Considering buying a site unseen used tyros4.

Reaction score
buying online will only have a short time to see if it works.
I assume there is no self test feature built in.
other than pressing every key is there a good way of determining if everything works?
as a tyros 4 it will be 6 to 10 years old. are they usually unreliable?
Are parts available?
are they usually repairable?
Is it the sort of thing that would be taken on the road by bands?

it is about the same price as a new PSR-S975 or PSR SX900

anything else i need to ask?

thanks guys

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Buying sight unseen is only worthwhile if the price is right and you have a guaranteed no hassle return for a full refund.

Any Tyros is a complex piece of kit and testing is more than just pressing keys, the functions those keys also needs to be checked out.

They are pretty reliable.

They are repairable but at a cost.

Band use, most definitely not. Arrangers are more for single bar room performers or for accompanying lounge room singers.

Forget the S970 it is an old model essentially superseded by the SX900, and if the price of the Tyros is the same as a new SX900 then it is a rip off price.

Go for a new SX900, well no don’t a new SX900 is similar in price to a Korg Pa1000 and that is imho a much superior arranger.

If you want something for band use then a Yamaha MODX or a Roland FA or Roland Juno DS or Korg Krome or Korg Kross 2 would be a better buy and less cash.

Reaction score
What keyboards are you used to playing?

Also, what would you say your keyboard skill level is?

The SX900 is a step below the top of the range Yamaha Genos, but there is also an SX700 or the equivalent cost wise in the Korg Pa700.

Hence maybe one of these would be a better buy.

If that is, you are after an Arranger.

Reaction score
I would suggest if you can to goto a music store which has them both and play them back to back.

That is what I did with the Korg Pa700 and Yamaha PSR S770 which was the current model at that time.

It was a no contest, the Korg was head and shoulders better.

I had not bought a Korg before having previously been a Yamaha owner.

So please do not get hung up on Yamaha, road test them both.

I have recently heard both an SX700 and 900 and to my ears the Korg is still the King of arrangers.

But, it is what you prefer that matters.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question