first midi keyboard advice

Reaction score
hi, ive been thinking of getting a midi keyboard for a few months now. i dont need anything fancy as im only doing it for fun basically and to learn a new instrument (play bass in a few bands and a bit of geetar/drums) so im not looking to spend alot. if i get anyway decent at it ill buy a proper one in the future anyway.

just wondering what i need to get up and running. i will most likely only be playing in my house so it doesnt need to be mobile.
anything i should look out for in buying one? here are two possible cheap ones im looking at but any suggestions are welcome.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/m-audio_keystation_61es.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_oxygen_61_3rd_gen.htm

i take it with midi its the software that matters soundwise and the keyboard is for comfort/playability?
i have ableton live but can get other software if needed, will i need anything else to be able to sit down at my pc and make some noise?

cheers in advance

Reaction score
anyone? thought this would be a simple enough answer.

id be happy just to know if buying a midi keyboard and plugging in usb to pc with the software mentioned would get me up and running

Reaction score
As long as your mentioned software has softsynths (VST Instruments), that will probably be enough to be able to make some noise with it, yes. As long as you have the cables to connect the keyboard to your PC :)

I've never used Ableton Live, so I don't know what it's capable of, but it would surprise me if it couldn't do the job.
What you could do to test it is to create a midi track in your program, and just put some notes in there, all done with the computer, no keyboard involved. Then you can see if you can find some softsynths to create the sound and play the notes.

Reaction score
cool, thanks. yeh i have a few programs with vst instruments anyway just remember seeing that. just every article i find on this is overcomplicated for my basic needs.

ill probably buy one oif those so and figure out anything else once i have em up and running

anyone think either of those has an advantage over the other? or any reccomendations for a similar one in that price range

Reaction score
Well, I'm not very experienced myself with MIDI keyboards, but I guess the primary things you should be looking into is how the keys feel, if they're comfortable to play on, or if they drives you nuts. Unfortunately this can only be tested by finding the keyboard in a store, and try it out.
And also how many assignable knobs and switches and sliders and stuff that are available.

That's pretty much the only thing I know about MIDI keyboards that actually differs from keyboard to keyboard (apart from the number of keys, ofc).

Reaction score
I've owned many midi keyboard controllers. Here's 2 of my favorites that I use everyday. But those are no longer available.

I bought a Keystation 61 about a year ago. The action is really poor, but it plugs in via USB. If you're serious about playing keyboards this one doesn't fit the bill.

I also have an E-Mu Xboard 61 that I bought a few months back. That is a much better keyboard all the way around, and you still get USB connectivity.

Ask a Question