Extract Sounds from Juno G?

Reaction score
Is there anyway to get some of the sounds on the Juno G Keyboard as an audio file to work with in Logic or Reason? I'm new to all this and really like some of the stuff on my keyboard and would like to play with those sounds in one of my midi programs.

Reaction score
As far as I know, sounds on all keyboards are in a sort of midi-format. You have to find a way to extract the voices you want to work with as (mini) midi's. I am not familiar with your keyboard so I don't know the procedure.

DickR

Reaction score
Actually, sounds and midi are two very different things. MIDI stand for "musical instrument digital interface" and is simply a standard adopted by the music industry that allows digital based musical devices to communicate with each other. So, audio (sounds) is not directly a part of the MIDI communication protocol.
The sounds within the majority of today's keyboards are (generally) not intended to be transferable for use in the fashion you describe. (There are some specific exceptions, but for brevity I am not addressing those.) Internal sounds stored in ROM ("read only memory") are typically in a specific manufacturer format that is only read by the keyboard. Those sample formats do not usually export in the fashion you describe.
There is a work around, however it requires specialized software and somewhat advanced knowledge (and skills). You would need to "digitally sample" each sound and create samples in an appropriate format for use in other software based programs. Once the samples are created, then you have edit and map them (assign to notes) so you can play them.
This topic is much more complex than I can address here, but I hope this short input answers the question. It can be done, but it requires some fairly advanced understanding to do it. Don

Reaction score
Part 2
Generally:
You can trigger the sounds in your Roland by connecting the "midi out" from your computer into the "midi in" on the Roland. Note that this requires you to have a MIDI interface for you computer. Read your Roland book and find out how to set-up the keyboard local control "on-off" to trigger it from your computer. Connect the audio out from the Roland to your computer.
Open Logic and load the midi file. Set your midi-output in Logic to use the external device (Roland). Be sure the same midi channels shown in Logic are enabled in the Roland.
Read the help info in Logic on this topic, and also read the Roland book on how to set up the Roland for multi-timbral midi operation. You may have a "general midi" bank in the Roland....if so you the general midi bank as your sound source.

This requires that you do some reading and study, and it may take a number of adjustments until you get the hang of it. Generally, those of us on the forum can't offer you more than this type general guidance but be patient and keep trying. That how we all got started. Don

Ask a Question