I want to learn

Reaction score
I'm new to keyboards and pianos. I really want to learn how to play and am looking to purchase a new keyboard.

I've searched on Amazon and found a number of affordable keyboards but am not sure what makes one better than the other. For example, I notice that some have more keys than others. Is it important to get the one that has more keys?

Here are some that I found and any input on these would be greatly appreciated.

Casio CTK-2000 Premium Pack (comes with stand, power supply, headset)

Casio CTK-3000 Premium Pack (comes with stand, power supply, headset)

Casio LK100 Lighted Keyboard Premium Pack (comes with stand, power supply, headset)

Yamaha EZ200 61 Full-Sized Touch Sensitive Lighted Keys Bundle (comes with stand, power supply, headset)

Or if you have any other keyboards that you think are good I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks

Reaction score
'
It's always nice to see someone who's eager to learn, but to be honest with you these type of keyboards

are not much more than toys..... which is all you'll get in that sort of price range .

Out of the ones you listed, the Yamaha is probably the best option.

Good luck.

Reaction score
I would not recommend these models if you want to play in a professionnal band next month. But if you are a beginner, why not? I'm always amazed when somebody pays several hundreds dollars for a brand new, high quality musical instrument, then tries to learn "Twinkle, twinkle little star" with it, and eventually lose interest. Begin with something affordable, and upgrade while you improve your skills!

If you want to take lessons: it would be better to take some buying advice from the teacher first. (I still remember the reaction of my classical guitar teacher when I entered the room with my brand new...western guitar!)

If you want to learn by yourself and play for your own enjoyment, they seem to be good entry level keyboards. Check if all of them are touch sensitive: this is really important if you want to play with some expression in your music.

Reaction score
If you live near an urban area, check your local Craigslist. Lots of people sell these entry-level keyboards dirt cheap, cause of course they upgrade or lose interest or their kid loses interest. Some ads say "used once" or "never used, my kid decided to play drums instead."

Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I have always wanted to learn to play and hope that I follow through. I have found a keyboard that seems to be step up from the ones I listed above and will be purchasing it soon.

I'm going to go with the Casio WK500 76. It has 76 keys and it also has "touch sensitive". I'll probably wait a few days before buying to see if anyone has any input on this particular keyboard.

Thanks everyone and wish me luck :).

Reaction score
Sorry about that jpscoey :).

Thanks for the input though. I'm looking forward to getting started. First difficult song I want to learn would be "Linus and Lucy" :).

Reaction score
if you're a beginner - don't buy any keyboard for more than 50 bucks. You'll be learning scales, and tecnique. That will take you quite some time to get it right, no matter what type of music you will play.

As mentioned above, there are numerous examples of people buying expensive instrument, and after a month or so it just becomes a furniture.

Reaction score
i purchased a yamaha s08 a couple years ago with the same thinking as you. i have since been playing in a band and have found that the s08 is sometimes inadequate for my situation, but was great for beginning. 88 weighted keys with some fair piano sounds and very poor organ sounds. i guess it depends on how serious you are!

Reaction score
if you're a beginner - don't buy any keyboard for more than 50 bucks.

This is BAD advice.

For that sort of cash you will only find keyboards with mini-sized keys.

They are neither the same length nor width of keys you get on a 'normal' keyboard, so when/if you progress.....

you'll have to start all over again.

Reaction score
always cheap is not my advice

My advice is to invest into a quality instrument commensurate to the level that you want to acheive the first time. I purchased a somewhat entry level keyboard for nearly $1000 when I should have spent the xtra $500 to purchase the better keyboard. Now I will have to invest an additional 2 grand to get to the keyboard that I should have purchased the first time.
To make it short, if you want to be a so-so player buy a so-so keyboard.

Ask a Question