Hello all. I'm Looking for recommendations.

Reaction score
Hello all,
I need some recommendations. I did the search thing and didn't see an answer to my specific needs, so here goes....
I like to play classical, jazz, and progressive rock. I currently own an acoustic piano and a Hammond Organ. I want to get a digital keyboard for a variety of reasons, but I'm a bit ignorant about the capabilities and limitations of the different types of digital keyboards available these days.
IE: Digital Pianos, Arrangers, Workstations, Synthesizers.
I would like some recommendations on what type of unit to get, and then specific make and model recommendations as well.
Here is what I want:

88 weighted keys.
Ability to plug into an amp via 1/4" jack.
Good piano sound, of course.
Other sounds like electric piano, hammond organ, etc.
Some accompaniment features, like bass and drums, varying musical styles,different time signatures.

Now, I believe all the above features are available on most digital pianos, but here is where it gets a little more complicated;

I'd like to utilize midi more since I'm not too familiar with it's uses other than using it to print sheet music I've been unable to find elsewhere. Perhaps to use it to play along with and better learn pieces I like.

I'd like to perhaps get some good lead synth and synth bass sounds reminiscent of the mini moog with pitch bend and modulation.

Perhaps compose, play, and record some multi track stuff on it.

With that said, I'd like some recommendations on type of keyboard and make and model to get. I'd like to keep in under $2K, under $1.5K is even better.

Now if I'm trying to get too much out of a single keyboard let me know, and I'll just have to think in terms separate purchases. But of course I'd like to have it all at once! Maybe it’s simply an 88 weighted key workstation, Let me know……

Thanks for any recommendations you have.

Reaction score
It sounds like an 88 key workstation is what you're looking for. Though I think most of those are above your budget atm... I should add, though, that I don't know about every workstation available, but I can list a few:

Korg M3:

Probably the best when it comes to the accompaniment features, but the 88 key version goes for about $3k

Korg Triton Extreme:

Might fit into your budget, I don't know if it has any accompaniment features at all, though...

Korg M50

Might fit into your budget, I think it has similar accompaniment features as the M3, but not as many editing capabilities as the M3. This keyboard is not yet available for buying, though, but might be in a few months

Yamaha Motif series:

The best piano sounds, and some good accompaniment features as well, but I think most of them costs around $2.5k or so.

Roland Fantom series:

I really don't know much about those, I don't know the difference between the different versions either, but I suppose they have some accompaniment features, and they're pretty easy to learn. Think they cost about the same as the motif series.

That's the ones I know... As you can see, most of them are about $2k. Maybe someone else at the forums knows about other boards that might be of interest ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. After doing more research, it seems an 88 weighted key work station would be exactly what I want, but as you said, they are a bit out of my price range right now.
I'm leaning toward the Yamaha YPG-635 right now, because it has the 88 keys, good piano sound plus alot of other sounds,some accompaniment, and midi capabilities.
If you have any insight to this rig or others similar let me know.
Thanks!

PS I'm gonna have to get a big fat workstation someday!:D

Reaction score
The YPG-635 is a very nice keyboard indeed, though it has a few downsides, as well.
I haven't tried one myself, so some of the things I mention here might not be correct, but I hope that it will be :)

I think the accompaniment features are not really that advanced, so I doubt that you will be able to set it to different time signatures, it might not have anything else than drums to accompaniment you.

Does it even have a modulation wheel? As mentioned, I'm not that sure, but it's worth checking out.
And I suspect that the sound-editing capabilities are a bit limited, but yet again, I haven't tried one.

Except for those things, it's a really nice board, 88 weighted keys, great sounds, built-in speakers and all that kind of stuff. But if you want to have everything that you mentioned above, you will probably have to buy a new one sooner or later anyway.

So, next time you play one, check those things out, and report back with your results :)

Reaction score
Well, I've been web surfing and paying visits to some music shops and the Yamaha MO-8 seems to fit the bill. Yea, It's not a full blown workstation like the Triton, Motif, or Fantom. But it does have some workstation/synth capabilities, good piano sounds (among others), and 88 weighted keys. All for under $1.5K.
I just don't think it can be beat for versatility in my price range.
Thanx for the help Sargas. I appreciate it.:)

Reaction score
Korg M50

Might fit into your budget, I think it has similar accompaniment features as the M3, but not as many editing capabilities as the M3. This keyboard is not yet available for buying, though, but might be in a few months

It is now, It just came out and I went to Guitar Center to play it, and it is really awesome. Problem is it can be very expensive.

Ask a Question