Hammond SK1midi help please

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here...I'm trying to send out Hammond SK1 programs via midi. I'm stuck trying to figure out external zones.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
What do you mean by "send out Hammond SK1 programs via midi"?

External zones allow the SK1 to play sounds located in external gear (like in an attached sound module, iPad, laptop, second keyboard, etc.). Is that what you're trying to do?

Reaction score
Yes Scott..I'm trying to get the internal sounds midi'd over to pro tools....
I'm sending a signal that's being read in pro tools. I just don't know how to assign a sound to the signal

Reaction score
I'm sending a signal that's being read in pro tools. I just don't know how to assign a sound to the signal
What are you trying to get from the SK1 to Pro Tools? Are you trying to get MIDI? Or are you trying to get audio? The two are entirely different.

If you're bringing over MIDI, by definition, that does not include any sound. So yes, you need to then assign a sound to the signal, and that's something you have to figure out in Pro Tools, that may be what you need help with rather than the SK1, and I can't help you there. But you can choose to have Pro Tools use that MIDI data to trigger the SK1 sound, or some other sound from an organ VST on your computer, or some other sound altogether.

To record audio from the SK1 (whether from playing it directly or by sending it MIDI data), you'll need to connect the audio jacks of the SK1 to whatever interface you're using for Pro Tools, and route that to an audio track in Pro Tools. At that point, you're recording audio, not MIDI, since again, MIDI does not contain any audio at all.

Reaction score
You can not get the keyboard's internal sounds "into" Protools via midi. It is possible to play and control VST instruments (*located in your DAW) by connecting your keyboard and DAW together with midi. But that is done with software instruments loaded into the computer. The internal sounds in the SK1 won't transfer.
Don

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for taking the time to answer. Don, so you're sure about that, huh? I keep hoping that the external zone serves the function of sending internal sounds, but I guess that you're saying that Ext zone is for triggering purposes only. Dang!

Reaction score
Right... the SK1 can control its own (internal) sounds, and also external sounds (sounds not present in the SK1 itself), the latter is what the external zone function is for. The only ways to have SK1 sounds in a Pro Tools project would be to use MIDI to trigger the SK1 sounds or to play the SK1 manually, and either way, record that audio performance into Pro Tools. But the SK1 needs to be physically connected in order to have Pro Tools send MIDI to it, record MIDI from it, or record audio from it. Other than recorded tracks, you can't "play" SK1 sounds from a computer without having the SK1 connected to the computer.

Reaction score
My SK1 is physically connected to my computer via midi cables. I am able to play software instruments on my DAW via the SKI midi,
but I don't know how to send internal sounds via midi to my DAW. Don doesn't seem to think that I can .

Reaction score
My SK1 is physically connected to my computer via midi cables. I am able to play software instruments on my DAW via the SKI midi,
but I don't know how to send internal sounds via midi to my DAW. Don doesn't seem to think that I can .
It is impossible, on any device, to ever send sounds via MIDI. That's simply not what MIDI is for.

If you want the sounds from your SK1 to get into your DAW, you must use audio connections, not MIDI. In the case of your SK1, you would use the 1/4" line outputs.

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here...I'm trying to send out Hammond SK1 programs via midi. I'm stuck trying to figure out external zones.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Spend about 15 minutes reading this so that you understand what you are dealing with from a MIDI perspective.

Reaction score
Don, so you're sure about that, huh?
Bigfeet, I have never heard of any keyboard that has that function. Sorry brother. You're beating a dead horse. Don aka B3maniac

*** Sorry Bigfeet, I wrote this response last evening and must not have hit the button to post it. I now see that you got the work. Good luck. Read up on midi for sure! Don

Ask a Question