Hello

Reaction score
what kind of keyboard do you have? could you recommend me one? i was looking at the Yamaha S03 Music Synthesizer.

Reaction score
hi

hey all, i recently bought a yamaha psr e403, im pretty new to keyboard but i want to get into some lead metal style stuff, say like dream theater, children of bodom, dragonforce etc. I want to learn as much as i can though so im tryin a bit of blues and jazz and anything else i can get my hands on.

Reaction score
hey all, i recently bought a yamaha psr e403, im pretty new to keyboard but i want to get into some lead metal style stuff, say like dream theater, children of bodom, dragonforce etc. I want to learn as much as i can though so im tryin a bit of blues and jazz and anything else i can get my hands on.

hmm... if you're into DT i would recommend a KORG keyboard cause Rudess plays mostly on korg, and you won't find that kind of pads on Yamaha keyboards (although korg pianos suck BIG time, except maybe the new one on the M3).

I don't know how large your budget is but you can find really great keyboards starting real cheap like the Trinity, mid class like the triton series, and high class like the new M3 or the ultra expensive Oasys.

Tritons and Trinitys are not sold any more so you'll have to find something used.

But if you need great pianos and acoustic instruments definitely go for some Yamaha keyboard or maybe a Roland FantomX...

Yamaha has something like the MO (if you don't need the sampler option) or the MOTIF. There are several MOTIFs out there like the first one - MOTIF classic (usually just MOTIF6/7/8) from the year 2000 if i'm not mistaking, then there's the MOTIF ES (i just have NO words to describe that keyboard... Great is not enough), and there's the MOTIF XS... a new yamaha flagship workstation.

It all depends on what you need and expect from an instrument.

Reaction score
And here they are :D

KORG Trinity

Korg Triton LE

KORG TR

KORG Triton Classic

KORG Triton Studio

KORG Triton Extreme

KORG M3

KORG Oasys

Roland FantomX

Yamaha MOTIF (Classic)

Yamaha MO

Yamaha MOTIF ES

Yamaha MOTIF XS

Reaction score
Wow!

Man those things are awesome, thanks sysryn youve given me something to ponder, i do like the korgs just from watching rudess play them, that continuum fingerboard looks fun too haha but a little too expensive for me. I was also thinking of getting a keytar, i think itd be good for stage presence and also fun to play, ive been checking out the yamaha shs 10 just for a first off el cheapo, theres a few of them on ebay.

Reaction score
Man those things are awesome, thanks sysryn youve given me something to ponder, i do like the korgs just from watching rudess play them, that continuum fingerboard looks fun too haha but a little too expensive for me. I was also thinking of getting a keytar, i think itd be good for stage presence and also fun to play, ive been checking out the yamaha shs 10 just for a first off el cheapo, theres a few of them on ebay.

A what!?!? A keytar?! We're not in the 70' or 80' any more...
Don't take this personal but i think you would be the laughing point
of all the audience on stage... And no keytar can compare to any
workstation by it's power, sounds or options. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it.... Borat comes to mind :D

Reaction score

You clearly havn't seen Vadim from Dragonforce play live or in the Operation Ground and Pound music video. The crowd was cheering like crazy when he did his crazy Keytar Solos and he looks really cool playing the thing in the music video(although, admittedly, he did a poor job of decorating it :p). Besides, keytars are great for less intricate parts in songs where the keyboardist can run around and put up a better show for the crowd. My biggest problem with keyboards is the low profile on stage it brings, compared to the vocalist and guitarists, and keytars offer a nice solution.

Plus, powermetal and 80's rock go hand in hand :p.

Reaction score
You clearly havn't seen Vadim from Dragonforce play live or in the Operation Ground and Pound music video. The crowd was cheering like crazy when he did his crazy Keytar Solos and he looks really cool playing the thing in the music video(although, admittedly, he did a poor job of decorating it :p). Besides, keytars are great for less intricate parts in songs where the keyboardist can run around and put up a better show for the crowd. My biggest problem with keyboards is the low profile on stage it brings, compared to the vocalist and guitarists, and keytars offer a nice solution.

Plus, powermetal and 80's rock go hand in hand :p.

hmm... that's not my kind of music so that's why i haven't seen it. But the fact is you cannot play expressively on a keytar as you can on a full
workstation keyboard... We have today modern technology such as
sampled ROM memories where all the preset sounds are kept, and there
were no such things way back then...

I'm just looking at this "situation" from the quality, and options point of view

Reaction score
hmm... that's not my kind of music so that's why i haven't seen it. But the fact is you cannot play expressively on a keytar as you can on a full
workstation keyboard... We have today modern technology such as
sampled ROM memories where all the preset sounds are kept, and there
were no such things way back then...

I'm just looking at this "situation" from the quality, and options point of view

Well, of course you can't. I doubt it was intended as a main instrument from the start. I'm still getting one though. :p

Reaction score
I think the freedom of being able to run around and be a knob on stage shouldn't be restricted to the guitar and bass players and of course the singer, im personally a big fan of 80's rock too and i agree that vadim was a badass with that thing, i saw them live in perth and like letsel said the crowd went nuts, it was really refreshing. Youd probably have to be careful not to overdo it though.

Reaction score

Well he can buy a Roland ax7 which is a midi controller and use racks insteed and get pretty good sounds out of it any way =D

+ I think if someone plays on a keytar these days people would find it quite cool as there aren't really usuall these days, atleast not around sweden.

Ask a Question