Enable to get the Guitar chords through Piano [Chordify.net]

Reaction score
Hello to everyone n hope everyone here is doing great. I wanted to produce the guitar chords played in my favorite song for my vocal over-dub. I used Chordify.net website for the first time to get the chords but when I play the chords as shown in website on my piano. Its sound is very different than of the song. What am I doing wrong?? or the chords incorrect or there is a different pattern for playing guitar chords on piano???

My level: I am below intermediate level but know the basics n music theory n DAW software little bit. Detail response will be really helpful friends.

please play the first 30 second intro of this song by setting it to piano chords. You will surely get the idea of what I am trying to say.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A chord might play differently on a guitar than on a keyboard as far as the specific notes used, due to the way the strings are arranged and depending on which strings and frets are used. Just as on a keyboard, a specific chord has several ways it can be played. Some songbooks show an actual picture of the strings and frets to be used to play each chord.

However, sometimes the sheet music for a song will be transposed to make it easier to play, or the chords will be simplified, and so on. And some sites which give the chords for popular songs may rely on submissions from their members, and people may submit a song the way they've learned it, which might not be in the same key or use the same types of chords as you're used to hearing.

Reaction score
A guitar is tuned in fourths with standard EBGDAE tuning (strings bottom to top on the neck of the guitar) with string 1 the thinest and string 6 the thickest

On a guitar when a Barre chord or a power chord is not played the standard fingering gives:-

C is E C G E C E but the string 6 E should not actually be played, strings 1 to 5 is a standard C, but often all strings are played.

F is F A C F (strings 1 to 4 played)

G is G B G D B G

Am is E C A E A

You should see that some of the same notes played are an octave apart

This one reason why guitar patches should different on a keyboard specifically where a chord is played, throw in the effects of guitar pedals and Amp tones and the difference is even more pronounced.

You can also throw in that in fast transitions from one chord to another all open strings can be played as a passing chord to ease the transition.

BTW
Power chords typically are simple two notes often with a lot of effects added.

Barre chords are finger shapes where the index finger bears down or barres the whole of the 6 strings with other fingers on specific frets to essentially give a shape, now this shape can be moved up and down the fretboard to give say a Major chord, a different shape gives a minor, a single barre gives a minor7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A guitar is tuned in fourths with standard EBGDAE tuning (strings bottom to top on the neck of the guitar) with string 1 the thinest and string 6 the thickest

On a guitar when a Barre chord or a power chord is not played the standard fingering gives:-

C is E C G E C E but the string 6 E should not actually be played, strings 1 to 5 is a standard C, but often all strings are played.

F is F A C F (strings 1 to 4 played)

G is G B G D B G

Am is E C A E A

You should see that some of the same notes played are an octave apart

This one reason why guitar patches should different on a keyboard specifically where a chord is played, throw in the effects of guitar pedals and Amp tones and the difference is even more pronounced.

You can also throw in that in fast transitions from one chord to another all open strings can be played as a passing chord to ease the transition.

BTW
Power chords typically are simple two notes often with a lot of effects added.

Barre chords are finger shapes where the index finger bears down or barres the whole of the 6 strings with other fingers on specific frets to essentially give a shape, now this shape can be moved up and down the fretboard to give say a Major chord, a different shape gives a minor, a single barre gives a minor7.

So u mean to say instead of playing C major ( C E G), I may play C (E C G E C E) like this as you suggest?

Reaction score
A chord might play differently on a guitar than on a keyboard as far as the specific notes used, due to the way the strings are arranged and depending on which strings and frets are used. Just as on a keyboard, a specific chord has several ways it can be played. Some songbooks show an actual picture of the strings and frets to be used to play each chord.

However, sometimes the sheet music for a song will be transposed to make it easier to play, or the chords will be simplified, and so on. And some sites which give the chords for popular songs may rely on submissions from their members, and people may submit a song the way they've learned it, which might not be in the same key or use the same types of chords as you're used to hearing.
Is there any video tutorial or link where it may explain how to play guitar chords on piano or can u please explain more detailly, so I may be able to play the chords of my favorite song. just a request :)

Reaction score
So u mean to say instead of playing C major ( C E G), I may play C (E C G E C E) like this as you suggest?

Not suggesting that at all.

Just pointing out that a Chord played on a guitar is not the same as the same chord played on a Keyboard.

And it is this and other factors that can account for the tonal differences.

On a guitar any open strings played in a chord will also remain ringing until the next different chord is played adding further tonal variation.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you play a chord on a keyboard using a guitar voice and want to make it sound more guitar-like, another thing that can help is to roll the chord, that is, don't strike all of the keys at the same time, but instead play the leftmost note first, quickly followed by the next note up, then the next note, etc. This isn't that difficult to do, especially if you can play all of the notes with one hand, because you can basically just rock your hand from left to right to make it sound like the notes are being strummed.

Ask a Question