can't get keyboard working

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Gary,

this is the chronology of the events:
I downloaded this new (to me new) free notation program called Musescore, up until this time I used cubase and all was well, this particular program required MIDI connection, first I plugged midi out to midi in to interface (tascam) and of course tascam connects with computer with USB. I tried to play the key and see if the program would record (write sheet music as you play) I didn't get any response and then I tried to reconnect cable using "through" plug on keyboard but it's hard for me to say when the switch happened but for sure after running that particular program ….
Also, I don't know what “soft reset” is, I just turned the keyboard off and on and even after disconnecting from the comp the keyboard stayed like that.
The last 12 keys on the keyboard sounds normal, the way they should, the more left I go the more the keys get lower in pitch until all the keys sound the same, very low …

My comp is windows XP, sony Vaio, around 6 years old.
Hope this helps you,

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, powering down and up is considered a "soft reset."

At this point I'd try a "hard reset" or "factory reset" or as they refer to it in page 27 of the manual a "system initialization."

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/EX7E1.PDF

That should get things working again for you but at that point you will lose any registrations or personal settings unless you back them up first.

And the proper way to connect up is MIDI IN to MIDI OUT and MIDI OUT to MIDI IN.

MIDI is a serial loop that requires both cables usually. MIDI THRU is normally only used when you're chaining a few modules and want to send controls without affecting other instruments in the chain.

Reaction score
hi Gary,
so factory reset procedure will erase the sounds that the keyboard came with?
am I understanding it right that the resetting procedure requires Demonstration Disk to restore the preset data, if so then I don't think I have the disk, as I bought this keyboard used and it didn't come with any disks, or does this section from the manual mean that the disk is located internally in the keyboard and it's not a hard copy they are talking about? :)

"If at any time you want to restore the original factory preset data,
simply load the Factory Set file — file name: “FACTSET1/2/3/4.S1Y” — from the appropriate
Demonstration Disk via the Disk mode Load Synth All function (the same procedure described above
except for the file type selection [2. SYN, in this case] for loading the demo song files)"

sorry, it's just confusing for me.

thanks for all the help,
levan

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not 100% certain whether or not it would erase all the presets or not. The wording of the manual is somewhat ambiguous.

My advice, before you proceed, is to contact Yamaha tech support @

http://usa.yamaha.com/support/contact/

Yamaha Customer Support – 714-522-9000

And you should be able to acquire the necessary disks as well should you need them.

Reaction score
After beating my computer with a stick like a monkey I finally tried updating my audio driver. That seems to have fixed everything =)
As for the latency it looks like my cheap motherboard's chip isn't quite up to snuff for recording.
Thanks again for all the help! Hopefully I'll never have to use this thread again lol.
triumphant_man1.jpg
Hi,
I experience the same problemd with my Alesis DG8.
I connect it to Windows 7 Laptop. My Sequencer software (and I tried a few of them) does see USB 2 MIDI driver. I am able to play a MIDI file on my Laptop and the sound comes out of Alessis DG8. But, if I try to record whatever I play on the electric piano, the Sequencer software gets some random garbage.

You said that you updated your sound driver and it solved your problem.
Can you please tell me which driver exactly you updated, where did you get it and how did you do it.
Greate thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hi,
I experience the same problemd with my Alesis DG8.
I connect it to Windows 7 Laptop. My Sequencer software (and I tried a few of them) does see USB 2 MIDI driver. I am able to play a MIDI file on my Laptop and the sound comes out of Alessis DG8. But, if I try to record whatever I play on the electric piano, the Sequencer software gets some random garbage.

You said that you updated your sound driver and it solved your problem.
Can you please tell me which driver exactly you updated, where did you get it and how did you do it.
Greate thanks for your help.
What driver is your computer running right now?. Mine is using the Realtek driver, so I went to the Realtek website and downloaded the latest driver from there.
Go to "my computer-> hardware and sound-> sound) and see what your computer is running on.

Reaction score
What driver is your computer running right now?. Mine is using the Realtek driver, so I went to the Realtek website and downloaded the latest driver from there.
Go to "my computer-> hardware and sound-> sound) and see what your computer is running on.

Thanks,
I am not sure if I am looking at the right place, but at the hardware and sound-> sound I see "Speacker /Headphones" and it says Microsoft Software Wavetable synthesizer.
Myy Alesis is not connected right now to my laptop, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks,
I am not sure if I am looking at the right place, but at the hardware and sound-> sound I see "Speacker /Headphones" and it says Microsoft Software Wavetable synthesizer.
Myy Alesis is not connected right now to my laptop, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Plugging in the alesis won't change anything driver related. I think you'll need to visit the motherboards website for the audio driver you need.
Click the windows button and search "system information". click on the system information program, and read what the "system manufacturer", and "system model" says. From there you can google the manufacturers website and download the audio driver for your model type.

Ask a Question