Casio CTK-6600 How to record to SD Card

Reaction score
Righto - having a bit more luck with page E103 Saving Digital Keyboard Data of the manual.

Which file is best to copy audio from - Midi or CMS? File size only 4kb for 40 seconds ... I wonder if Audacity will be able to see it?

Still looks complicated to sort our the recordings in keyboard memory. Now I need to find out how to delete these recording. lol ... OH please do excuse my little hissy fit whilst I think out loud. Is .good way for me to learn, whilst others can jump on in.

- Audacity imports but both CMS & Midi file playback is unusable. Let me guess - I need to spend money to convert to mp3. Grrrrrrr All the companies seem to be doing it these days.

I think I will just record my system audio like when I rip online radio stations to my desktop. In the mean time I'll just work out how to delete recorded songs that are now stored in my keyboards memory. I'm not happy with the Casio File Formats but I am guessing none the the Keyboard companies make it easy to record into a more usable format. I should of known better and asked about this fact before making a purchase. I have learned the hard way to avoid camera manufactures based on binding file formats.

Anyways - this musically challenged individual is ready to move on. Thanks for the help.

LOL ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK I can delete the songs and copy over like a pro - Still peeved I can't record straight to mp3 or at least export like so. None the less another technical issue overcome. I actually like not being tethered to a PC and just using the sheet music.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Audacity imports but both CMS & Midi file playback is unusable.

That's because a MIDI file is a file of playing information, not sound information. A MIDI file will say what key is pressed, (maybe) what knob is turned, (maybe) what patch is changed. But the sound generation would be done by whatever is playing the MIDI file, not the sounds in the original keyboard.

Even GM (General MIDI) patch numbers don't have the same sound from machine to machine. Yes, number 51 is synthetic strings. But synthetic strings on your CTK-6600 may sound very different from the same patch number on my DGX-650. And that assumes the box you have knows GM.

A MIDI file will be much, MUCH smaller than an audio file. To save an audio file, you'll need to bring the sound to a computer, where you can save it as a WAV for free, and as an MP3 for very little money. There's plenty of free software out there that can do either. (Actually, you may be able to do an MP3 for free, too. Im not sure if I had to pay for the DLL; it's been a while.) The specifications for the keyboard only mention saving MIDI information, not audio, on the SD card.

Reaction score
I appreciated the detailed explanation. I guess It will become second nature to record a second time (seems counterproductive this day and age) into a more acceptable format. Your response explains quite a bit. I guess the midi file makes it easier to use with mixing programs. All very interesting. At least now I know how to use the sequencing part of my keyboard. I look forward to when I can use that feature as well as import and play along with other midis too.

Thx for the response there Fred, much appreciated.
~ Dave.

Reaction score
Glad to see you've actually began hitting some notes although my flash player is messed up and I can't watch it.
Put differently perhaps is that midi manifests as notes in sheet music form as well as the instrument you or someone else chose in the midi program and all of the note properties such as duration, volume etc. These are .mid files. You can usually import audio files like .wav to midi programs but they show as raw audio just like any audio editor not as notes etc. I'm using free anvil studio for midis and midi editing and composing until I'm sure which upgrade program I should get. Audacity is not midi as far as I know. It is simply a player, recorder, editor of sound files. From what I've read and I could be easily wrong is that there is still really no good program to convert audio files to midi notes etc. even though some claim they can Their reviews say otherwise. If you were to try anvil the main trick for a beginner would be to assure your keyboard or midi interface is configured in it and set as the input/output. The trick is that you click "view" from the top menu bar then click "Synthesizers Midi, Audio Devices" and you should see your keyboard or interface in the scroll downs for input and output. Then click view> composer to go back where you were. You might find it pretty cool to download a free midi song or two and watch your keyboard play it. With that I think you also might be right off to figuring it all out too. Like Fred said, midi files are very small. You can find about any free midi song you want. Once you download a midi and open it and play it to your keyboard you can edit stuff like the instrument per track, note properties etc. In anvil, if you also have your midi or USB output to the PC and you hit notes you will see the notes you played appear on the sheet. I have tons of classical midis I downloaded free so I know those are available. Fred and about everyone knows more than me but I'm just giving you my beginners understanding which I hope might simplify some just to get you going and then be able to easier see to move on. BTW, midi files usually sound pretty bad until you edit and optimize the notes and instruments to your instrument and a few just can't really be fixed. Songs that are like piano only or less instruments often sound pretty decent right away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent information! I will look more into your saying there Alchemy. You sound pretty switched on to me.

Ask a Question