How to imitate a pro???

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's my honest advice: Start with Garageband before you even begin to look at Logic Pro X.

You will be hunting down MIDI configuration bugs until the dinosaurs make their triumphant return.

And maybe you should seriously look into one of the AI Composer Apps whoring themselves for pay on the intertweb these days.

It all boils down to how much you want to dirty your hands with details to get a passable result.

Reaction score
Here's my honest advice: Start with Garageband before you even begin to look at Logic Pro X.

You will be hunting down MIDI configuration bugs until the dinosaurs make their triumphant return.

And maybe you should seriously look into one of the AI Composer Apps whoring themselves for pay on the intertweb these days.

It all boils down to how much you want to dirty your hands with details to get a passable result.
I agree with you on Garage Band idea...
But I'd like to tickle the ivories for inspiration and self satisfaction. I don't want to sit in front of a computer for ours or expect the AI got the inspiration and wrote a music for me...

I do the same thing with my guitar too. At times I randomly walk my fingers on the neck of my LP and once in a while I hit a combo that looks like a cool lick and perks my ears. That's the uh-huh moment... and the time I spent with my guitar until that happens is the 90% of the fun..

If I sit in front of a computer for hours at a time with my Type A personality I may be damaging a lot of computers and that's no bueno!

Reaction score
My recommendation for a “new” rig would be either a Medeli AKX10 ($750), connected to your home computer, or a Novation Impulse 61 ($399), also connected to your home computer.
The extra $350 gets you a touch sensitive data entry screen, joystick pitch / modulation, loud bi-amped speaker system, user interface that is easily reconfigured, including the LED colors. Real time controls for filtering, etc. And gobs of included instruments, styles, songs, and so forth. Plus, it has plenty of I/O connections for computers, mixers, and MIDI modules. Oh, and you can plug in a microphone and use the vocoder and harmonizer.

A gushing review :

However, these recommendations are subjective, and your own tastes should determine what you want.

Reaction score

Type A Behavior Pattern (TABP)​

Competitiveness​

Type A individuals tend to be very competitive and self-critical. They strive toward goals without feeling a sense of joy in their efforts or accomplishments.
Interrelated with this is the presence of a significant life imbalance. This is characterized by a high work involvement. Type A individuals are easily ‘wound up’ and tend to overreact. They also tend to have high blood pressure (hypertension).

Time Urgency and Impatience​

Type A personalities experience a constant sense of urgency: Type A people seem to be in a constant struggle against the clock.
Often, they quickly become impatient with delays and unproductive time, schedule commitments too tightly, and try to do more than one thing at a time, such as reading while eating or watching television.

Reaction score

Type A Behavior Pattern (TABP)​

Competitiveness​

Type A individuals tend to be very competitive and self-critical. They strive toward goals without feeling a sense of joy in their efforts or accomplishments.
Interrelated with this is the presence of a significant life imbalance. This is characterized by a high work involvement. Type A individuals are easily ‘wound up’ and tend to overreact. They also tend to have high blood pressure (hypertension).

Time Urgency and Impatience​

Type A personalities experience a constant sense of urgency: Type A people seem to be in a constant struggle against the clock.
Often, they quickly become impatient with delays and unproductive time, schedule commitments too tightly, and try to do more than one thing at a time, such as reading while eating or watching television.
That's me alright! Fits like a glove!
;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
5n3flq.png

Reaction score
Software instruments is where its at for me these days. Ever since owning Reason 2.0 with a decent mid keyboard controller, I was writing a lot because I had so many sounds at my finger tips under one roof with good low latency performance. Hardware synths is a never ending rotation of buying, selling etc to get the latest and greatest, a lot of keyboardists are in this boat whether they admit it or not, some might be lucky to have enough space to hoard a lot of gear but for most of us we have limited space which is where soft synths, a DAW and decent computer and controller work well. Software is even easier to use for me than a hardware synth that has a ton of menus, pages and parameters and can be tedious to use on stupid little screens or OLED displays you end up squinting over. Software is more flexible IMO, easily upgradable so you don't have to sell things, storage limited only by the size of your computer's disk, easier preset management and integration into songs within your DAW. I spent many years, buying expensive keyboards and selling at a loss which basically burnt money and gained very little. At the end of the day, its about playing and creating, with powerful computers and the performance you an get with software, its way more cost effective with a better, longer life cycle. Hardware keyboards these days are basically a pc inside with a keyboard attached except not hardware upgradable in most cases.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Those of us who can afford the luxury of a well tuned hardware MIDI setup can appreciate your dilemma but the difference is like driving a Ferarri in real life or running one in Grand Theft Auto. :D :D :D

Reaction score
Let’s keep in mind that Jim wants to write Jingles.

He does not need a Rick Wakeman or Jordan Rudess multi keyboard setup, with its tons of menu’s, differing OS, not to mention the dark art of MIDI.

Surely KISS is the way to go, especially to get started.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Basically, it's the argument between steak and tofu.

Both will keep you alive but a good steak is worth enjoying.

And who says you can't write a jingle with a $3000 workstation.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's also the argument that a pro workstation makes you more motivated to play and practice.

As for learning menus?

I'm much happier knowing that the words are in English and a knob does what a knob is supposed to do.

As opposed to trying to guess the meaning of one of 200 squiggles on a menu bar in Logic Pro X.

Both require a learning curve to master, but there are plenty of video tutorials on how to record Mary Had A Little Lamb on any platform.

If you're going to make an effort then by all means have at it. But if you just want to hum a catchy tune into a microphone and create a symphony the software is out there already.

Why does anyone still use a ham radio these days? I can buy a $1 calling card and talk to Bangaloor all day if I want to but ham enthusiasts are in it for the challenge of bouncing a signal halfway around the globe ;)

For me, creating music that OTHERS can enjoy feeds my soul and drives me to perfect my craft.

My instruments become extensions of my gestalt. When I'm in front of a keyboard the universe finally shuts its yap and I am one with the spirit of the music.

It really doesn't matter what tools you use as long as you see them as an extension of yourself and your creative ideas.

But I'll enjoy a grilled steak instead of bean curd ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. :D :D :D

Reaction score
happyrat1 - "Software kills creativity where you want to work spontaneously at a whim" - probably one of the best pieces of advice I have read. My sentiments exactly.

Reaction score
*snipped*
Why does anyone still use a ham radio these days? I can buy a $1 calling card and talk to Bangaloor all day if I want to but ham enthusiasts are in it for the challenge of bouncing a signal halfway around the globe ;)

For me, creating music that OTHERS can enjoy feeds my soul and drives me to perfect my craft.

I love that part. IMHO that is the "Perfect" explanation of what truly being a "musician" means... And I don't mean to be a professional musician who fills the stadiums or earn Grammy but rather create something within our own capacity and experience the other people listening and enjoying or praising our creation.
Sometimes I lose myself in my room with guitar while daydreaming and my fingers walking on the strings then I see my wife opening the door and saying "hey that sounds really good".
Then she gives me a kiss, smiles and grabs my coffee cup saying "let me get you some more" and walks out of the room...
That is enough to feed my soul for that moment.
I wish everyones' life filled with a lot of moments like that!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I love that part. IMHO that is the "Perfect" explanation of what truly being a "musician" means... And I don't mean to be a professional musician who fills the stadiums or earn Grammy but rather create something within our own capacity and experience the other people listening and enjoying or praising our creation.
Sometimes I lose myself in my room with guitar while daydreaming and my fingers walking on the strings then I see my wife opening the door and saying "hey that sounds really good".
Then she gives me a kiss, smiles and grabs my coffee cup saying "let me get you some more" and walks out of the room...

You sound like a lucky guy Jim. ;)

Reaction score

Why not get your system set up to record your guitar playing?

There is then the basis of your jingle, layer other sounds and rhythms and there you go.

You can probably do this already if you have a Looper, I used to do this using my Boss GT100.

With a GT1000 you I am sure would have far more fun learning about it and adding a Roland drum machine to it and you have a system based on your guitar.

Gary is right though, if you seriously want to improve your keyboard skills then a workstation would certainly get me playing rather than a dumb MIDI keyboard and software.

I know you have had a Genos, I am not a fan of Yamaha much preferring Korg and their arrangers and Nautilus models will do what you seek. As will the Roland Fantom 08/07/06 and if I was to chose one of these it would be the 07 as that has an inbuilt sequencer and you can input your guitar into it to record in the one box.

Reaction score
Well, today I went again to play with the keyboards at my San Jose, CA GC since they have a lot of floor models but since weeks there was no "New in box" units. Everything had to be ordered no matter what you want except few cheaper Yamaha and Casio keyboardfs and of course those controllers like Arturia etc.

Anyways, I was talking to Roland rep in the store regarding various keyboard models and during the conversation I said "I know you guys do not have any in stock right now but..." rep interrupted me with "actually we just got one Juno-X yesterday and that's it, still sitting in its sealed box"....

Guess what happened next? We were loading the box to my car and currently on its stand next to me.
He said take this home try it for up to 45 days and if you don't like it bring it back and then we can get you something else... He was talking very positively about me trying Fantom 07, when I mentioned him what I am trying to accomplish.
But since this one was ready to go in their stock I couldn't pass.
I have to start somewhere, right? So why not with this one...
I'll update you guys how it goes for the next month or so.
Now I am drowning in video tutorials and manuals etc.
Wish me luck!

P.S. Thank you for all the advices along the way. I truly appreciate the help!

Reaction score
What’s not to like 45 day “free” trial.

I’d be tempted to try it, return it and then try a Fantom 07 for another 45 days.

The 07 is what I suggested you consider, still think it will do what you want better but time will tell.

Its called “doing a Kaneda”, being a serial trade-inner

Reaction score
What’s not to like 45 day “free” trial.

I’d be tempted to try it, return it and then try a Fantom 07 for another 45 days.

The 07 is what I suggested you consider, still think it will do what you want better but time will tell.

Its called “doing a Kaneda”, being a serial trade-inner
Hey, if it's offered, why not to use the option, huh?
Not using the 45 day "trial" option feels like turning down a beautiful girl who's asking to go out for a date... (in my younger and single days of course ;) "

Reaction score
Hey, if it's offered, why not to use the option, huh?
Not using the 45 day "trial" option feels like turning down a beautiful girl who's asking to go out for a date... (in my younger and single days of course ;) "
I did not turn mine down, I went on to get married to her.

Ask a Question