EMU Classic keys

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post, sorry it has to be a problem/question....

I just purchased a used emu classic keys from a guy I trust, but who has not used it in about a year :) However when I took it home, I got no sound from the outs or the headphones. Using my midi connection from my Roland FP3 has does nothing. The guy feels terrible and he'll take it back, but I am sure this can be solved.

I re-inited the EMU as well as a diagnostic. It did say there was a midi fail in the diagnostics, but surely I should hear the demo tracks without MIDI. What's up?

Any emu help is appreciated

Reaction score
Sounds like you powered up the unit while holding down both cursor buttons, then scrolled down to "Initialize" with no luck. Bummer.

And no demo tracks either. Not good.

E-mu no longer supports repair of that unit. This guy might be able to repair the unit -
http://www.eprelectronics.com - I know he sells parts and repairs the VK's, not sure about the CK's though.

They are normally very reliable. I've bought more than one that was "dead", and have been able to get them going without parts every time. I would take it apart, remove the battery and let it sit for about 20 minutes so the capacitors have for sure bleed off. Pop the battery back in and see if it works.

If nothing else I'll buy the dead unit off you for a fair price - I think I paid $35 + shipping for the last dead one I bought, which was about a year ago last July.

Good luck - hopefully the battery removal will get it going again.
- Jim

Reaction score
I bought 160 dollars of mine and the sound was very excited. I used to have a Mellotron, B3, and many other synths, the module has a sample, the price is no legal binding on a better life. VST I like the hardware, and live performances.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I did put in a new battery, reinitialized etc
Still no sound from outs or phones

I will give it back to the guy, too bad though, seemed good for 200.

May end up grabbing a Roland jv 1080 for same price

I just want some good organs and clavi for my band!

Ask a Question