How do I midi a piano box usb to a Roland RD-300s digital piano?

Reaction score
How do I connect a piano box usb module to an RD-300s Roland digital piano using the midi connections and midi channels on the roland piano?

Reaction score
Any of a number of MIDI-USB host adapters should be able to do, it like the ones from MIDIPlus or Kenton. But what is the piano module? I dont remember ever seeing one that only had USB and no provision for standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors.

Reaction score
The module is called a "Piano Box USB". It can be connected to my Roland by standard midi in and out or to a laptop using the USB. My question is how do I set the midi channels on my Roland RD-300s to produce the 128 sounds from the "Piano Box" module?

Reaction score
I googled and found https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pianobox-Pro/dp/B07B9KF7FT - I assume that's the one? It says it has "Keyboard MIDI IN and OUT" so a simple MIDI cable from the Roland's MIDI Out to the box's MIDI In should do it. (Not that those other things I mentioned wouldn't work, but there's no reason to go to that expense.)

Most MIDI gear defaults to MIDI channel 1. So if you just plug in the one cable, it will probably just work. You select the different 128 sounds by sending Program Change commands from your Roland (which is independent of the channel question). I haven't used that Roland, but its manual should tell you to to send MIDI Program Changes.

Ask a Question