Considering buying a site unseen used tyros4.

Reaction score
buying online will only have a short time to see if it works.
I assume there is no self test feature built in.
other than pressing every key is there a good way of determining if everything works?
as a tyros 4 it will be 6 to 10 years old. are they usually unreliable?
Are parts available?
are they usually repairable?
Is it the sort of thing that would be taken on the road by bands?

it is about the same price as a new PSR-S975 or PSR SX900

anything else i need to ask?

thanks guys

Reaction score
Buying sight unseen is only worthwhile if the price is right and you have a guaranteed no hassle return for a full refund.

Any Tyros is a complex piece of kit and testing is more than just pressing keys, the functions those keys also needs to be checked out.

They are pretty reliable.

They are repairable but at a cost.

Band use, most definitely not. Arrangers are more for single bar room performers or for accompanying lounge room singers.

Forget the S970 it is an old model essentially superseded by the SX900, and if the price of the Tyros is the same as a new SX900 then it is a rip off price.

Go for a new SX900, well no don’t a new SX900 is similar in price to a Korg Pa1000 and that is imho a much superior arranger.

If you want something for band use then a Yamaha MODX or a Roland FA or Roland Juno DS or Korg Krome or Korg Kross 2 would be a better buy and less cash.

Reaction score
What keyboards are you used to playing?

Also, what would you say your keyboard skill level is?

The SX900 is a step below the top of the range Yamaha Genos, but there is also an SX700 or the equivalent cost wise in the Korg Pa700.

Hence maybe one of these would be a better buy.

If that is, you are after an Arranger.

Reaction score
I would suggest if you can to goto a music store which has them both and play them back to back.

That is what I did with the Korg Pa700 and Yamaha PSR S770 which was the current model at that time.

It was a no contest, the Korg was head and shoulders better.

I had not bought a Korg before having previously been a Yamaha owner.

So please do not get hung up on Yamaha, road test them both.

I have recently heard both an SX700 and 900 and to my ears the Korg is still the King of arrangers.

But, it is what you prefer that matters.

Last edited:

Den

Reaction score
Just out of interest, I have just bought a T4 in England sight unseen as I live in Australia. I bought it for a friend and it is going very well. I have a T4 and I bought a PSR SX900 on impulse. The SX900 almost went into the bin. I sold it for what I paid for it which was dirt cheap. In my opinion the Tyros 4 is the best keyboard that has ever been made. I have tried most of the kbds and the really down one was the Genos.
If you can afford the T4 then that's the one. Regards, Den.

Reaction score
It would cost me the equivalent of 100 AUD to post a keyboard from one place to another in England. To Oz is another matter. Hope it is insured, the scumbags at one Delivery company is used “Lost” the $300 goods and it took 10 weeks to get the payout.

Reaction score
other than pressing every key is there a good way of determining if everything works?
Are parts available?

thanks guys
What is the price for a used T4??????

Den

Reaction score
I have been misunderstood. I bought the T4 for a friend and he is having a great time with it. I had a Genos at home for a day after playing the thing in various music shops around Au. I dumped it. My opinion only. I bought the PSR SX900 and could not wait for it to go. It has gone. I would not part with my T4. My opinion only.
My Tyros 4
To the tune of “Put Your Sweet Lips a little closer to the Phone”

I’m so glad that you have answered all my posts
The Genos and the Korg are now just ghosts,
I’ve heard the songs and sounds that you all play
So now, my Tyros 4 just has to stay.

You say the sounds and tones are oh so good
And at the price you pay they really should
But touching screens and toggle sticks are not my way
So now, my Tyros 4 is here to stay.

I have played my alto sax a lot and it is sweet and low
I have tweaked my real strings again and they are oh so slow

They say that “want,” like love, can make you blind
So the Genos and the Korg are not my kind
I’ve seen the pics and heard the sounds that’s all I’ll say
Regards, Den.

Reaction score
Are parts available?

thanks guys
I had my T4 SE for 5 years - home use - with never a problem. Decided to upgrade to the SX 900 - what a huge mistake. So complicated and not user friendly. Part ex'd for a T5 76. What a relief. So easy to master every aspect of this superb keyboard.

Reaction score
I have been misunderstood. I bought the T4 for a friend and he is having a great time with it. I had a Genos at home for a day after playing the thing in various music shops around Au. I dumped it. My opinion only. I bought the PSR SX900 and could not wait for it to go. It has gone. I would not part with my T4. My opinion only.
My Tyros 4
To the tune of “Put Your Sweet Lips a little closer to the Phone”

I’m so glad that you have answered all my posts
The Genos and the Korg are now just ghosts,
I’ve heard the songs and sounds that you all play

You say the sounds and tones are oh so good
And at the price you pay they really should
But touching screens and toggle sticks are not my way
So now, my Tyros 4 is here to stay.

I have played my alto sax a lot and it is sweet and low
I have tweaked my real strings again and they are oh so slow

They say that “want,” like love, can make you blind
So the Genos and the Korg are not my kind
I’ve seen the pics and heard the sounds that’s all I’ll say
Regards, Den.
Sold my beloved T4 SE and bought a SX900. What a disappointment. Far too complicated and that touch screen.....how many times do you have to dab it? Sold it after 9 months and got a T5/76 .....What a huge difference. So easy to understand all aspects and get things done quickly with no fuss. This is my last keyboard after 35 years and countless Casios, Technics and Yamahas.

Reaction score
Sold my beloved T4 SE and bought a SX900. What a disappointment. Far too complicated and that touch screen.....how many times do you have to dab it? Sold it after 9 months and got a T5/76 .....What a huge difference. So easy to understand all aspects and get things done quickly with no fuss. This is my last keyboard after 35 years and countless Casios, Technics and Yamahas.
Pleased that you have found your true love.

I have been very critical of Yamaha’s and you summed up why ...... how many times do you have to dab it?

Yamaha do seem to like a user to have to dab buttons and menu’s forever.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but I've spent 20 years getting accustomed to physical buttons and text menus on my keyboards and to be honest, if the quality of the touchscreen on my HP Laser Printer is ANY indication at all, I'm really not missing much with the embedded crappy touchscreens that get shoveled into consumer products these days.

It seems as if unless you buy a $1200 iPhone these days you are doomed to an endless cycle of upgrades as these things seem to inevitably fail within 5 years. (Maybe iPhones should NOT be excluded :D)

While I know my antique kurzweil is built like a Russian tank, I am also confident that DIY repairs WILL WORK on my timeless beauty and Kurzweil has a proven history of supporting their products with friendly and personal support for decades past and decades to come. (Unless Uncle Ray was wrong about the singularity :D :D :D)

Sometimes it pains me how they get totally overlooked in most of these conversations. :(

Gary ;)

Ask a Question