Should I buy the moxf8 flash memory?

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha moxf8 keyboard I use gigging with a rock band. Our bass player plays samples off his iPad for about three or four tunes. It’s connected via Bluetooth to a little receiver that he plugs into the mixer.
I thought I’d load them on my keyboard for ease, but it turns out I need a flash memory expansion board which costs near $300!

TL;DR is it worth it to buy? What uses have you found for additional memory /user sample loading on your board?

Reaction score
I have both the moxf8 and moxf6, the 1GB expansion modules in each one. I added them to run custom Motif samples of piano and horn section that were created by someone else. I used those samples in the studio and had to have them for a personal
project. I did the upgrade in 2019, and I could not find any 1GB modules in the US. (I learned in the past to always max out sampler memory if you upgrade, if you wait too long the memory can be obsolete and unobtainable). I ended up with two 1Gb modules from a place in Europe for just over $300. To manage the memory in each unit, the John Melas editor/librarian software is the best way to go (about 130 euros). It gets expensive to use that memory capacity when there are other tools that are easier and cheaper to do the job.
I think you're ahead of the game by just letting the bass player use the samples on the Ipad. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
Don aka B3maniac

Ask a Question