Bought my first keyboard, doesn't sound a like piano. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently bought an 88 Weighted-key Korg digital piano off craigslist. It's specifically a "Korg Digital Piano: DP-3000C" with a "Korg X5DR" black box on top. The keyboard it self has small number of presets "Piano (1, 2, & 3), E.Piano (1, 2, & 3), then it's gets weird: Clav, ..., Bell, ..., Flute, ect..", out of all these premade options, everything sounds like it's either high pitched or from an old video game (not at all like I imagined it would, why doesn't anything sound like normal piano??).

Before purchasing the keyboard I was inspired to learn to play after using the site VirtualPiano.com. The site maps a computer keyboard to a digital piano, and can just type letters to play. It's a simple website, but the sound it leagues better than this real full size keyboard. How is that?

The black box (Korg X5DR) also has about 200 premade options, but those are even weirder... Options like "Honkey Tonk" or "Echo Drop" and "Goblin". I'm not entirely sure what anyone would use them for.

I apologize for my ignorance on the topic. If anyone one has any knowledge or advice I truly appreciate it.

Thanks, Cameron.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Cameron,

I'm not at all familiar with this keyboard, nor the module, but you're right that piano doesn't sound too good. This is a very ancient keyboard with what looks like pretty lo-fi built-in speakers so it may well be that that's just how it sounds. Which may also explain why the previous owner bought the module to supplement it.

Do you have the manuals for these bad boys? If not, here they are: http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/85/2068/ and http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/234/1695/

My first suggestion would be to disconnect the module and double check you've selected the sound on the DP3000C that you think you have, using the manual as a guide.

My next suggestion would be to reconnect the module and make sure you understand how to connect it properly, and how to select the sounds on that, again to be sure you're selecting the sound you think you are.

If you're still getting no further, you might try asking a question at this wonderful place. Lots of Korg experts here who might be able to assist: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php

Good luck with it!

Reaction score
Hello Cowboy,

That seems like some very useful advice. I'l be sure to look through some of the manuals, try the board by itself, and make sure the module is connected properly. Wasn't aware of the korgforums, I'll definitely give that a go as well.

Really appreciate you finding the manuals online. Getting the board set-up, and trying to figure out how it all works was overwhelming. So, starting from the basics is a good idea.

Also, I posted this same question on reddit (/r/keys and /r/piano), some of the people there recommended two options:

1) Buy a newer black box (people have been calling it ("Module" and "Synthesizer"), specifically a simpler one with basic piano sounds. {Someone recommended this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGAN3N6/}

2) Use my keyboard as a midi (which I think means: connect my keyboard to my computer and use it to play different sounds off my computer). {lots of recommendations here for softwares and piano sound packages to download}

What are your thoughts on those two solutions for getting a better sound? Neither of those ideas mentioned your thoughts about the lowfi speakers or having my module connected improperly.

Thanks again,
Cameron

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Cameron,
When I bought my second hand keyboard it too sounded odd. It was programmed to play a certain way. The original owner made adjustments to suit his playing desire.
I also seeked advice (like you are doing)
My easy fix was to perform a factory reset.
I did this and all is now perfect.
Maybe try that.
Good luck Ray:)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Cameron,

Buying a cheap MIDI hardware module really won't do you any good.

The difference between what your Korg is outputting and what you would like to to hear is mainly a difference in PCM Wave quality between a 30 year old MIDI Piano and state of the art sampling and PCM technology.

Your best options are to either buy a good quality hardware MIDI Module to hook it up to like a recent model Roland Sound Canvas or a Yamaha Motif Rack Module or a Ketron SD2. Look around for used ones on Craigslist and Ebay.

OR...

You could use the piano as a MIDI controller for a computer based VST plugin with a decent piano voice.

OR...

You could simply try adding a multi effects pedal to your Korg's output and jack it up with some digital delay, reverb and sustain effects.

Options 2 and 3 are your cheapest bets.

Outputting your audio through a decent set of 2.1 monitors or headphones or a keyboard amp might also go a long way toward improving the output sound quality as well.

The biggest problem you are facing is that "quality audio" and "cheapest price" are generally mutually exclusive properties.

While I appreciate that you purchased entry level used hardware at a rock bottom price, you have to realize that if you are really dead set on learning piano and nothing more then your better choice might have been a used Casio Privia PX-150 or PX-350 instead of a 30 year old stage piano on its last legs.

In fact, your best option may be to sell off the korg again to someone else and look around for one of the Casios I mentioned.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
1) Buy a newer black box (people have been calling it ("Module" and "Synthesizer"), specifically a simpler one with basic piano sounds. {Someone recommended this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGAN3N6/}
HI Cameron,

Here is what your X5DR should sound like:

You should be able to hook up your keyboard to your X5DR and get these sounds. If you like them, there's no need to buy another module.

What I believe may be limiting you here could be a) your understanding of how to properly connect the X5DR to play it using your keyboard as a controller, or b) the speakers that you're playing it through.

I don't have any specific knowledge of your module or keyboard, and I'm far from a genius at midi as I've rarely used it, but there are those here who are quite clever at it. I'm also hopeful someone on the Korg forums may own the same module as you and be able to guide you.

Cheers!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The X5DR has very decent sounds. You don't really need anything else.

Here's how to hook it up properly so you get some decent piano sounds.
Piano Module Hookup.jpg

Purchase the appropriate cables for your particular hookup and you should be good to go.

Do NOT use a Guitar Amp.

Otherwise a home stereo setup or a Bass Amp or a Keyboard Amp or a set of Studio Monitors or even a decent set of 2.1 Computer speakers can be used with the appropriate adapter cables.

All you really need are the audio cables and a 5 PIN DIN MIDI Cable to hook the module up to your keyboard.

This is all you really need to start playing some decent sounds.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The first thing I thought of when I watched your video was it sounded like some spinets I've heard. I understand your dissatisfaction.

On thing I have not seen mentioned on this thread yet is 30-year old speakers. Speaker technology has changed significantly in the last 10 years, and the speakers in this Korg would be both old technology and past their prime. Some of the suggestions would route the sound through other speakers, but with the addition of some complexity. I sure appreciate being able to just sit down at my keyboard, push the on switch, and start playing. Besides cost and sound quality, you may be looking at how much complexity you are willing to maintain to get the sound you want.

I fully support your moving to a keyboard to learn. In my case I started with an upright piano given to me by my grandmother, then I added a keyboard to supplement my practice opportunities and have never regretted it.

Greg

Reaction score
I have an X5D. The "M1 Piano" (a Korg "combi" patch is a decent 1980-vintage DP sound. But it was an inexpensive synth then, and has not improved with age.

Ask a Question