DS88 downloading patterns/recordings to USB etc

Reaction score
Hi
My first question after searching on here and skimming through manual several times, it's probably partly just me being lazy but so far haven't found one simple method to accomplish above - what does everyone else do and could you talk me through it please? (senior moment)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Patterns and sequences in the Juno DS cannot be exported either as MIDI data to a computer or as a MID file to a thumb drive.

This is one of the biggest failings of this keyboard and one which Roland could easily fix with a firmware update.

I'd suggest contacting Roland and letting them know your dismay with this horrible oversight and if enough of us do so perhaps it will be rectified with a future firmware update.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Wow, that's blown me away completely Gary, so what format can be used? I haven't just bought a machine that can only be used for live performances surely?!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So far as I know you can only record the sequencer as audio with the line outs.

I just tried mine and the sequencer won't even start in DAW mode.

Like I said. This could easily be fixed with a firmware update but Roland has to be motivated to do so.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
as above, still reeling, but if you think of me as an ignoramus here, you must have some method of transferring in signal form rather than recording audibly from speakers?! - what's the most acceptable, possibly easiest route? line out to amp and then onto a stick or CD? - you can see I haven't dabbled for a while here..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Simply can't be done.

If you need to record a beat as MIDI you'll have to either input the notes manually in your DAW or else use a different sequencer like an Arturia Beatstep Pro.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
nope, lost me there, so you have a patch(?) of music combining synth, guitar, drums etc on your DS88 and you want to transfer it in it's purest form to put on Youtube for example, as you do. Could you talk this learner through the procedure please?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No.

If you're making a finished recording in one shot you'll have to record the audio out.

If you want to record it a track at a time then you would use a DAW software to record the MIDI for each track, one at a time and overlay each one in the finished product.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary

Just an update, after 12 months plus..
Well the revelation that it's particularly difficult to transfer stored music files on a DS88 to SoundCloud, YouTube etc absolutely knocked me for 6 and hence my little input to the Forum since the above. However, I have composed much since then so almost bursting at the seams to try and share this on a platform but despite watching all the Tutorials as kindly linked, I am still struggling to find the confidence (partly because it's new and hard to master at my age) to see this through to completion - I see that you have managed to get some compositions onto YouTube Gary?. If you felt like outlining a Total Layman's procedural approach to how you completed this, then i will be eternally grateful and particularly if my outputs ever come to anything thing.

Chris

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My youtube videos are certainly not cinematic masterpieces by any means.

All that I do to record them is use a psychedelic lightshow program called ProjectM on Linux or Milkdrop on Windows, run it while playing back my MP3 on a winamp type program, and finally use a video screen capture program to capture the performance and encode it for upload to youitube.

That's really all I need to do to put my songs on Youtube. :)

No fancy edits, credits or titles. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, will look into it. :) Spent a while looking at portastudios but not quite sure what i'm buying or whether it would necessarily help.

Ask a Question