Hello, looking for some expert insight

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a first keyboard.
I've been playing on my grand piano for about 8 years, and would like to expand to keyboard/synth, but i am virtually clueless on the topic
some features i would like are

-USB Recording? or anyway to record on my computer without having to buy expensive software, i have a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy soundcard, i bought this for gaming but i guess it could help with this.

-Lots of Sounds, this is obviously obvious, but looking for sounds for harmonizing with various Melodic Death Metal and Symphonic Black Metal bands, ino its probably an unpopular genre in the keyboard forum (i'm assuming here)

-Pitch Bend

-50+ keys

- I would need it to be loud enough to be heard over a metal drummer, i have Logitch z-5300's that are loud, and a peavey vypyr 75 watt guitar amp, it would need to be connected to either one, (is this possible?) i can always save up for a keyboard amp if necessary

I really like the features offered by the Korg x50 and Roland Juno-d, my budget is probably around $700, I'm taking A.P. Music Theory class next year and will learn scale structures, so maybe an arpeggiator would be nice

What are the advantages of a synth over an arranger?
There's probably more i should mention but i can't think of anything off the top of my head,
I'd appreciate expert help and not
"Get the juno-d"

Reaction score
One of the main questions for you would be what key weightings you want. As you've been playing grand for so long I would guess you want at least semi-weighted.

In answer to some of your questions:

USB recording: A little bit of clarification, do you mean recording audio through USB or sending MIDI signals through USB? Many modern keyboards have a USB out for MIDI signals, but for audio you should be able to plug straight into the line-in (careful with you levels!) on your soundcard. Software-wise, Audacity is great for recording audio, and most importantly is free. I'm not very clued up about MIDI sequencers, but I hear that Fruity Loops is good (but not free).

Sounds: Not a problem, most modern keyboards have more than enough for you to be getting on with.

Pitch Bend: Normally standard

50+ keys: Being a pianist, I would recommend the full 88 keys, but that might be a little expensive. 76 keys should be OK for you.

Loud: Playing next to ANY drummer will swiftly reassess your definition of what is loud. Even if the keyboard you finally choose does have internal speakers, they will not be able to compete with a metal drummer. I used internal speakers for a pit-band gig once - you could have fried eggs on the power transformers by the end... Your surround sound would probably do for private rehearsal, it wouldn't cut it at a gig and you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere to put them all! I would recommend getting a proper keyboard amp as your guitar amp will cut the frequency response and be loaded down with useless tone controls. Check Roland's KC series for all sizes and wallets.

Arpeggiator: Don't go out of your way to get one, you can do the same thing with some sequencer software on your PC.

Synth/Arranger: The line between the two is getting a little blurred. Synthesizers are geared more towards creating your own sounds, whereas an arranger is more for, well, arranging and playing back music. Both have various advantages and disadvantages. For more information, have a look HERE

Out of those two, I would be slightly more tempted with the Roland as it is more geared towards live work and is much simpler to use and the features would be more useful to me, but that's not to say that the Korg is not worth discarding. My advice would be to actually find somewhere that has these in stock and actually spend time playing them and decide based on that.

HTH!

Reaction score
semi-weighted at least, didn't realize that at first
I hear Korg Tritons are great for symphonic metal type stuff, could i get one used around $700? or is that too low?
I'd be fine with 61+ keys as well

Reaction score
Tritons are excellent keyboards but you'd probably be hard pressed to find one for under ~$1000 (going by 2nd hand prices over here). You might be able to get the rack version cheaper, but you would need to find a controller.

Ask a Question