Recording iPad vs Windows

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not the most versatile or knowledgeable in the recording world, but I have my experiences and want to troubleshoot where google would not find answers for me.

I have plugged USB direct from my keyboard and electronic drums direct into my iPad Pro 2018 and have had ZERO issues with latency or recording. Been able to literally plug in, hit record, and make magic happen. Edit. Shift. Cut. Change. No issues whatsoever.

I have a Maingear Element E-2 laptop. i9 processor. 32GB of RAM. Memory up the wazoo. AKA a computer you should NEVER have to worry about processing power or latency and the price tag proves it. I am USB direct from keyboard into laptop THE EXACT SAME CABLES AND METHODS as it was into my iPad. But I experience delays galore, issues, can't make it record properly, etc.

Is this just Apple? Does apple just work better direct in? I'm not using a audio interface because I am USB direct in, straight from keyboard into computer. Am I missing something? When I do the EXACT SAME THING with iPad, it works *flawlessly*. But when I plug into Windows computer that is extremely over-specced for what it should be capable to do, issues galore.

Reaction score
It could be as simple as turning on Game Mode in the settings or way more complicated.

Read this

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not the most versatile or knowledgeable in the recording world, but I have my experiences and want to troubleshoot where google would not find answers for me.

I have plugged USB direct from my keyboard and electronic drums direct into my iPad Pro 2018 and have had ZERO issues with latency or recording. Been able to literally plug in, hit record, and make magic happen. Edit. Shift. Cut. Change. No issues whatsoever.

I have a Maingear Element E-2 laptop. i9 processor. 32GB of RAM. Memory up the wazoo. AKA a computer you should NEVER have to worry about processing power or latency and the price tag proves it. I am USB direct from keyboard into laptop THE EXACT SAME CABLES AND METHODS as it was into my iPad. But I experience delays galore, issues, can't make it record properly, etc.

Is this just Apple? Does apple just work better direct in? I'm not using an audio interface because I am USB direct in, straight from keyboard into computer. Am I missing something? When I do the EXACT SAME THING with iPad, it works *flawlessly*. But when I plug into Windows computer that is extremely over-specced for what it should be capable to do, issues galore.
My suggestion is to get an audio interface between your keyboard and your computer.

Reaction score
How do you plug a USB keyboard into an audio interface? I've only seen MIDI and 1/4" on interfaces, no USB-A plugins.

Ask a Question