Gigging Keyboard Stand?

Reaction score
I haven't gigged with keyboards in a long while (guitar has been taking up my time) and haven't had a keyboard for most of that time. I was recently asked to get back to it, and merrily went out looking for keyboards. I found a very nice Korg Kronos 73-key, used (warn me now, it's getting paid for on Thursday or Friday), with a case.

I think I've got the gigging amplification setup worked out; I'll just use my fEARful F115s with the Carvin HD1500 1500W power amp. These are ostensibly bass cabs (those bits plus a couple of different preamps make up my bass rig), but they're full range, wide dispersion and very capable. From there, running into the FOH system is the most likely scheme. I'm not sure what kind of speakers I'll use at home, however -- I was looking at a pair of Rokit 8's (powered nearfield monitors) for that. Again, warn me now, but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I pick those up.

I'm undecided on the keyboard stand. There *will* be a second keyboard at some point and there will be a need for a mike boom at some point, so I was looking at the AX-48 from Ultimate Support Stands. Mostly, I liked the look of it. I understand there was, a few years ago, an AX-90 version that seems to have had a larger price tag, a larger center column, more weight and a quad-legged bass rather than three. But it seems to have disappeared, and I'd love to know why (too expensive? Unstable?). There are, of course, all the various "X" style stands from dirt cheap to slightly pricey.

I'll be paying standing at most gigs, but seated at home/studio/practice, so it needs to be seriously adjustable, and I definitely want to be able to set the height of the second keyboard (angle isn't so important; I doubt I'll tilt it). I'm not going to be banging on it, so I don't need B3 solidarity, but I also don't want it flipping over because an idiot guitarist found the one loose board in the stage at the local legion hall...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
At home I use an Onstage 2 tier Z stand. I could use it to do an oil change on my Honda in a pinch it's so solid, but I wouldn't recommend it for gigging. Very futzy with lots of screw knobs to loosen and tighten and the top tier has to come off completely to fold it up for transport.

I think if I were you I'd go with a double X type two tier stand for easy transport while still being solid enough to support your gear securely.

I'd also suggest spending the money and buying a good one cause a cheap one will end up costing you more than you save when it comes crashing to the floor. :p I'd suggest sticking with name brands like QuickLok or Onstage.

As for those Ultimate stands, I've heard if you're sloppy setting them up the tiers can unlock and send your gear crashing to the floor.

Gary

Reaction score
I'm gonna chime in here. I have an old Ultimate DeltX, which is very similar in design to the new ones like the AX48. It is solid as a rock and easy to move around and setup. Yes, if you're sloppy there could be issues; but that's true with pretty much any stand. I've used mine for my Korg SP250 (88-key digital stage piano) on the bottom and my Korg M1 up top. No issues. I also have an 'X' stand which currently has the M1 on it, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to put anything bigger/heavier on it, let alone a second tier.

My $.02. ;)

:cool:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think Amazon gets the 395 lb number from adding the second tier's 75 lbs to the X stand's 320 lbs.

In reality I think you're limited to 320 lbs total weight with up to 75 lbs of that being on the second tier.

Reaction score
Thanks -- y'all are the best. I think I've solved half my problem; I've found a used AX-90 that will work a treat for home use. It's probably too heavy for gigging, so I'm going to take the list of stands from this thread with me to the local stores and check them out.

Reaction score
Okay, next question -- are most of you playing standing or sitting? And if sitting, what are you using for a stool? I've got a good adjustable one, but it's not particularly compact (it's a non-folder).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I tend to play standing. I sometimes use a cheap Walmart bar stool that I picked up for $15 but it's not exactly what I'd call a treat for my hindquarters.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beech-Wood-Counter-Stools-24-Set-of-2-Natural/13917729

One of these days I might blow $100 and buy a padded office drafting stool to use.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Armless-Drafting-Stool-Black/product_886017

http://www.staples.com/Boss-Caressoft-Faux-Leather-Doctors-Stool-with-Back-Black/product_730299

For now though, I usually prefer to stand.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, the AX-90 arrived Friday and I finally pulled it out of the box...
The gig bag was pretty ratty (and completely worn through in a couple of spots) and there were a couple of 1/2" dings in the main column and there was one broken-off plastic knob (for tier height adjustment).

But the stand itself is solid, very adjustable and a very clean design. Seriously larger than the AX-48, of course. And it looks like something that fell off a 50's movie robot, in a good way.

Would someone that has one tell me how you get the ends of the arms to flip up like this?

Ultimate-AX90-APEX-Column-Keyboard-Stand-Black.jpg

Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to add the mic boom adapter actually was released although they seem to be significantly more rare than the AX-90 stand. I'm looking for a mic boom adapter for one of my stands so, if anyone happens to come across one for sale, please let me know.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't even find one listed on ebay.

Have you considered approaching a machinist and having one custom made?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! There hasn't been one listed on ebay for at least a year (I've been watching). The last one available anywhere to my knowledge was in Germany, more than a year ago. I missed out on that one so, I resorted to biding my time on ebay ever since. I tried to get specs from Ultimate to see if I could have one made but, they either couldn't or wouldn't give out any info. It's a lot more complex mechanism than the one for the AX48 so it may be difficult to reproduce without measurements of some kind. I've given a lot of thought to just getting the adapter for the AX48 (which Ultimate says definately will not work) and having something made that will allow that one to be mounted somehow.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My design philosophy is KISS (Keep it simple stupid) :)

What I'd suggest is simply having some sort of mounting adapter built for a standard mic boom. I'm not saying it has to be a work of mechanical art and engineering but it really shouldn't be much more involved than checking a machine thread with a thread guage and designing it with a thumbscrew or two for easy adjustment and mounting.

Start with something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-MSA7040TB-Mount-Telescoping-Black/dp/B0002T67K6

And then have a machine shop design and build a mounting adapter for it that fits both the boom's screw on base as well as the AX-90's top mounting plate.

Any working machinist should be able to design and knock one off for you in under an hour and it shouldn't cost more than one or two hundred dollars tops. Since you have two stands you could get a second one made right away and get a twofer price discount.

Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! There hasn't been one listed on ebay for at least a year (I've been watching). The last one available anywhere to my knowledge was in Germany, more than a year ago. I missed out on that one so, I resorted to biding my time on ebay ever since. I tried to get specs from Ultimate to see if I could have one made but, they either couldn't or wouldn't give out any info. It's a lot more complex mechanism than the one for the AX48 so it may be difficult to reproduce without measurements of some kind. I've given a lot of thought to just getting the adapter for the AX48 (which Ultimate says definately will not work) and having something made that will allow that one to be mounted somehow.

If I snag one at some point, I'll share it (and probably have a spare constructed as well). Obviously, the boom itself isn't the issue. The vertical piece for the interior (which is supposed to be adjustable for height) is.

I seem to recall that the vertical piece offered in Germany (Thomann?) wasn't an original Ultimate Support product, but was produced as a single run of several pieces when someone cobbled up a design. That could be really wrong, but I seem to recall that being the case.

I know the thread is old, but I thought I'd check in nonetheless. Ultimate found me a NOS gig bag for it and the stand itself is doing very well. I'd like to find a replacement knob for the pull-out gizmos that allow you to raise and lower the arms (they're basic plastic and one is broken); Ultimate can't help there, either. .

Reaction score
Dspell you are correct about Thomann but, it was a factory (Ultimate) adapter. They actually got their hands on two of the originals and both sold within a few hours of them listing them (both went to Europe). Ultimate has offered ZERO assistance with these stands since the day they announced the immerdiate cesation of production. They have never given any explanation (that I've been able to find) for discontinuing what was probably their best designed stand. Maybe there was a hidden design flaw or (more likely) a lack of interest in the pricetag (over $800 originally) or possibly the sheer weight of the design (it's HEAVY!). I have several of their other designs, including x stands, multi tier stands, Apex and Deltex and none of them are in the same league as the AX-90. The mic boom adapter came out just at the end of the run so, apparently not many were made. As far as having one made, the height adjustment mechanism, a hinged bar that slips into and locks into grooves milled in a solid steel bar, is the biggest deterrent. The adapter top plate for the AX48 has a very similar shape as the AX-90 but, it's a fixed mount and doesn't have the internal adjustment mechanism. I'm still debating the idea of buying the AX48 adapter just to see if it really would be possible to modify it to fit. It would give up the height adjustment but, I think we could get by without that feature. I would still prefer to find an original adapter but, that may just be wishful thinking at this point in time. I'll post updates as the search continues. Thanks for the helpful comments!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I would say that your search is akin to finding an original Picasso on Ebay but Picasso produced literally thousands of pieces during his lifetime.

This is a needle in a haystack.

If I were you I'd forget about trying to find an original and go directly to contracting a machinist to build you a custom adapter.

Continuing to search for one of these sounds like a cross between futile and hopeless.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question