Chord

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a KORG PA 50 arrangement, it is old but works for me :)
In my left hand,
for holding chord G, I press GBD, and the keyboard display is showing me G.
for holding chord G#m, I press G#BD#, and the keyboard display is showing me G#m.

when I change to hold chord Am, I press ACE, and the keyboard display is showing me Am.
Now when I hold the G#BD# , the keyboard display is showing me Abm! I am holding the same keys here!

Why the chord indicator is showing something else?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My guess would be that the keyboard uses some kind of "smart" chord-detection logic which takes the previous chord into consideration when deciding what to call the current chord.

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a KORG PA 50 arrangement, it is old but works for me :)
In my left hand,
for holding chord G, I press GBD, and the keyboard display is showing me G.
for holding chord G#m, I press G#BD#, and the keyboard display is showing me G#m.

when I change to hold chord Am, I press ACE, and the keyboard display is showing me Am.
Now when I hold the G#BD# , the keyboard display is showing me Abm! I am holding the same keys here!

Why the chord indicator is showing something else?

That is only possible if it doesn't take in account the previous chord. Btw, a chord like G# - B - D# has a lot of other functions. I filled in the notes G# - B - D# in this automatic chord analyzer (https://www.music-chords.com/exercises/chords-analyzer) and got this:

Major Keys

*** F# Major
II, minor triad,
G#•B•D#, G# is bass, G# is root, symbol is G#m

*** Gb Major
II, minor triad,
Ab•Cb(B)•Eb, Ab is bass, Ab is root, symbol is Abm

*** E Major
III, minor triad,

*** B Major
VI, minor triad,

** Eb Major Moll-Dur or Borrowed Chord (lowered 6)
IV, minor triad,

Minor Keys

*** G# Minor Natural
I, minor triad,

*** D# Minor Natural
IV, minor triad,

*** Eb Minor Natural
IV, minor triad,

*** C# Minor Natural
V, minor triad,

** Bb Minor Natural + Neapolitan (lowered 2) or Phrygian
VII, minor triad,

Reaction score
Hello, Rowy and thanks for answering me.
I see that in your analysis is words like "dur", så I thought you might be.
Anyway. I am trying to memorize chords combinations and their name.
When the same combination can get several names, it makes learning complicated.
I knew that some combinations may have different names, but did not know that each combination can have so many names!

Any suggestion on how easy I could learn chords?

Reaction score
Not really. I've had a classical training. If you've studied harmony, you can make any chord you want, even on paper. It's just theory. I guess if you're in popular music, you could use a book with chords and learn them by hart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look at the number of unplayed 1/2 tones between the notes played in say a C major. The number of unplayed 1/2 tones is the same between notes whatever is the root note of any major chord that is played.

Repeat for minor chords and for the others groupings.

It is a quick and easy way to learn chords and dispenses with the cover to cover book method which then becomes just for reference.

Just keep practicing then you learn muscle memory and will not even think it will just happen.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
My Yamaha will show I am playing G#m if I am playing other sharp or major chords within the same style.
However, it will indicate it as Abm if I am playing other flat chords. (say Bb or Db)

Same chord, same sound, different nomenclature only.

Ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
@Rayblewit may have just provided a clue, even though the behavior was on a Korg keyboard rather than a Yamaha keyboard.

The MIDI standard includes a "Key Signature" meta message, which specifies the number of sharps or flats in the musical key, as well as whether it's a major or minor key.

For instance, a key signature with 0 sharps or flats indicates the key of C if it's a major key, but indicates the key of Am if it's a minor key.

And chords are normally named in accordance to the key signature of the musical piece they're played in. For example, if the key signature contains sharps then the chord in question would presumably be referred to as G#m, whereas if the key signature contains flats then the same chord would presumably be referred to as Abm.

This could be the explanation for chords which are being played while a given song or style are selected on the keyboard, assuming the song or style contains a MIDI "Key Signature" meta event.

But if there is no song or style being used, or if there is but it contains no "Key Signature" event, or if it does but the key signature contains no sharps or flats, then any differences in the way the keyboard identifies the exact same chord (or combination of keys being pressed) is-- in my opinion-- likely to be due to any "smart" method of chord detection employed by the keyboard.

The only way to be sure about what's going on, and to understand the logic well enough to try to predict what chord name is likely to be displayed for a given set of notes in a given scenario, such as when playing a specific chord progression, would be to contact the keyboard manufacturer and ask them.

Ask a Question