guitarist buying first keyboard Korg micro x ?

Reaction score
Hey you guys Hi Im a guitarist wanting to learn a bit of keyboards for my 4 piece band we play mostly covers I need a small portable keyboard that does some good quality sounds will the Korg micro x do that or is there something more suited to what I want
thanks in advance ,hope to hang about here and learn some stuff once I get a keyboard
cheers Derek

Reaction score
Hello Derek, welcome to the forum.

The Micro X is a good sounding keyboard. Fine for holding down a chord (one handed) or playing a simple riff or little melody. Comes with its own carrying case.

There's a midi in - (in time if you need more keys) if you have anything with a midi out (any old home keyboard lying around) get a midi cable and you can use it to trigger the sounds in the Micro X.

If you play guitar already get someone to show you a few simple chords for songs your band does. Even two note stuff to get going (e.g. for G major - root and third G and B; or root and fifth - G and D).

Take the Micro X along to your rehearsals and get it into a song right away. Just dive in there - you've done the hard bit, you can already play an instrument, you're in a band that can play proper tunes - just add the keys in - held chords for a moody verse or chorus or something then back to the guitar.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your reply

So checking out the Micro x and there is also a Kork micro XL and a Korg microkorg any opinions on the 3 in comparison , or should Istick with the microx should be able to pick up one for about £150

CHEERS Derek

Reaction score
IMO a Micro X for £150 is a good buy. You're a guitar player who's going to be adding a bit of keys. You don't want to be lugging round any more gear than you have to. It's compact, good sounds - covers a lot of ground, enough keys for one handed chording or playing a riff / lick / melody / motif - whatever you want to call it.

What's the gig scene like over in Ayr?

Reaction score
Hi thanks again

miissed out on one yesterday went for £150 got another 2 in my sights on ebay

so fingers Xd

Gig scene is ok afew pubs in Ayr and prestwick , ie Twa dugs Ayr Obriens Ayr
the eagle tavern prestwick , depends what size of gig you play but pub gigs do us
theres always the trip to Glasgow been there done that ! prefer to be home earlier
than running all over the place

thanks again mate Derek

Ask a Question