Evolution of the portasound . .

Reaction score
6m 50s of pure cringing.

OMG did anyone every buy any of these?

Certainly the Casio that my Wife bought in the 80’s had similar quality or rather that should be “lack of” sounds but she enjoyed if for a while.

You do have to hand it to Yamaha with how for the last 30 years they have flooded the low end of the market with a plethora of keyboards, hook the punter into the brand and keep reeling them in with upgrades.

Reaction score
My parents bought my brother and I each a Yamaha PSS 270 one Christmas.

They worked hard but never had a lot of money. We were both piano students and they wanted us to have a fun keyboard we could make additional sounds with.

We loved them and played with them for hours. I think my brother still has his.

Just seeing “Yamaha PSS” brings back happy memories for me.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Santa bought our son a PSR2 back in the eighties. Our son showed an interest in music then an learnt to play as an infant.
He later scrapped the keyboard and bought himself a guitar and formed a band. He then went on to join the military. When he moved out of home he left behind the PSR2. I learnt to play on that! I actually learnt music in general from scratch using that keyboard. It is still here under the spare room bed gathering dust.
For Sale . .. one PSR2 keyboard. Any offers?:D
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Portasounds were crazy expensive in the 80's.

My first keyboard was a Casiotone MT-70 I paid $350 for in used condition back when that was real money.

It was a great little keyboard but it only lasted a couple of years until one day the power supply blew out the electronics. I really miss it. :(

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The Casiotone MT-70 seems to be a classy model. At $350 in the eighties would be equiv. to a couple of grand these days I would think.
Not a bad sound, (as from what I hear in those vids) very advanced for its time.
Now the PSR2 we bought (I think late 80's) cost us $30 or $40 thereabouts.
It is still in it's original box. lol.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I bought mine when I still had my Commodore 64 so it was around 83 or 84.

By 89 I'd managed to pick up a Yamaha DX27S for about $700 used and hooked it up to my Atari 1040 ST to play MIDI files.

I kept it for about a half a decade but didn't really learn to play much until the mid 90's.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question