Better solution than an amp for a PA novice?

Reaction score
Hi, there. Managed to find a good price on a Kurzweil Forte and the thing is amazing. However, I've never been happy with how any keyboard has sounded through an amp (quality & mono), although my experience is pre-1998. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent PA system that they like that's self-contained, not too expensive or heavy? I'm playing mostly piano & organ with a roots band in small clubs, if that helps. Also, I saw a solution that has the left & right outs each going into a Roland Cube, which they really thought had excellent sound. Does anyone do anything like that? I know this is pretty naive, but I've been out of the playing world for a while, to the point that it seems odd that a keyboardist would have their own, dedicated PA, so any advice on even where to start would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

CC

Reaction score
I've never used my own amp for FOH - I run through the FOH PA that the band is using at the venue.

However for rehearsal and on-stage monitoring I used to always use bass combo amps. I always found them better than dedicated keyboard amps to my ear. These days however I use a JBL EON 515XT as my on-stage monitor. Sounds great and has plenty of grunt.

EdK

Reaction score
I always run my keys through FOH and in stereo whenever possible as I feel the audience deserves to receive the fullest/richest sound possible.

Depending on the situation (small indoor setup, large indoor ballroom, outside, etc) dictates whether I'll hire a sound company/engineer or use personal equipment.

In large indoor ballroom or outdoor situations, I'l always hire a sound company/engineer because they have far more and appropriate equipment...multiple mains, subs, etc (not to mention not having to bother transporting/setting up). In those cases, I'll have a separate mix to hear myself from the on-stage monitors where I'm not concerned with not hearing exactly what the audience hears.

In smaller situations, I'll bring my Mackie 808S powered mixers, mains and monitors. I usually feed a small separate amp with my keyboard only (in mono) and use it as a personal monitor and generally rely on hearing the rest of the band from the on-stage monitors which I find works for me.

As for my small amp, I currently use a Nady RPA-4 (single unit) 4-channel portable PA. It's not the greatest sounding amp but I use it primarily because its a single unit and the variety of the different types of gigs I do where I need something more than something like a Roland Cube, as it also has XLR inputs for mics. . .

IMO...keyboards sound their best when using a PA system in stereo however many sound engineers prefer not to deal with stereo. Even in mono, keyboards sound best through a PA. Also, I stay away from a speakers that use ribbon (titanium) tweeters. They're too bright for my taste. I prefer horn tweeters. And never less than 15" woofers.

Of course, all of this is just what I prefer.

Ed

Reaction score
i am chucking the Mackie for a Space Station v.3 ( a single point stereo combo amp) that I just paid $700 for. I had the older version but it was way too fussy and input had to be re-EQ'ed every time I turned it up or down. (tons of mid-range like an open back guitar amp and needed a really hot feed to get good volume.) That said, it always needed a sub or a bass combo amp used as a sub. The new one is fine for a personal stereo monitor ( I always go through the PA.) for rehearsals, a piano solo or "acoustic" gig (piano jazz trio or duo) it is even good enough standing alone. It isn't perfect but it is ONE PIECE and it's 11" x11" x 24" with a good 110db of (front/side) stereo output that can be heard 180 degrees.

Befroe this I always used a Mackie 408s and two EV 12" speakers on stands. It's a big stage footprint and It is a pain to haul 3 pieces plus the sands and cords, but as a bandleader, It's also my small venue PA. As a sideman, it has direct out and I just point the speakers toward me. These speakers have pegs in the back to turn them into floor monitors if I want that. I have put them behind me, on either side of me, and right in front facing the back of the stage, depending on the sound man's needs. More than anything I like being able to turn up when suddenly the performing volume on stage is 10x louder than it was during sound check. (Doesn't this ALWAYS seem to happen on an indoor gig?) I love good sound techs but they always stay out front during the show to monitor what the audience hears and never think that what the performers hear controls what they can and can't play.

Ask a Question