Help please

Reaction score
I have a yamaha psr 38 keyboard and I am looking to upgrade to something with more options and better sound (I use it for recreational play).

I have the possibility of getting a Casio CTK-510 expert logic accompaniment. Is the Casio better than my Yamaha?

Quick responses appreciated it is for sale on craigslist and I do not know how long it will last!

Reaction score
Rule no.1 - No Casio keyboards :)

I don't know how much does it cost but it seems you're on a tight budget.

I'd recommend you get the PSR e413 which is far better then the Casio

It has 32 notes polyphony (Casio only 16), it has over 500 sounds (Casio only 120),
over 150 styles (Casio only 40), there's even a learning suit built in etc etc...

It's a great little keyboard to start with.

Yamaha-PSR-E413.gif

Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say not that one!

Have a look at ctk-700 or 800 maybe.

Ok. i exaggerated a bit, but still, the PSR e413 offers a lot more then the ctk800 (more sounds, more styles, more effects etc). not to mention how yamaha sounds better, especially the styles.

And i think they cost the same

Reaction score
Not a lot wrong with my Casio CTK-900 (OK, I'm a beginner!)
32 notes, 550 tones,160 preset rhythms, auto accompaniment, song memory etc.
In the UK they are available at about £125.00 now ( I think)

Reaction score
What exactly is- polyphony?

It's the number of tones that can be played at the same time.

For example:

If you have 2 sounds layered you use 2 notes polyphony by a single key press. (although some sounds like the stereo
sampled piano on some keyboards has multiple levels so it takes 2-3 notes of polyphony on a single key all by itself)

If you play with both hands (lets say an octave in your left hand + a chord in your right hand) you're using approximately 5x2=10 notes of polyphony.

Now, when you press the sustain pedal you "keep" those tones and by playing simple piano pieces with the sustain you can easily fill all the polyphony you have which will cause the notes to "drop" (the first notes will stop playing).

It does seem that 32 notes is enough, but trust me, when playing long/fast passages and/or apreggios under sustain you can get over 60-70 with no problem.

Hope i made it a bit clear now :)

Reaction score
How does the PSR Portatone PSR-215 compare to my PSR 38?

Replies appreciated

to be honest... they are both toys... and old ones. if you really want to do something out of your playing get something decent.

I played on a lot of crappy-low end keyboards in my early days and i'm sorry i did that. In the end it cost me a lot more then if just went into a store and got myself a good piano in the start.

Changing X numbers of toy-starter keyboards is not smart.

At the end of the day, none of us is that rich to buy cheep stuff

Reaction score
In the end it cost me a lot more then if just went into a store and got myself a good piano in the start.

Changing X numbers of toy-starter keyboards is not smart.

I whole-heartedly agree. If you want to build a good foundation in playing keys, get a decent acoustic piano or something digital with 88 weighted keys.:)

Reaction score
It depends on how experienced you are. There are really good keyboards from Casio for beginners and there are loads for experienced players.

If your still new to keyboards, the Casio CTK-4000 is really good. It goes really cheap at music stores too. I believe it has good sound for its built in speakers.

Ask a Question