Hammond and Leslie questions/options

Reaction score
So I'm looking to upgrade my rig and starting to seriously think about going the Hammond/Leslie route. I'm looking at the XK3 and I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the XK-3C. I'm not a techie so it's hard for me to understand if the differences warrant the extra cost. I'm also not a gear snob so I have a hunch that I might not even notice a difference unless it's a fairly big upgrade.

As for the Leslie, I found a good combo deal that includes a 2101. Surprisingly, I can't find much online regarding the differences between the 2101 and the mk2 and have no idea if it's worth the upgrade.

I want an awesome sounding organ, and am willing to spend money if it's worth it for said upgrades. Ultimately I want to stay in the price range of the above equipment. If it matters, I play hard rock/metal, and also do more mellow, jam rock stuff on the side.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
XK3 vs XK3c: two largest improvements of the xk3c:
- Splitting the vibrato/chorus (like a B3) between two manuals. Currently the XK3 functions like an L Series: vibrato/chorus on/off for both manuals, i.e. can't be turned on independently by manual; XK3c it can (like a B3)
- Improved leslie simulation. XK3 leslie sucks; XK3c is much improved but, unfortunately, still not great.

2101 vs MK2: 2101 50watts/channel to the outputs, MK2 75watts/channel to the outputs; I think there was also some improved routing capabilities of the inputs.

for both above, those are the highlights; there are other improvements but those are the biggest. Personally, unless the splitting of the V/C is a deal breaker for you, I'd personally go with the XK3 with a Neo Ventilator doing the leslie. I was going to purchase the 2101/MK2 until I used a friend’s Vent; I purchased the Vent and it sounds every bit as good as the 2101. It is also way cheaper and way smaller.

There was actually a video comparing a 122, the Neo Ventilator and the leslie sim of the XM-2 (same leslie sim as the XK3c). Using good headphones or quality speakers you’ll see that the Neo Vent sounds much better than the xm2’s internal leslie and also VERY close to a 122.

Here’s the Video:

Here’s also an interesting article you should read which may sway you away from the 2101 to the Vent:
http://organissimo.org/ventreview_1.htm

One other thought is that you might want to consider the next generation of hammond/leslies clones like the Hammond SK1/SK2; Crumar Mojo; Hamichord; and the Diversi KeyB Duo Mk3. Yes, the bar has been raised again…. But these are pretty expensive clones. Personally, if it were me, I’d go with an XK3 and the Vent. That combination will sound sweet, not that heavy and not that expensive. The sound will get you there……

Here's an XK33 system with a Leslie 3300. The Vent will sound very simliar to the 3300... Jim can really play... especially check him out from about 5:15 on in the video; wow ...

Reaction score
I "second" Dave's suggestion to consider the Neo Ventilator. It is THE best and most realistic leslie sound you can get without the bulk and weight. Of course, you do need some pretty decent speaker(s) and amplification. Don

Ask a Question