Can I send just the midi signal for the sustain pedal to another keyboard?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to use one sustain pedal for my RD88 and a Nord Electro. Is this possible? The way the manual read it seemed like it always send 'note' info.

thanks for any info.

Dan

Reaction score
If the pedal is pluggied into to the Electro, the answer is no (but the Nord Stage 3 permits it). Based on what I'm seeing in the RD88 manual, that one can't do it either. But if you want a single foot-press to send sustain to both keyboards, you can take two of the simple flat square sustain pedals and glue/velcro them right next to each other onto a small piece of plywood or similar. Then you can easily press the two pedals down simultaneously. This also has the advantage of letting you still sustain just one or the other by pressing on one side or the other (instead of from the center). There are many times having the sustain pedal affect just one keyboard can be very useful.

Reaction score
Sustain pedals come in two forms: normally 'open' and normally 'closed'. Most are normally open. Assuming that the pedal works on both keyboards then the answer appears simple to me: use on of these:

link

Recognize that using this approach that whenever you depress the pedal both keyboards will sustain at the same time.

Another alternative is to use this pedal so that you can independently sustain the keyboards at different time:

link2

This pedal has two pedals and two TS connectors, one pedal would sustain one keyboard and the other pedal would sustain the other keyboard independently.

Reaction score
Ok, so I forgot to mention the fact that my Nord sustain pedal input has been broken for many years, so Ive been sending midi info from my Yamaha CP300, which was incredibly easy to do, but after retiring that beast to my studio, i bought the Rd88, foolishly imagining it would be just as easy as the yamaha...So, yeah, i need to send this pedal info via midi or pay a ridiculous amount to ship and and have my Nord fixed....

Reaction score
Since the real goal here seems to be, not to have both keyboards sustain at the same time, but rather to replace the broken sustain pedal functionality of your Nord, another approach would be to use something that would allow you to plug a sustain pedal into the Nord's MIDI Input. I think a MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller or an Audiofront MIDI Expression iO would do it. Or a MIDI pedal unit, i.e. Behringer FCB1010. You could also connect another small keyboard as long as it has a sustain pedal jack and a 5-pin MIDI Out (or something that can give you 5-pin MIDI Out with an adapter), which I think could open up possibilities like Novation Launchkey Mini MK3, M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini, IK Multimedia iRig Keys 2 (37 version), Arturia Keystep (32) etc., which could also have other uses for you (there are models with pads, with aftertouch, etc., which you may find useful for other purposes). The CME XKey 37 is particularly compact.

Reaction score
Ok, so I forgot to mention the fact that my Nord sustain pedal input has been broken for many years, so Ive been sending midi info from my Yamaha CP300, which was incredibly easy to do, but after retiring that beast to my studio, i bought the Rd88, foolishly imagining it would be just as easy as the yamaha...So, yeah, i need to send this pedal info via midi or pay a ridiculous amount to ship and and have my Nord fixed....
As Scott mentioned above, he's talking about one of these: link

$119 new; might find one used, not sure though. Also, the midi solutions pedal requires midi power. If your keyboard does not support midi power you'll also need to purchase a 5V adapter to power the midi solutions box, i.e. more expense. For $119 you might just want to get the sustain jack fixed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
just for a quick follow up, I spoke with a guy at Midi Solutions, he was incredibly helpful and more than informative. I purchased the Midi Solutions Event Processor, this seems to be exactly what I need. It can filter out what midi info I want sent and what I do not. Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

Ask a Question