Can you recommend a portable piano/organ/rhodes combo for gigging?

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha P90 but it's too heavy for the sort of gigging I'm doing with jazz and soul bands.

I'd like something with a good piano/rhodes/organ sound, a good touch, 5 or so octaves, and more portable. It doesn't need to have that many features, quality of the basic sounds is key, as is weight and the quality of the touch.

I'm willing to spend £500-£1000 absolute max to get something decent.

Any suggestions? Recommendations would be brill.

Ta! :)

Reaction score
only 88 keys version keyboards come with full weighted keys. So if you're
looking for a "good feel" on 61 or 76 versions you won't get what you're looking for.

Most of the top-end keyboards have semi-weighted keys but they are
waaaaaaaaaay lighter then the hammer action keys.

If that's OK with you then we can talk about what keyboard to get.
Oh, yea... every stage piano comes in 88 keys version so you'll be
getting some sort of workstation which has a lot of features by default :)

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha P90 but it's too heavy for the sort of gigging I'm doing with jazz and soul bands.

I'd like something with a good piano/rhodes/organ sound, a good touch, 5 or so octaves, and more portable. It doesn't need to have that many features, quality of the basic sounds is key, as is weight and the quality of the touch.

I'm willing to spend £500-£1000 absolute max to get something decent.

Any suggestions? Recommendations would be brill.

Ta! :)

P90 isn't that heavy - 40lbs., I think? The Yamaha S90ES is 55 lbs.! As is the Roland RD700SX...

You won't find anything lighter than 40 lbs. that you like the feel of, except maybe the new Roland RD700GX - which is listed as 36lbs. I haven't tried one yet, they're not yet available in the stores near me... :mad:

Reaction score
You're right - I guess any compromise on weight and you've also lost the weighted keys. I checked out the Nord electro, and the guy in the shop told me it was the only thing that combined the rhodes/organ/piano sounds into something portable for gigging. I don't really like the rhodes or organ sounds on the P90.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Can't you tell he's posting from the future? In 2037 the next big thing is the Klepzorg B9000 with Illudium 235 Thought modulator :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
64 notes
Piano hammer action
Good piano, organ and EP sounds
12.8Kg (28lbs)

= Roland RD64

Ask a Question