If you sing, don't drive...

Reaction score
Years ago I sort of attracted a traffic fine for singing too.

It was back in my 20's when I was playing in an "originals" band, and we'd written a new song the night before at rehearsal. I really liked it and couldn't get it out of my head the next day driving to work.

I'm driving along, oblivious to the world around me, singing this song, in a great mood. Next thing I know there's a police car in front of me with lights flashing asking me to pull over.

I'd unwittingly driven through a school zone without slowing down. It didn't register because I was distracted by singing the song, and there were no kids around, and was driving at an unusual time of day (for me). The police officer was just waiting there ready to catch idiots like me.

He asked me "is there any reason you didn't slow down"? I was honest, I just said "no excuse, I was distracted and not concentrating".

Can't remember how much the fine was, but suffice to say it was a good lesson to be more mentally present when on the road.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Distracted driving is a $500 fine in Ontario. Couple that with speeding in a school zone you'd be looking at $1000 in fines and 6 points off of your license here. :eek:

A good cautionary tale Paul.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For sure Gary, I was young and silly back then.

Would be a similar here penalty here these days too. The definition of "distracted driving" here in Australia is playing with your mobile phone etc. and the police are very hot on it.

Of course my tale harks back from the dim dark days when there was no internet, no mobile phones, etc. so it was really "just" a speeding fine, albeit I was most definitely distracted!

Reaction score
I guess I need to be more careful then. I just picked up the latest Deep Purple cd last week and a couple of songs for some unknown reason make my right foot get very heavy.
Hmmmm. Maybe I should just get an M1 Abrams tank. Then it wouldn't matter!
Of course this only happens after I win the lottery!
"Outa my way! Yer going too slow! Listen to metal!"
Yeeee haaaw!
That kind of thing!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Paul >>> Here in Ontario distracted driving is nuts. It includes devices like cellphones and GPS but also stuff like swatting a bee or losing focus. If you're at fault in an accident they automatically slap on a distracted driving charge unless you have a hell of a good explanation for it.

For that matter, if you are caught dozing off at the wheel they consider that to be an impaired driving charge regardless of any substances in your system or not. It results in automatic suspension of license and impounding of the vehicle.

To be fair Southern Ontario has some of the most congested highways and worst drivers in the world, but a lot of newcomers to the country are wealthy and don't give a damn. They drive supercars, pay the fines and hire lawyers to get their licenses back and continue to terrorize the highways in their Lexus, Benzes and Beamers :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Years ago I sort of attracted a traffic fine for singing too.

It was back in my 20's when I was playing in an "originals" band, and we'd written a new song the night before at rehearsal. I really liked it and couldn't get it out of my head the next day driving to work.

I'm driving along, oblivious to the world around me, singing this song, in a great mood. Next thing I know there's a police car in front of me with lights flashing asking me to pull over.

I'd unwittingly driven through a school zone without slowing down. It didn't register because I was distracted by singing the song, and there were no kids around, and was driving at an unusual time of day (for me). The police officer was just waiting there ready to catch idiots like me.

He asked me "is there any reason you didn't slow down"? I was honest, I just said "no excuse, I was distracted and not concentrating".

Can't remember how much the fine was, but suffice to say it was a good lesson to be more mentally present when on the road.
You folks should come to the UK.

We have no Cops, or rather we have no Cops on patrol, there simply is not enough money to fund them.

Not all plain sailing though, one has to be alert.

Instead of mobile Cops we have fixed Gatso cameras, painted bright yellow so we can see thenm a mile off, speed up to them, slow down through the measuring zone, then floor it again.

There are also mobile speed vans that stop, put our road cones front and rear, and long offenders, again they are easily seen 1/2 mile ahead. They also post on the web where they are going to be on a specific day and at what times.

We are increasing having average speed camera installed, we have to keep the speeds down to the posted limits then for sure.

Unlucky enough to get caught doing over 90 mph then technically you loose your license, unless you can plead that hardship will result in which case you get a heavy fine related to your salary. Then your Insurance skyrockets, and does so for 7 years.

Yep, its fun driving in the UK.

Reaction score
I work in Pickering and live in Toronto. For those of you who don't know, this is about a 15 minute drive on a huge multi lane highway driving at about 120 KPH.
For some reason, some people like to talk with their cell phones held flat in their hands with the phone on speaker.

On the way home, I used to have to run the gauntlet and try to safely pass this young Chinese girl who would be talking on her phone this way while driving on the highway. The highway is called the 401 for those who are interested. She was also one of these annoying people who just HAD to talk with their hands so this meant that a lot of the time she had NO HANDS on the freaking steering wheel! Her car would drift through 3 lanes while she merrily chatted away oblivious to the dangers she was putting everybody else in. When she drifted to the right I would just mat it and hopefully scream past her before she drifted into my lane.
I haven't seen her in several months now though. I wonder why?
Don't they have gadgets that let you talk on your phone without having to hold it in your hands?
Yes, I know they do. My car has it built in. I rarely use it. Unless it's an absolute emergency, I don't want to talk on the phone while I'm driving. That's just me though. I have friends who feel that if they are not talking while they are driving, their lives are not complete. I have to admit that I don't get it. But then again, I'm old. I can enjoy peace and quiet. Or music in my car.

"I don't like to drive too crazy. I might spill my whisky!"

Reaction score
A few years ago I was driving at 70mph on one of our three lane Motorways (that is our speed limit and I will not exceed it honest).

This Merc passed me and the woman driving had her laptop on the dash in front of the speedo pod and she was busy typing away. As her head was also firmly clamped on her left shoulder I presume that she was also on her mobile at the same time.

Another different aspect of idiot drivers.

One thing I just cannot understand about van drivers, why is it always the driver who is on his mobile when there is one or two others with them in the cab?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ours in the UK like to read the paper whilst driving.

I was watching Sky News on my Roku Box this afternoon and saw how Britain is dealing with 10 Cm. of snow. You even have a catchy name for it. The "Beast from the East" :D :D :D

Here's a small example of what snow looks like in a typical Canadian City in a Typical January or February...

This was my front yard in 2008.

We had a similar winter in 2007 as well,

moresnow-1.jpg
moresnow-2.jpg
moresnow-3.jpg

To be honest it utterly amazes me the UK is utterly paralyzed by 10 to 15 cm of snow :D :D :D

I mean even train service is paralyzed according to the media, :D

Seriously folks, at least get a decent set of all season tires on your vehicles :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question