Hello all, not sure if I ever posted here before !

Reaction score
Anyway, it looks like I have not posted here but joined some time ago. Like anyone coming to a new site, I see a maze in front of me at the moment, so excuse the newby questions on direction.

I guess I really don't know which way I want to go. I've owned a grand piano for decades but I'm a one year old veteran of the Kawai MP6. That is my introduction instrument to keyboard playing. I have that wired off to a 10" sub via balanced Line ports and then off to two M-audio Monitors via XLR cables. It sounds pretty decent all in all but I really feel there is room yet for improvement. I'm looking to improve it then ! I also am intrigued with the layering concept. I know there is more to be offered there as well than what is just on board, as great as that sounds already. I would like to do more with that .

That said, I play for a small but growing Bible Study group ( solo), I would like as real a piano sound as I can affordably make and maybe more fade in and out of string layers and other realistic but interesting instrumental sounds etc. Any suggestions as to how to proceed. It may be I just don't know the MP6 well enough yet, it took me weeks to get the piano sound as it is and then saved when I first got it, LOL ( Concert Grand and Mellow Grand sounds actually) !! Just lead me to the right articles or messages if nothing else.

Thank's for reading !!
David G.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard David

One possibility if you are looking to get a better piano sound is to use a software VSTi like Pianoteq using a computer and your Kawai as a controller.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks Gary,

Yes I know about Pianoteq and like the sound of the online samples. How well would that interface with layering instrumentals, well, not so well ? I've thought about sound modules as well.

Funny, I went for the best piano experience I wanted to lay cash out for in the MP6 and find myself hooked on added sounds but also really good piano sound as well.. I briefly had looked at arrangers, Motif, Korg synths before the Kawai purchase. I've enjoyed the keyboard experience way more than I anticipated. Now sometimes I wonder, maybe I should have gone Motif etc. !

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Using a decent quality studio mixer and your Kawai as a controller you could literally layer dozens of sounds from multiple sources including VSTis, modules and even other keyboards. I do it myself now and then with a PC3K8, an M-Audio Venom and a Casio XW-P1. I'm even planning to expand my setup by adding a few modules in the future as well. I'm seriously looking at picking up a Peavey MuseBox and a Waldorf Blofeld.

Personally I'm not all that keen on computer based VSTis because they tend to suck up a lot of computing power and I run a Linux based system with limited VST options.

Also for a true gearhead, there's simply something more substantial about having a hardware box doing the heavy lifting :)

If budget is not a limitation, then take a look at the Muse Receptor line of VST modules. Basically it's dedicated hardware for running VSTis.

Anyway, with enough mixer channels the sky's the limit for layers. You could merge computer based sounds as well as modules as well as keyboards even simultaneously running the layers your keyboard is natively able to. All the while using the single Kawai action as your main controller.

Gary

Reaction score
All you really need to create as many layers as you want are a decent 12 or higher channel mixer and MIDI patchbay software like this one.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/midi-patchbay-by-soundigy

If you want to eliminate the computer entirely you could even opt for daisy chaining your MIDI outputs or using a hardware MIDI switcher.
So it boils down to a mixer really, then adding in various means of sound from there. I am not real hung up on attaching a computer, I know it works and probably great but boxes, knobs, sliders are more intriguing to me. I suppose on VST to get that great piano sound might be ok.

It's funny you mention the Peavey Musebox because when I first started looking into this stuff yesterday the first thing I hit on was that. I thought, how great is that !! Then I went looking for something a bit less pricey but found nothing that compares with it really.

David

Reaction score
If you're looking for a deal on a Musebox, Amazon has an open box unit for $630 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-035871...e=UTF8&qid=1394309188&sr=8-1&keywords=musebox

The deals are out there if you know where to look :)

Gary
That's a price I can handle but I want a little more secure feeling about the direction I'm going in with this stuff. I'm new to all this ! If I miss that one I'm sure another will pop up if it's the right choice. But thank you for letting me know.
David

Reaction score
David, I looked at the Kawai manual and it has 4 zone controller capability, plus user set ups to do splits and layers. I'd suggest deeper exploration of the board and possible set-ups, as you may be able to program layers and assign an on-board control knob to control individual layer volumn on the fly. I'm not personally familiar with this board, but know from other forum users that it is a well thought of keyboard by many users. If you're not familiar with "MIDI", here is a link to help you get started on how MIDI works and is an essential basic knowledge set you'll need to delve into on-board set-ups and/or communications with a sound module. http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm
Hope this is useful. Don

Reaction score
David, I looked at the Kawai manual and it has 4 zone controller capability, plus user set ups to do splits and layers. I'd suggest deeper exploration of the board and possible set-ups, as you may be able to program layers and assign an on-board control knob to control individual layer volumn on the fly. I'm not personally familiar with this board, but know from other forum users that it is a well thought of keyboard by many users. If you're not familiar with "MIDI", here is a link to help you get started on how MIDI works and is an essential basic knowledge set you'll need to delve into on-board set-ups and/or communications with a sound module. http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm
Hope this is useful. Don
I've read the manual may times. I use the 4 zones now, you can save two for on start up, channel 3 and 4 so far anyway you have to re setup after a shut down. yes you can mix the 4 channels and yes you can control sliders on the fly. It,'s a great soundi g instrument incidentally. Thanks for yor reply and I will keep digging.

Reaction score
Incidentally to add to my last post, I do split the keyboard in two to three of the channels now. If channel 3 and 4 would save though I could do a setup that I use a lot, where I switch in 2, then off and bring in 3 and 4. 3 is a flute that I use from E3 up and 4 is the same piano I use in 1. In one I don't split it though, in 4 I split it from G3 down. 2 is a set of strings I use a lot . bUt shut of the piano I lose most of this, so have to go menu diving to set it up. You can change it all out live but not set it up after shut down.

Reaction score
I've tried that but not sure if there is a way or not. I'm dedicating tomorrow morning to going over the manual while at the keyboard. There are various ways to save at this keyboard, so maybe. Thus far in any way I have struck on I have not been able to save channel 3 and 4. In fact it even reverts back to 3 being in Midi by numbers. Others may say internal or external etc. But 1 for sure comes up as saved . But I may be able to save a full setup to a stick, I have not tried that yet only because I have not wanted to format a stick ! There may be firmware upgrades too that need a formatted stick to save from the computer and then install. I think I better get them now that the Mp7 is out.

Reaction score
So I can save the zones as a setup ( Kawai likes to call the channels zones). I kind of wasted time naming it because when you shut the keyboard down, turn it back on and hit the setup menu you kind of have to remember the number you renamed anyway. Once you hit the number ( this one is 1-8-a) then it come sup in the menu as the name. But ya, it works, yay !! At least it's working for that one setup I mentioned in a previous post. I have not tried others yet though I assume it will save them as well. Split keyboard and all worked, it's just as it was when I saved it. That's a first.

I also saved individual sounds for each zone for when I hit each zones button when not playing that setup. I saved common ones that I use regularly. Again a first, i only ever could save two in the past. But they won't just save as sound, I had to save them each individually as start up, then change to the one I actually wanted as start up which is grand piano zone 1. But it left them functional when clicking back on each zone after shut down. It's ok, it's as though the sound was saved directly just a convoluted way to get there.

I still may want Pianoteq or other Virtual piano just for the piano sound though. I may download the trial tomorrow and see what I think. This keyboard is already adjustable for piano sound in about every direction imaginable, from tone and EQ, to curves, to custom velocity curves, delay, key off, sustain-------. You name it, I have it playing for all intents and purposes like my grand piano. It feels similar, just the mid tone register bothers me. That is about the only place in Concert Grand that might give away that it really isn't a real acoustic concert grand. The entire upper register I like better than my acoustic grand really ! The clarity there is gorgeous. The base is great since I play through a Sub woofer. The dynamic range is great once you get that set up, that took me months to get just the way I wanted it.. Not sure what a VST will bring to the table or if Pianoteq is even the best option.

Ask a Question