Growing Keyboard Rig. Three-Tier Stand.

Reaction score
How sturdy is the Standtastic 103KS? It just does not impress me strength wise. I see NO Horizontal support. Makes me wonder why he' offering to sell a used one???

Some people love the Standtastics. Not me, I prefer others, like the K&M I talked about and photographed. But both are among the few than could conceivably work for the task at hand. The Standtastic has occasionally come in handy for me, but I used it rarely, and never took it out of the house. Its main use ended up being to hold keyboards I didn't use as often.

Unlike the K&M, I think the Standtastic is awkward to transport (I gig a lot), and I think the K&M is generally better if you want to get the keys very close together (especially because the board on the top tier of the K&M can essentially be placed as far back as you want, and because, unlike on the K&M, how far back you can place a board on the Standtastic varies with how high you want that board to be). K&M also has a smaller front-to-back footprint at its base. OTOH, the Standtastic provides much finer control over the height of each tier. Also, changing the height of the bottom tier is much faster/easier on the Standtastic; though changing the heights of the upper tiers is faster/easier on the K&M (but you have a more limited range of heights to choose from). I understand why someone could prefer either, depending on their usage, and which boards they need to hold.

I'm not sure what you mean in terms of seeing no horizontal support. I think the stands with the least horizontal support are the spider-style where all the arms come out of a center column. But the Standtastic supports the boards on both the left and right sides. (The two sides are connected by a pair of criss-crossing horizontal supports at the back that you lock into position based on how far apart you want the left and right side to be.) I can't really speak to its strength, not having used it much, and only using lightweight keyboards, but based on specs, it can handle a lot. I'm sure you could google reports from other users.

Reaction score
I also use the Ultimate Support Apex AX-48. It comes with 2 tiers -18" tri-bars. Just add a 3rd tier with a CMP-485 clamp and a pair of tribars, either 13" or 18" (I use 13" for the top tier). The stands channel system allows to easily adjust spacing for your keys.
The photo shows a tablet mounted to the optional boom mount fitted to the top of the stand. I'm currently using a 21" monitor which I've adapted to a custom mount inserted into the top portion of the stands channel.
Great stand and very portable.

View attachment 2912
HI Bob,
Very interesting & Cool Set up. I got to ask what Boss pedal is that ? What do you use it for in that configuration rather than on the floor?

Thx
ElectricEddie

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Standtastic stand for many years now. I have it set up as a 3 tier with a 4th level to carry a midi router and some other outboard stuff. It’s heavy, but almost infinitely adjustable (I even have an optional mic boom attachment which further helps to reduce my footprint on stage. I typically have either an RD piano or mx88 (both 88 key weighted) on the bottom tier and a Roland XP 60 in the middle with a Korg N364 on top. The angles and heights of all tiers can be adjusted for ergonomics and there’s completely open space underneath for whatever sustain/fx pedals you care to use. I’ve even mounted my X-air mixer to the stand. I have 3 other stands and none come close to the versatility of the Standtastic. Parts and options are still available even though I’ve had this for probably 30 years. I’ve got a gig tonight and I’ll try to remember to snap a photo of it and post it for reference. It’s very stable and there’s never an issue with its weight capacity.

Reaction score
Hey Old no.7, I love the Picture on the wall with what I think are the 4 Best Keyboardist in the world. Can you tell me where I could get one as well?
Thx ElectricEddi
Hi, and thanks -- I printed those images and added them and the text into the frame myself, it was not store bought.

Old No7

Reaction score
Well, didn’t snap a pic as promised, but I found a photo of a setup I sometimes use, so I’ll post that. (I don’t remember why my rig was set up in the basement but whatever). A couple of things have changed - I no longer use a mic stand - I have an optional boom that mounts into the top left corner of the standtastic. Also I have switched to a Behringer Xair 12 mixer for the rig that I have permanently mounted to the bottom right leg of the stand. It adds a little weight to the stand rig (I also leave a short snake connected to the mixer that I can quickly stereo patch into the boards without carrying around a bunch of patch cords.) but it’s all in the name of quick setup. If anyone’s interested to see what that looks like, I’ll try to remember to get a pic of that when I get a chance. I love the Xair as a keyboard mixer - it’s so compact and has tons of controllability. One strong suggestion I would have is that, if you plan to use one, pick up a little wifi router to use with it. The X series Behringer mixers come with their own routers, but my experience has been that they are not very good. There is a ton of latency and almost no range at all. Spend 50 bucks on a little router and you’ll never have a problem. We also use an X32 for our FOH and it’s so handy to be able to control my own dedicated in-ear monitoring.

B685571D-8989-4364-8605-7EEE2E8099AD.jpeg

Reaction score
HI Bob,
Very interesting & Cool Set up. I got to ask what Boss pedal is that ? What do you use it for in that configuration rather than on the floor?

Thx
ElectricEddie
Eddie,

The pedal shown is actually a BeatBuddy drum pedal. I have it mounted to a mic boom so I can make setting changes between and sometimes during songs.. I do use a Boss FS-6 double switch pedal on the floor to control start/stop and transitions during songs.

Thanks for asking.

Bob

Ask a Question