Growing Keyboard Rig. Three-Tier Stand.

Reaction score
Some more K&M setups...

Here's 3 boards on a silver 18880 on bottom, a black 18882 holding the middle tier close to the first, and a black tilted 18881 holding the top keyboard further up. The entire rig is at or near its tallest position, but for sitting, you could lower the 18880 quite a bit (and everything attached to it lowers the same amount). View attachment 2906

Here's a 4-keyboard setup, using two of the 18880-with-18881 combos, one behind the other. Of course, without the top board, it's also showing another way of arranging three boards.

View attachment 2907
In your first picture of the 18881 holding the top third keyboard, can that be lowered?

Reaction score
In your first picture of the 18881 holding the top third keyboard, can that be lowered?
Yes, IIRC that's at the highest of 5 possible positions. Since the stands are aluminum (an easy material to cut), it's also not too difficult to make modifications, which I did (shortening arm lengths, or drilling more holes for more possible positions).

Getting back to something I said earlier, though, I think one of the biggest issues you'll face is that you're talking about three boards that are all quite deep, and which require you to have visual and tactile access quite far back (for the touchscreens). That will limit how much you can allow a board to cover the rear section of the board directly below, which is likely to prevent you from placing a board as close to you as you might like (whether in height or in depth).

Reaction score
Yes, IIRC that's at the highest of 5 possible positions. Since the stands are aluminum (an easy material to cut), it's also not too difficult to make modifications, which I did (shortening arm lengths, or drilling more holes for more possible positions).

Getting back to something I said earlier, though, I think one of the biggest issues you'll face is that you're talking about three boards that are all quite deep, and which require you to have visual and tactile access quite far back (for the touchscreens). That will limit how much you can allow a board to cover the rear section of the board directly below, which is likely to prevent you from placing a board as close to you as you might like (whether in height or in depth).
Yes, that makes sense, the Nautilus 88 is not that deep, in one of your photos it looks like you have a Genos? I would have that as my second board and later the Korg Pa5x with a tiltable screen as my third. It's a very 1st-world problem lol, never-the-less, something that needs to be thought about! thank you AS!

Reaction score
Yup, those G$I$B$R$A$L$T$A$R S$T$A$N$D$S are really nice!

But cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Old No7

Reaction score
in one of your photos it looks like you have a Genos?
Yes, that's a Genos I picked up recently, but I've hardly used it and doubt I'll keep it. Short version: My potential use for it was unusual, in that I wouldn't actually be using the arranger aspects of it (except sometimes the drums). My thought was to use it in place of one of my other boards for my 2-board gigs. But it turns out that while, as expected, some of its sounds are better than what I have in the other boards, other sounds were not as good; and similarly, while it provides some improved functionalities I like, again it falls behind in other ways. So on balance, it would be closer to an even swap for my usage rather than a clear and obvious total improvement, which makes it hard to justify dealing with the additional size, weight, and dollars compared to what it would replace.

Reaction score
Yes, that's a Genos I picked up recently, but I've hardly used it and doubt I'll keep it. Short version: My potential use for it was unusual, in that I wouldn't actually be using the arranger aspects of it (except sometimes the drums). My thought was to use it in place of one of my other boards for my 2-board gigs. But it turns out that while, as expected, some of its sounds are better than what I have in the other boards, other sounds were not as good; and similarly, while it provides some improved functionalities I like, again it falls behind in other ways. So on balance, it would be closer to an even swap for my usage rather than a clear and obvious total improvement, which makes it hard to justify dealing with the additional size, weight, and dollars compared to what it would replace.
A few years ago I had a Genos and although that the sounds were incredible. At the time I don't think I really appreciated what I had and I was so busy with work that I really didn't get the time to use it so I sold it. I am in a different situation now and although I intended to buy a Korg pa5x which isn't even available in the US yet I have been told and found out for myself that the pa5x OS still needs some work so I don't think I will bother until next year. I have decided on getting another Genos... it's a powerful arranger even though many youtube clips would show otherwise. A lot of the time arrangers are not used to their full potential and are just used as a one-man band for let's say what I will call middle-of-the-road songs... kind of cheesy and niche which I want to stay away from... but it has its place.

Reaction score
I am looking at the K&M too. Harder to get an idea of whether it would work as there are no diagrams of the 3 parts together.
K&M is what you need, solid as a rock, flexible adjustments to height and angle, plenty of room around the feet, inobtrusive and will handle with weight with no problems.

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a Genos and although that the sounds were incredible. At the time I don't think I really appreciated what I had and I was so busy with work that I really didn't get the time to use it so I sold it. I am in a different situation now and although I intended to buy a Korg pa5x which isn't even available in the US yet I have been told and found out for myself that the pa5x OS still needs some work so I don't think I will bother until next year. I have decided on getting another Genos... it's a powerful arranger even though many youtube clips would show otherwise. A lot of the time arrangers are not used to their full potential and are just used as a one-man band for let's say what I will call middle-of-the-road songs... kind of cheesy and niche which I want to stay away from... but it has its place.

a couple of points I would like to make, Chris, although, admittingly, I cannot help you with your original 3 tier question: The Main Music keyboard manufacturers have been trending towards making lighter versions of their main keyboards, hence, you have the Nautilus , the Fantom O series, and the MODX......I am surprised to hear that the 88 key Nautilus weighs that much....I have a 61 key version, and it is very very light, but then, it doesn't matter to me because I do not live gig, so, in my home studio, I only play ONE keyboard and that is my master keyboard. It doesn't matter to me if I can or cannot reach a second or third keyboard, since I am triggering everything with the main one, which at the time is the venerable Yamaha Motif, due to it's superior sequencer. I have 4 keyboards in the rig right now, and a host of modules, but again, I trigger everything from the MOTIF, so reaching things is not an issue right now.

Reaction score
In the near future, I might be expanding my rig. I know that it's easy-ish to get a keyboard stand for two keyboards but the options for three are very few!
Any ideas of a three-tier set-up comprising a 88 Key workstation and two 76 key synths? I have seen a few that would be ok from a standing position on stage but I would want one that would enable me to be seated and be able to angle the top two boards for ease of play.

There has to be something out there. My 88 key weighs about 60lbs and most triple tiers don't allow for that.

Very grateful for any suggestions!

Chris
Hi Chris,
First off, are you looking for this stand for at Home or to play out or both? Been there as well looking for another 3 Tier to use for Home & Gigs. The issue I ran into is that almost next to impossible to find one that's wide enough to fit the some 76's let alone the 88. Gibraltar's or any Custom stand can run up the price. If you find one please share. There may be one or 2 out there but they may be expensive as well, but you may not have a choice if you really need a 3 Tier.
Thx ElectricEddie

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for that AS, I changed my set-up a few times but I was thrown a curve ball when I got the chance to buy a Genos at a very good price so I have a Korg Nautilus 88 as my main, now a Genos as my second. I have the means to accommodate this set-up but sometime down the line, I might get myself a Korg Pa5x also.

I have to do a little bit of research but the Standtastic does appear to be a good choice...
How sturdy is the Standtastic 103KS? It just does not impress me strength wise. I see NO Horizontal support. Makes me wonder why he' offering to sell a used one???

Reaction score
I purchased an Ultimate Support Apex AX-48 Pro B (black) when I got 2 boards, and when I decided to add a 3rd board up top, I just bought another base and set of arms.

The AX-48 holds up to 125 pounds -- and there's about 90 on mine and it's very stable.

I do have some weights on the back leg and I use the little adjustable-foot at the lower front because mine is placed on carpet (it slides up/down to ensure the base is level with no rocking on various surfaces). I like it a lot -- it works great, packs up easily into itself -- and I even added the top which allows a mic boom to be attached (I use that with a quick-detach music stand when I'm learning new stuff).

Top-to-bottom 1st image:
Yamaha MODX6, Crumar Mojo 61 (but now there's a Hammond SK Pro 73 instead) and a Roland RD-88.

Good luck.

Old No7

ps: See 2nd image below. If those are "good enough" for Rick Wakeman (saw him on opening night of his U.S. tour last fall), that's a pretty darn good endorsement!

bLkZMp9.jpg

DRX2CEC.jpg

Reaction score
I purchased an Ultimate Support Apex AX-48 Pro B (black) when I got 2 boards, and when I decided to add a 3rd board up top, I just bought another base and set of arms.

The AX-48 holds up to 125 pounds -- and there's about 90 on mine and it's very stable.

I do have some weights on the back leg and I use the little adjustable-foot at the lower front because mine is placed on carpet (it slides up/down to ensure the base is level with no rocking on various surfaces). I like it a lot -- it works great, packs up easily into itself -- and I even added the top which allows a mic boom to be attached (I use that with a quick-detach music stand when I'm learning new stuff).

Top-to-bottom 1st image:
Yamaha MODX6, Crumar Mojo 61 (but now there's a Hammond SK Pro 73 instead) and a Roland RD-88.

Good luck.

Old No7

ps: See 2nd image below. If those are "good enough" for Rick Wakeman (saw him on opening night of his U.S. tour last fall), that's a pretty darn good endorsement!

bLkZMp9.jpg

DRX2CEC.jpg
Hey Old no.7, I love the Picture on the wall with what I think are the 4 Best Keyboardist in the world. Can you tell me where I could get one as well?
Thx
ElectricEddie

Reaction score
I also use the Ultimate Support Apex AX-48. It comes with 2 tiers -18" tri-bars. Just add a 3rd tier with a CMP-485 clamp and a pair of tribars, either 13" or 18" (I use 13" for the top tier). The stands channel system allows to easily adjust spacing for your keys.
The photo shows a tablet mounted to the optional boom mount fitted to the top of the stand. I'm currently using a 21" monitor which I've adapted to a custom mount inserted into the top portion of the stands channel.
Great stand and very portable.

20190913_192032.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
First off, are you looking for this stand for at Home or to play out or both? Been there as well looking for another 3 Tier to use for Home & Gigs. The issue I ran into is that almost next to impossible to find one that's wide enough to fit the some 76's let alone the 88. Gibraltar's or any Custom stand can run up the price. If you find one please share. There may be one or 2 out there but they may be expensive as well, but you may not have a choice if you really need a 3 Tier.
Thx ElectricEddie
Hi Eddie, the stand will be for home use only. It's crazy that there are no more solutions out there! All the best!

Reaction score
Hi Eddie, the stand will be for home use only. It's crazy that there are no more solutions out there! All the best!
I have some older stands which I am glad I never got rid of. I have the original 3 - Tier Ultimate Support Rack Stand with a 4th Tier and I have extra tiers. My issue is it's not wide enough for a 76 size board. I believe the inside measurement is 51" which you would need a crowbar to get any 76 keybed into it. I also have the Ultimate Support APEX with 2 Tiers. Adding a 3rd to the Apex I think it crams to much together. If you're just looking for a set up for at home you'll have an easier time then trying to find that perfect set-up for playing out on stage. I don't want to lay out thousands for a Gibraltar which would be a Bitch to load in & out considering the weight factor and not to mention assembly each time. At least once you find something you like no matter how long it takes to set up & get adjusted correctly to your liking, once it's done it's done.

Ask a Question