Hendrix chord

Reaction score
How big are your hands? You're stretching from a A to C. If you can make that stretch (most can't) then it is one note per finger. Assuming that you can't then play the A7 (four notes) in one hand and the 9# (the C) with the right hand or play the A chord in the left hand and the 7th and the #9 in the other hand. It's used in the song Black Cow (Steely Dan) and I use two hands to pull it off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave is spot on correct

I have pretty large hands and it is impossible for me to finger single handed.

I can play keys C4 and D5 together but A C# E G B# is a note to far.

Even using inversions and trying to span C & C# with my thumb I cannot make it with just one hand.

If one likes inflicting self pain then I suppose keep trying to play it could be a good stretching exercise for the hands.

Reaction score
Yes, it becomes very Bluesey and it was used to great effect by Jimi Hendrix in Purple Haze and is why the chord bears his name

Or rather he used E7#9 in the song which on a guitar with the fretting he used gives E E G# D G E and if we transpose that to A for continuity in the thread we have A A C# G C A which is a little different to what we have on a keyboard chord chart

Read more on Hendrix’s use of the chord on Fender’s website

Why not try playing A7+9 with different fingering and two hands.

Then try fingering G A C C# E one handed with a Strat Guitar voice with plenty of fuzz

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks Col,
I appreciate that.
I often substitute weird chords for standard chords and the sound is barely different.
Especially if only for one or two bars; eg D7 instead of D13. (can hardly pick the difference)
But in the case of Hendrix's unique sound . . maybe not!
cheers
Ray

Reaction score
It would be interesting to read what Paul has to say as I understand the 7+9 chords frequently occur in Pink Floyd music.

Sorry in advance Paul if I am wrong on this.

Reaction score
This clip is directly relevant to OP's question:

Col, WRT to Pink Floyd, I've not really noticed a prevalence of #9 chords. I will say that Richard Wright was a fan of (dominant) 9th chords here and there generally though. You can hear him using 9ths quite a bit in his piano comping and soloing and off the top of my head Great Gig in the Sky's main motif is Gm7 to C9. I have to think hard about this stuff because I've played these songs so often they've become muscle memory and I don't think about the chord structures that underpin them after they're embedded in my DNA!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
A C# E G B#
Col,
This relates to A7b9 according to my keyboard.
So I tried C# GAB. The screen on my KB says it is A7+9

Easy with one hand . . Pinky on C#1 Pointer finger and Thumb play the other 3 consecutive G1,A1,B1.

Not such a stretch.

Ray

Reaction score
Hey Ray,

I recommend you watch that video I posted which will explain why Col's description of A7#9 is correct.

The chord voicing you have described could be a version of A9, or A dominant 9, minus the fifth degree (E).

Reaction score
Yes it can be played one handed but to my thinking that then ceases to the The Hendrix Chord, it just becomes A7+9 (or a subtle variation).

Guitars are tuned in 4ths with strings tuned E A D G B E (thickest to thinest).

When Hendrix played the chord which now bears his name he picked the strings E E G# D G E, but it is how he sounded the chord that is interesting.

Looking at a rather old a grainy video he play the low E whilst already having fingered the four centre strings which will cause all strings to resonate.

Then there is a slight pause before he picks all six strings strumming down from Low E to High E, now the action of strumming does not sound the strings at the same time there is a slight time difference between picking each string.

Do take note that Hendrix played E E G# D G E with the four central strings fingered.

So to my minds eye a keyboard player needs to replicate Hendrix to play the Hendrix chord, if they cannot then it is not a Hendrix chord.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I recommend you watch that video I posted

I did.

But it doesn't really answer the OP's question . .

What is the best fingering for an A7+9 chord?

What I diiscovered (above) is hardly a stretch for ONE hand allowing right hand free to play melody.
I am no expert, but the screen on my board said it was +9.

Anyway I don't care. I will never be using that chord. i will substitute it if it ever comes up and I doubt I would ever play Hendrix tunes.

But I have enjoyed the discussion and no further comment from me.

Thanks guys.
Cheers Ray

Reaction score
Hi Ray,

I’ll have to disagree with you and your keyboard my friend.

The video I posted answers OP’s question directly. He didn’t say the fingering had to be one handed. I note it’s also the fingering suggested by DD and Col.

Your keyboard may say what you’re playing is an A7+9 (also known as A7#9). But it’s not. The #9 is a B# (or C). By playing a B instead you have turned the chord into a version of an A dominant 9 (or simply A9). One could also argue you’re playing the 2nd degree and not the 9th but that’s probably not a big deal either way and I understand your auto accompaniment will limit you a bit there.

Now you know me, I’m the least pedantic bloke going around and feel free to play whatever sounds nice to you, but A#9 and A9 are two completely different chords. For the sake of OP’s question I think that distinction is important in this case.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I’ll have to disagree with you and your keyboard my friend.
No worries mate.
I have 100% faith in you.

I have no idea.
To be honest the keyboard screen told me A7 9
The nine was in smaller case and there was no #or + between A7 and 9 . . . So I just assumed.

Time I backed off. It is all too deep for me. . .

Btw . . Who can be in a worse position right now? Bombers or Crows ? (Sorry, Everyone ignore . . For Paul only) lol

Bomber Ray

Reaction score
One interesting aspect I was shown when first encountering these 7+9 chords was that they include both the major and minor 3rd. I was then advised to voice these such that the two 3rds don't clash. The person showing me this spoke of "augmented 9ths" and how we can readily name both the major & minor 3rd as a shortcut.

Example: C7+9 will have both the major 3rd E and the minor 3rd Eb. (The +9 is actually D#, we're using the enharmonic equivalent Eb.)
To then spread them more open and not clash, we could play
LH = C
RH = E Bb Eb

It's also OK to not play the 5th as done with chord voicings.

Incidentally WRT the original A7+9, it'd feature its major & minor 3rd as
C# G C

P.S. If you want to hear A7+9 in action on keys, listen to the organ just after the start of Steve Miller's "Living in the USA," the words "Stand back."

Ask a Question