How can I or should I convince our keyboard player of .....

Reaction score
I got some good ideas for a new keyboard for our curmudgeon keyboard player from this forum.

The Roland Juno DS did quite well when we both went and tried out a used DS61 at GC; it was $650.

But the keyboard player still claims that is old 90's Yamaha PSR500 is the cream-d-la-creme. It's fricking dying though!

GC had a used Kurzweil PCe LE7 for $539 that I liked. "Oh that's too heavy. I'm not carrying that to gigs."

I had him audition with another rock band that I played in.
He showed up with a Casio and the band mates said "get this guy out of here that thing sounds like a toy keyboard."

Frankly, I think the Yamaha PSR500 also sounds shitty and outdated. I taped it on a gig for him to hear himself and he said "oh that's your camera that sounds like crap, not my keyboard."

I actually bought with my own money a Yamaha DX88 for him to try (ohhh the keys are too heavy ) and then a DX61 (oh mine sounds just as good). I returned both. (God bless Guitar Center with there 45 day return policy.)

His idea of a new quality keyboard for gigging is the Yamaha PSR EW310, a $269 keyboard. He actually bought one, but returned it saying "it can't do what my Yamaha PSR500 can do."

What can I possibly say to convince him otherwise?

Can't be lack of money; he had a $million in his 401k up until he bought his kid a $225k house.

Should I leave him be? Should I start looking for another keyboard player?

P

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why does every band have to be all drama.

I’m actually thinking about hanging up my spurs and never playing again in a band

Reaction score
Oh I probably should mention. You may find this tidbit interesting.

Our keyboard player used to work in management at Kodak, the long defunct film company. And we all know where Kodak ended up.

Stubborn and recalcitrant, just like Kodak.

Ask a Question