Best keyboard/controller

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of good things about the old Yamaha KX88 but they don't come up for sale very often.

What would you guys recommend as a decent new controller these days? I'd appreciate any advice!

Reaction score
I would actually also likes some good hints on controllers. I'm searching for something with 88 keys, pitch and modulation wheels (preferably a joystick like on most Korg workstations) and a ribbon controller, maybe 2 extra buttons.

I've been searching a bit on my own, but I haven't found any controllers at all with a Ribbon, nor with a Korg-like joystick.

Sorry for hijacking your thread a little, hopefully we will both get answers :)

Reaction score
It really depends on the type of action and control you're looking for. If you're looking for a keyboard controller that has (in my opinion) the best piano action, then there's never been anything like the Roland A-80. I just picked up my second one used for $425 on Craigslist. For playing piano, there's nothing even close. Then pair it up with a nice sound module. It doesn't have the "zip strip" ribbon, but it does have both the wheels and joystick for pitch bend and modulation, so you can use either one. It also has aftertouch, tons of programmable options and controls, buttons, sliders, etc.

I picked up a B-stock M-Audio Keystation 88-es for playing stuff that requires lighter action, like organ, synth, or other types of sampled instruments.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I've actually been looking on the M-Audio Keystation 88-es earlier, but I'm not really sure how semi-weighted keys are... I've been trying to get that knowledge by trying out a few keyboards in the stores, but they never write on the descriptions if the keys are semi-weighted or lightweighted or whatever >.<.

So, if you could explain what semi-weighted keys feels like, it would help a lot :)

Reaction score
I've just bought a M-Audio Prokeys 88sx which I think has the same keyboard as the 88-es. Semi-weighted action is hard to describe, apart from as "halfway between weighted and not" which is not helpful. In my experience, the semi-weighted keys are literally just heavier and generally don't have things like hammer action or graded touch. I bought the 88sx because I realised that my snobbish fingers are not going to find the perfect piano feel without a pay rise and abolition of tuition fees.

Basically, to me the sx is a halfway house. It is light enough for organ playing, but heavy enough for piano, as long as you don't try any serious classical playing. (Oh and don't use the mod wheel on the organ patch, it sounds horrendous...)

Reaction score
I guess that the best way for me to find out how they are is to find a semi-weighted keyboard on the net, and go try it in a store.

Thanks for helping, though :)

Reaction score
M-Audio ProKeys 88sx - verdict?

Hi Sargas,

Did you ever get to try the "M-Audio ProKeys 88sx 88-key Lightweight Stage Piano with Semi-Weighted Action" in the end? What did you think?

I'm looking for a lightweight (<18lbs) gigging keyboard and it sounds like it has potential....

Reaction score
It's certainly portable - I spent 10 days last month lugging it around Edinburgh which was fine (the amp was a different story...). It's easily the slimmest stage piano around before you get into controllers.

Reaction score
Hi Sargas,

Did you ever get to try the "M-Audio ProKeys 88sx 88-key Lightweight Stage Piano with Semi-Weighted Action" in the end? What did you think?

I'm looking for a lightweight (<18lbs) gigging keyboard and it sounds like it has potential....

Unfortunately not, most of the music stores nearby are very limited when it comes to keyboards, so none of them had it :/

But as soon as I found out that it had semi-weighted keys, and I managed to try another semi-weighted keyboard, which I did not like... I kinda lost my interest in it, since, at first, I thought it had weighted keys :/

Reaction score
Mourndark,

Was wondering what case (hard/soft? what make?) you've got for your "M-Audio ProKeys 88sx 88-key Lightweight Stage Piano with Semi-Weighted Action"?

Thanks

Ed

Reaction score
Semi-weighted keys very quite a bit between manufacturers and even between models by a single manufacturer. I used to have an M-Audio Axiom 61 and KeyStation 88es and the action was very different on both. I was reasonably happy with the Axiom, a bit less happy with the KeyStation. I also have a Nord Stage which is also semi-weighted, and completely love the action there, so it's really preference. I strongly recommend trying the exact model you're thinking about buying; the feel will probably be different from any other model, and even the choice of sound you play with will vary your opinion of the action somewhat.

Reaction score
For a weighted key controiller, I found a great deal on an older Ensoniq KT88
(88 keys) keyboard. It is not the best weighted keys feel, but they can occasionally be found at very inexpensive prices ( because the on-board sounds are un-remarkable by todays standards). I controlled an Emulator IV module & custom piano sample and just adjusted the velocity curve on the Emu until the response "felt right". Still, I was thinking of trying the Prokeys myself as a possible upgrade in feel (?)

Ask a Question