I cant view .sty style on my psr i425...

Reaction score
I can't view 70's glampiano sty file which i have downloaded from the web... i all ready loaded it on my key board and i already converted in to sff1 but it is not displaying.... what selections would i delete...i found a software to delete selections but the software is not running on my pc..

Attachments

• Screenshot (46).png
    Screenshot (46).png
    317.3 KB · Views: 77

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
PSR-I and related models can, as far as I know, use only the following 10 style sections, at least in theory:

- Main A
- Fill In AA
- Fill In AB
- Intro A
- Ending A
- Main B
- Fill In BA
- Fill In BB
- Intro B
- Ending B

However, due to limitations imposed by their panel controls and possibly also by their operating systems, some of the Fill In sections cannot be triggered from the panel controls, and there has been some doubt expressed as to whether both Ending sections-- and perhaps also both Intro sections-- will be played by some models.

All of the Intro and Ending sections can be used on my PSR-E models, but the specific Ending cannot be manually selected per se as on higher-end models (PSR-S and above). I don't have access to other models such as the DGX where doubts have been expressed on this issue, so I don't know for sure about them, but it shouldn't hurt to go ahead and include all of the Intro and Ending sections.

On the other hand, my limited experiments with test style files has suggested that trying to include all of the Fill In sections might cause the keyboard to get confused about which one it's supposed to use, with the result that it might simply ignore the Fill In, but I would need to do more testing to confirm or refute that suspicion. In any case, since you can trigger only two of the Fill In sections from the panel, there is little point in trying to include all four of the Fill In sections.

So I would recommend sticking with the following sections:

- Main A
- Fill In AB
- Intro A
- Ending A
- Main B
- Fill In BA
- Intro B
- Ending B

You can use the "Style ReMixer" utility from Jørgen Sørensen's JoSoSoft.dk website to delete any unwanted or unusable sections from a style file, and you can also use that utility to move any unusable sections to the usable sections. For instance, you could simply remove all sections of the C and D variations, or you could do something like move Main C to Main A and move Main D to Main B, or "remix" the sections in other ways.

As far as that error message you are getting, you should be able to get around it by downloading the file but not trying to install it or run it right away. Instead, open the folder that the file was downloaded to-- which will most likely be the Downloads folder-- right-click on the downloaded file, select Properties, look at the bottom of the file Properties window for a Security message that says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" or something similar to that, put a check in the little box that says Unblock, and then click OK. Then you should be able to install and run the program without getting that error message.

Note that you should only do the procedure described above if you downloaded the file yourself, you know what it is, and you trust the site that you downloaded it from. Jørgen Sørensen, his site, and his software can be trusted. But generally speaking, you do not want to simply unblock every unknown file that has gotten downloaded onto your computer.

Also, check the filename of the style file to be sure the name isn't keeping it from being displayed. In particular, if you see a period followed by a letter and a three-digit number, such as ".A123" or something similar, then you should rename the file to remove that period and the four characters which immediately follow it, because the keyboard will be confused by them and think they are part of the file extension. These are "icon IDs" which are used by higher-end models (PSR-S and above), but PSR-I and similar models cannot use or understand them.

And if the file extension is not ".sty" then you should change it to ".sty" or else the keyboard will not recognize that it is a style file.

Note that Windows might be configured to hide the file extensions on files, so you may need to click on the View menu at the top of the File Explorer window and put a check in the little box that says "File name extensions" so Windows will show you the file extensions as part of the displayed file names. This will also let you remove or change the file extensions when you are renaming files. If you do change a file extension within the filename-- and note that Windows may think that the extra icon ID is part of the file extension-- then Windows will probably pop up a warning that the file might become unusable if you change its extension, but in this case you can ignore that warning because you actually need to change the file's extension to make it usable.

Last edited:

Ask a Question