Help with MIDI connection

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I have a Technics KN920 that I've connected to Garageband for MAC with a MIDI to USB lead. Garageband has recognised a MIDI input, but I can't hear or see anything coming from the keyboard. What MIDI settings do I need to set the keyboard to? I have consulted the manual but it's not very helpful. Fingers crossed someone knows!

Reaction score
I don't find any source on the web which states that the Technics KN920 USB connection supports midi. Many of the early USB connections on keyboards only allow exchange of computer data (not including midi). However, If you have the DIN (standard) midi connections on the keyboard , you should still able to use those connections and a midi interface to connect midi to the computer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your connections. MIDI IN always connects to MIDI OUT and vice versa.

The computer sees the USB side of the adapter properly because there's no way to reverse the connector.

The MIDI ends won't work though if reversed.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's been about 9 months since I figured out how to connect my Casio PX-160 and get it working with Garage Band. Unfortunately, I did not keep my notes because once I got it working, it has worked ever since. But it took about 3 days and lots of frustration to find the right settings.
First, there is not MIDI IN or MIDI OUT on a Mac. I'm using a USB cable.

I also had indications that the two were connected but not functioning properly. After you get that initial recognition, then from Apple Support:

Create a MIDI configuration
  1. In the Audio MIDI Setup app on your Mac, choose Window > Show MIDI Studio.
  2. In the MIDI Studio window, click the Choose MIDI Configuration pop-up menu (it may show Default), then choose New Configuration.
  3. Enter a name for the new configuration, then click OK.
One confusing thing about the process is MIDI Setup does not show up, in the System Preferences I believe, until the Mac recognizes that there is a MIDI device connected.

There was also a setting in GarageBand that was essential to complete the process, but again, I'm forgetting what that is because all I have to remember now is Casio's magic sequence for making the initial connection, and that has nothing to do with settings, just what gets turned on in what order, and I think that is more of a Casio thing than a Mac thing.

I'm working now, so should move on to the paying stuff. I'll make my connections this evening and see what my GarageBand settings are and will try to follow up this evening.

Ask a Question