battery noise

Reaction score
hi, i own a yamaha piaggero NP-V60.

i'm getting this loud electrical noise when the batteries die, here is a recording of the this sound with the keyboard volume set to half way (with some notes to give you a sense of relative volume):

http://www.markstockton.com/misc/batterynoise.mp3

i've tried using both 1.5V alkaline and 1.2V Ni-MH batteries and they both do it.

as you can imagine, if this happens during a performance people think my keyboard is broken and i have to explain that its just the batteries running out.

yamaha says this is normal.

has anyone else who owns a 'piaggero' keyboard experienced this problem?

The Y_man

Reaction score
It probably is normal.... similar to pulling the plug out of a TV.

How often do you run out? You might need to go to Lithium batteries?

The Y-man

Reaction score
yeah, the batteries do last for ~3 hours, so its not that much of a problem.

but this problem could be easily fixed with a relay, a transistor and a couple of resistors, basically 30p in components, and they should have already done this considering how long they've been making keyboards.

Reaction score
Using rechargeble 1.2 volt batteries in keyboards is a bad idea to begin with.
Just not enough power. You sure it is the batteries and not a bad potentiometer/volumeknob? Does it make loud 'cracklng' noises when you change volume? Only long distance guessing of course.

Reaction score
Using rechargeble 1.2 volt batteries in keyboards is a bad idea to begin with.
Just not enough power. You sure it is the batteries and not a bad potentiometer/volumeknob? Does it make loud 'cracklng' noises when you change volume? Only long distance guessing of course.

no but i would like to know if this is normal for all piaggero keyboards, or if it is just a defect with mine.

need someone with the same keyboard to see this thread :)

Reaction score
sorry I haven't used batteries yet.Don't plan on it either but if I do I will try to let you know what happens.Maybe I should get some to make sure I have no problem with it working

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, i found that the noise is less intense when using alkaline batteries over NiMH.

offtopic note: i'm using this "alkaline recharger" with regular Duracells and so far it's been working really well, they only charge 10 times but last longer, i may even stop using NiMH rechargables as i can pick up a pack of 4 Duracells for £1, something to consider if your buying batteries:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150653081988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Ask a Question