Frustrated, Elated and Unsure!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Where do I start?

1. A little frustrated.
2. A little elated.
3. A little unsure of where am I going with my keyboarding?

1. Frustrated because I always freeze when I play to anyone. Even playing one or two tunes to my wife I always stuff up. I can never finish a tune without making wrong moves . I usually play a wrong chord or forget what key I am in and play a Bb for example where it should be B.
But whenever I play solo I get it perfect almost 100% of the time. I am more relaxed when no one is listening.
I have never played to anyone outside my home. I really want to play my tunes to an audience (small audience like friends, family and the like). Eventually, maybe a larger audience like nursing home or retirement village.
I think I have a comprehensive repertoire which really sounds great. My wife says she loves my music and wants me to play publicly. She listens to me playing from another room when I do no know she is listening and I always get it perfect. Whenever she asks me to play a tune I always freeze and stuff it up.
I guess I suffer from "stage fright"
How can I overcome this?

2. A little elated because I just discovered this week that our local U3A have a keyboard course. This is new and I have signed up for 2020. Col of @Biggles fame will endorse this program I am sure. I will no doubt listen to any suggestions or comments he (or others) make. I have one reservation that it could be a course for absolute raw beginners. Oh well, we will see where it leads and hopefully it might develop to advanced stages. I am also hoping it will be a remedy for my stage fright . . Jamming perhaps?

3. I just keep pluggin' away and enjoy myself playing. Unsure of my future with it, but any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I have been playing now for 12 years (self taught from scratch). It is time to change direction and expose myself. LOL!

Cheers
Ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I can certainly identify with your feelings of stage fright.

One of my friends has been trying to get me to join Toastmasters. Some people say that Toastmasters helped them overcome their stage fright.

Perhaps a type of meditation would help-- close your eyes when you sit down to play for others, breathe slowly and deeply a few times to help center yourself, clear away all thoughts of being with others, and play as though you are all alone and playing for yourself.

Reaction score
I taught people to ski for 17 years, I have been presenting in front of groups for 25 years, yet the thought of playing to a audience terrifies me so I share your pain.

Pleased that you have wisely signed up for a U3A keyboard group can I endorse that action, ours has players of mixed ability so the choice is from a Repertoire that has been decided by the Group and you play Arranger style but the right hand melody can be simple or as complex and embellished as the player decides. We have a session where individual play either a full song or a page or two as they feel that they can manage. Nothing but positive support.

If you have not done so can I suggest you contact the Group Leader and find out the Books they use and the Rep so you can get in some practice. Our two hour sessions are broken down into 10 min setup, 20 min self play, jam, improv etc with headphones, 30 min Group play, 20 min brew and natter, 15 min tech talk and discussion on any music related matter, 20 min Group play/Individual performance (group play at present will be Christmas songs), the remainder is take down.

Beginners, our Group at present is not taking any, and when we open up again we do have keyboards and a separate room available for the beginners to use and one of us usually helps them out and gets them going, after the brew they stay for the tech discussion then are on their own for the final session. The Group obtained funding and bought three Yamaha E series keyboards for use by Beginners and members who have difficulty carrying their own plus we have three more old donated keyboards.

At home I presume that you play mostly with headphones, so maybe a way to help is to Record your playing, and listen to the playback. You can even set up your camera to record video of you.

This is what I do when practicing the Uke I use my Looper to record and playback the strum pattern, add in a sort of bass line then play melody, or simply just record a complex strum pattern, Bb is a pig.

Another option to get over performance anxiety is quite radical, buy a Uke, join a group, the strums are straight forward and you sing along and do note I cannot sing. Now as it is the fourth Wednesday in the month I have to sign off and go practice for this afternoon its U3A Uke Group and I have six Christmas Songs to practice.

Finally here is the Les Dawson method of piano playing.

Reaction score
Wow, it never occurred to me that any of you regular posters might have reservations about playing in front of other people. I'm attaching a picture of the audience from a recent gig and the event planner told me there were around 3800 people there. When we play at Darlington Raceway there are thousands of people. Mentally, playing in front of people is what I do and whether it is one person or thousands of people it's all the same. You can do the same thing if you can learn relax, focus on what you playing, and move smoothly on when you make a mistake. Don't focus on a mistake, don't go back, ...move ahead. Friends and loved ones are your easiest audience. You don't have to apologize to anyone of you make a slip.....that's part of the experience. Creating the music and sharing that gift with others is a reward for your hard efforts. Practice, play, and enjoy your music...........that is what it's all about. I've been there, my journey has just been longer than yours. I was shy.......LOL - Don

Attachments

• 67783828_2318781048159079_7201620884975517696_n.jpg
    67783828_2318781048159079_7201620884975517696_n.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 153

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ray >>> I think the best place to get started playing in front of others is to start with finding other musicians to play along with. Either a full on combo band or even the odd guitar player or bass player.

Myself I've been looking on and off for the past few years for others to practice with and have found that I'm not the only one who's shy about playing for an audience.

Eventually I'll find some kindred spirits and who knows where it will go from there?

And don't worry about making mistakes. Like Don said, you just keep on going and try not to interrupt the flow of the music.

In the meantime I surround myself with bass playing sequencers and drummers in a box until I find myself a group to hook up with.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
You guys are so inspiring. Such a rare group of friends much appreciated. Many thanks indeed.

I am seriously digesting each and every suggestion and endeavour to conquer my fear.

The U3A challenge will at least be a good start. My keyboard will actually be on the move off it's stand. Never happened before. Looks like I will need to buy a carry case.

Mixing with fellow musos at U3A could be the nerve breaker I am looking for. It should be fun nevertheless. Thanks for your support Col.

Nothing less, thanks heaps Gary, Michael, Paul, B3 (Brian?)
So responsive and sincere are you lot. Cheers all.
Ray

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Bb is a pig.

Many tunes I play are in key of F maj. or Bb maj. I mostly play Blues, Jazz , Swing type. Then occassionally a tune will be in the Key of C maj. and my fingers haven't adjusted and work quicker than my brain hitting the Bb key instead of B. Doh! It is one of my many mistakes.
Ray

Last edited:

Ask a Question