How to hook up a keyboard with USB output to an organ emulator with MIDI inputs?

Reaction score
So, I have Yamaha keyboard (EW410) and I am into Hammond organs (60's/70's rock). This is my first keyboard and I was hoping that it will be enough. Unfortunately, organ voices suck and I want to get more freedom in terms of how my instrument sounds. I'm planning to buy an organ emulator Ferrofish B4000+ (I watched some reviews and I feel like it's perfect for my use).
But there's this little problem. My keyboard has only USB to host port and USB to device port, but Ferrofish has only 2 MIDI input ports (for two manuals) and USB to host port. I heard, that hooking them up won't be as easy, as just buying usb to midi cable.
I can't really find anything helpful online. Hopefully I'm not alone and someone had this problem already. The problem is really specific and confusing. If my post is confusing too, then please, ask questions. (Not a native speaker)
PS. Buying different keyboard/synth/organ isn't really an option.

Reaction score
Having just asked this question myself a few months ago and viewing the backside of the EW410 and observing the connections available I believe you need one of these. Others will chime in if I'm off base....

As far as the Ferrofish, I'm not a fan of it. It may work for you depending on the level of authenticity of a Hammond/Leslie that you personally require. For me, it doesn't cut it. Yes, it has 9 drawbars and many options and alot of "editing" capabilities. Functionally it works fine; authenticity for me is the biggest driver and that is where it falls short in my view. My two cents.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, that Midiplus should do the trick. There are other options, such as one from Kenton, as well as from Bome. But if you want to get a USB-MIDI interface for connecting a USB-MIDI device such as the PSR-EW410 to a MIDI DIN device then you need the interface to be a "USB host" device.

Another possibility is to connect both devices to a computer, laptop, or tablet and let it serve as the USB host, but then you'll need a program running on the computer to serve as a MIDI router-- which is simple and free to do, as there are many free programs for doing that.

If you decide to go the computer route, there are a number of Hammond emulators that you can buy, such as the Arturia B-3 V, or the AIR Music Tech DB-33, and many others. You might want to watch the following YouTube video (disclaimer: I haven't watched it yet myself so I can't say how thorough or unbiased it is):

Of course, the advantage of using a dedicated USB-MIDI interface host device and a physical sound module is that your setup has greater mobility and you aren't relying on a computer that might suffer a sudden technical issue (such as a hard drive crash, or an automatic update that decides to reboot your computer) in the middle of your performance.

But the important thing is that a simple USB-MIDI interface cable such as the iConnectivity mio won't do what you need, because the interface needs to be a USB host device.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you!

I stumbled across something online about using midiplus (and such usb host devices), but then I got pretty confused by different sites and forum threads. I really thank you for clearing that up.

I don't really fancy using a computer to do anything with my keyboard. Booting up computer, hooking keyboard and ferrofish to it, then setting up any aps is really to much for me. So using my computer as USB host, or using a Hammond emulator won't be an option. Also, I'm going to play with my friends and bringing every time a laptop with me and setting it up would be a pain in the ... .

So, I'm going to probably buy Midiplus (or a different USB host, because I live in Poland and not everything is available here). If I won't be able find it here, then probably I will buy it on Amazon.

As for level of authenticity, I don't think that it will really matter in my situation. I'm a beginner and I just wanted something, that sounds moderately close to a Hammond. Something that won't sound and behave 1:1 as a real B-3 will do the job. Going from Yamaha's organ sounds to a Ferrofish is a really big step forward. I'm going to probably buy (in the future) a Hammond SK-2 or different keyboard (hopefully with two manuals) that will serve as a great organ. But again, that's in the future. Now I will learn and enjoy what Ferrofish has to offer.

Reaction score
I did some research and found, that MIDITECH USB MIDI Host is probably the cheapest option here in Europe. I also found some DIY ways to make such a host using an Arduino. I'm still not quite sure if I want to spend 77 Euro on miditech or to DIY it. But that's up to me.

If any fellow Europeans read this, I would be really thankful, if anyone had any idea, where to get a cheaper usb midi host. Delivery from USA costs 30$, so yeah...

Reaction score
check some sites like reverb.com or others; you might find midiplus "used" by someone who no longer needs it. I found Midiplus to be the least expensive of all of the options.

Reaction score
Ok, I found on British Amazon this DigitalLife USB MIDI Host. Hopefully it's the right thing. Price is pretty similar to Midiplus. You may check if it's the right thing (I doubt that it's not). For what I know, it's the best price-wise option available in Europe.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I think that should work, although the ad says not to use it with a device that has an internal USB hub. I don't think the PSR-EW410 has an internal USB hub, but I think some of much more expensive Yamaha models do. Hopefully you won't have any compatability issues with your PSR-EW410.

Reaction score
Of you have an iPad there is a couple of pretty good Apps, Galileo Organ 2 is pretty good and cheap at $25 but the best is the full Hammond B3x emulator but it costs $130

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ok, I found on British Amazon this DigitalLife USB MIDI Host. Hopefully it's the right thing. Price is pretty similar to Midiplus. You may check if it's the right thing (I doubt that it's not). For what I know, it's the best price-wise option available in Europe.

The Amazon Link says Power Supply Not Included.

If you have to spend an extra $20 for an adapter you're really not saving any money.

Sometimes it's wisest not to go too cheap on these things else one might end up regretting it.

Personally I use Linux Routing Software to control my Ferrofish from my Juno DS.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, before you spend money on a USB MIDI Host box, check to make sure your Yamaha is USB MIDI CLASS COMPLIANT.

If it's not, it simply won't work.

ie. Does your Yamaha need proprietary drivers to communicate with a computer?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, the PSR-EW410 is class-compliant, so it should not require a driver for MIDI-- although a driver is required if you want to use its USB audio capabilities.

Reaction score
The Amazon Link says Power Supply Not Included.

If you have to spend an extra $20 for an adapter you're really not saving any money.

Sometimes it's wisest not to go too cheap on these things else one might end up regretting it.

Personally I use Linux Routing Software to control my Ferrofish from my Juno DS.

Gary ;)
The "5V power supply" they are talking about is probably just a normal phone charger, so no worries there on buying additional junk for 20$.

Ask a Question