Geezer Question???

Reaction score
After reading some of you guys post I guess I am doing pretty good. I am 76 and the only thing I am concerned about is my memory slipping, but I guess that is par for the course, as is nodding off after supper only to miss half the how I was watching. George

Reaction score
Do you have a pedalboard for sale? ;)

Seriously though, old man time catches up with us in a hundred different ways as we approach Logan's Run's Carousel. :p

The younger we are the more that we ignore the approaching shroud of old age.

Karma settles all scores.

Chinese Proverb: May the pleasures of your youth be the chains of your old age.

My brother's mother in law suffered from gout. Strict vegetarian diet her entire life. But hers was compounded by osteoporosis and multiple hip and knee replacements. She passed away a decade ago.

Avoid excessive protein intake, including vegetables like chickpeas, legumes in general, nuts, etc. And learn to enjoy your oncoming opioid addiction :(

I'm seeing a zillion pharmaceutical options for everything from IBS to itchy hair syndrome but there's not a lot they seem able to do for gout these days. :(

Keep smiling :)

Funny enough, it seems to be sugar that can cause an attack and that can be a hard thing to moderate although I've been learning to do that. In my youth, I was a fanatical footballer which is probably catching up with me also as far as my feet are concerned. I don't drink (much) or have ever smoked so hopefully have a few years in the tank.
Saying all that, on Tuesday, a friend of mine contacted me to say that an old work colleague we both worked with for many years was killed earlier that day in a hit and run road accident, he was cycling to work and a reckless driver killed him and he died in hospital later that day of his injuries, he was 45 with a young family. So, it can happen at any time, anywhere to anyone so you just have to get on with it and deal with the hand you're given.

Reaction score
Hey! I have at least another 30 years to go before I play no more,,,, HAHAHA!

I'm 79 and the forces that be have tried to kill me at least 3 times already Twice with heart attack and triple bypass surgery, and once with Pneumonia. But HA! I beat em all.

Now, a recent issue with B-12 absorption has causes a balance issue, which is taken care of with B12 shots.
I have arthritis in my left elbow, and both hands and have difficulty lifting a pot of coffee.
But my manual dexterity (as far as playing keyboards) has not yet been affected.
Another affliction I've been saddled with, is Chronic Lymphedma. Now, in my lower legs, which I monitor closely, or else I won't be able to wear long pants and shoes! (another tasteless joke) .
I've been to a Therapy program and it really helped.
Now I wear compression devices, or wrap the legs with layers of special compressive bandage and layers of 1/4" foam padding over a cotton sleeve, with a heavily creamed medication applied first. and then sit for an hour or two, with my legs elevated while wearing an intermittent pressure
device, which compresses pneumatically in 8 stages from my toes to my hips, releases after 30 seconds, and repeats,

But Hey I'm not complaining... I am still breathing, and considering the alternative that's a big PLUS!
Also I am still in full control of all my faculties.

Unlike some who rule...(badly)! As he says...NO Joke!

So, live life, as if it were your last days alive! Because for some of us.......

It is!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
At least I can still dance in front of the keyboard when I play :p

If you outlive me, do you want a job as a pall bearer? :D :D :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
We're kind of drifting off topic here gentlemen.

This thread was set as a sticky for a purpose.

It was meant to be repository of therapeutic tips and tricks for people who are of declining years and losing the ability to play any longer.

It was NOT meant to be bragging rights for a bunch of geezers who complain their lumbago hurts when it's just about to rain.

A little less chit chat and a little more constructive advice please.

Talk to the administrators if you want to create a sticky called "Geezer Chat" in the Misc. Forum

We thank you for your attention.

Our aim is to keep this bathroom clean.

Your aim will help. :D :D :D

Reaction score
For several years running, I had awful pains in the hands and wrists if I worked them hard over the weekend, and it would take days for the pains to subside. I used to wear wrist braces on each hand at night to keep the wrists in neutral positions and not further aggravate them or the hands any more.

Then a Hindu friend of mine suggested that I take 2 Tumeric Curcmin (the yellow Indian spice) daily. I get it from Amazon -- Nature's Nutrition brand, as it has Bioperine (a form of pepper) in it which helps with the absorption. Taken with food, I have no upset from it -- but it has worked wonders in REDUCING and preventing inflammation, and not only in my hands & wrists, but elsewhere too.

It's an all-natural spice that's been used for centuries to treat inflammation, and it's worked great for me! No more wrist guards or days of aches and pains, and if I do turn-a-wrench really hard on one day, any soreness is gone very quickly. It's really helped my keyboard playing these last few years, as I just turned 63 and my chops are now better than they were when I was 33.

Old No7
I have been taking a spoonful of Powdered Tumeric in my Drip coffee maker for over a year now, I don't know if it is doing any good or not but I know it is supposed to ... I still use wrist braces but find them horrid in the 100+ degree Texas heat. So I only use then in conditioned air.

Reaction score
Back on topic.

More applicable to those in a very cold climate and especially if you suffer from arthritis …… a pair of heated gloves.

As an ex Motorcyclist they were a boom for me and coupled with the heated handgrips I did not suffer from painful hands by the time I got to my destination.

Rechargeable battery powered gloved are readily available from £10 to £30

When I bought my last car I specified a heated steering wheel, the best option ever.
So no more stiff and painful cold fingers whilst driving.

Reaction score
When I bought my last car I specified a heated steering wheel, the best option ever.

Now if they only put the steering wheel on the "right" (meaning "left") side of the car...

Good tip on those gloves, I too find that heat helps in the cold (am using 1-time-use handwarmers for now).

Cheers mate!

Old No7

Ask a Question