IPad Air M1 USB-C and Apple lightning to USB3 adapter

Reaction score
I have a Korg Liano to mess around with iPad music software and I'm using the Apple lightning to USB3 camera adapter to connect the Liano to the iPad. For the moment, that's a 9th Gen entry leven iPad with a lightning port.

However, I would like to take the iPad music thingy a bit more seriously so I'm looking into buying either the 2022 10.9 inch iPad Air M1 or maybe even the 12.9 inch iPad Pro M2.
In any case, both these tablets no longer have a Lightning port but rather a USB-C one.

This means that I can no longer use the lightning to USB3 adapter. Shame, it's a neat little thing, giving me power and data at the same time. So, what's my alternative ? A USB-B to USB-C cable should be easy to find, but that's only for data. How do I solve the power problem ?

Been Googling and looking at all kinds of cables and adapters but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Or am I missing something ?

Reaction score
Yes you have missed seeing what you need.

It is the Apple AV adaptor, USB C plug, with USB C, HDMI and USB A sockets.

Hence a USB B to USB A cable ie standard Printer cable will connect keyboard to an iPad with a USB C socket.

The image is the adaptor that I use with my iPad Pro.

IMG_4307.jpeg

Reaction score
I have looked at that one but not sure if it will provide power to the iPad.
So USB-B from the piano to USB-A in the adapter, and the USB-C plug goes into the iPad.
But can I then take the charger that came with the iPad and plug that USB-C cable into the USB-C port on the adapter to provide power ? Or does any of the three ports on the adapter only work one at a time ?

Edit : never mind, it does provide charge. Didn't read the 'manual' thoroughly ;)
Thanks !

Last edited:

Ask a Question