Is DAW a necessity or a Luxury?

Necessity or Luxury?

• Necessity

• Luxury

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Good catch, Gary! Reminds me of a joke. There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can count and, ummm.

As for the DAW question. Reaper is also supposed to be pretty good. I myself use Cubase but it's not for the feint of heart. I think that in some ways, they are all kind of similar in that there is a somewhat steep learning curve. At least there are a lot of people who are willing to keep. As far as I know, there are online forums fro pretty much every DAW out there.
Another route to go is a dedicated recorder. There are quite a few of them out there too. I have an old Yamaha AW16G but it predates USB. I can record up to 16 tracks on it and then mix them down and burn the song that I recorded onto a CD. The advantage to a gadget like this is that it comes ready to record onto. You still have to learn all the ins and outs and don't forget, the terminology can be daunting too.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. We're here to help!

Best of Luck
Jeremykeys

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've used Reaper before but didn't like the interface. The only way to import a MID file is by drag and drop (no file menu). That and a few other bits turned me off of it.

I keep coming back to Cakewalk which I mention quite clearly way back in this thread.

And if you are afraid of gadgets you have no business trying to create electronic music.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've used Reaper before but didn't like the interface. The only way to import a MID file is by drag and drop (no file menu). That and a few other bits turned me off of it.

I keep coming back to Cakewalk which I mention quite clearly way back in this thread.

And if you are afraid of gadgets you have no business trying to create electronic music.

Gary ;)
Gary, that's a little cruel - "And if you are afraid of gadgets you have no business trying to create electronic music." I love making music but I am 71 years old and did not grow up around such "gadgets." Man, you have a great sense of humor but your comment hurts a little.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Louis I'm simply trying to be honest.

You will find yourself wading thru thousands of pages of technical jargon and unless you hire a some helper monkey fresh out of college you will probably get lost in all the button pushing and menu diving.

It takes decades to get a handle on the ever-changing technology and it never stops coming.

Like the song says, "You've gotta be cruel to be kind"

Gary ;)

Reaction score

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're a surviving septagenarian then you must have figured out by now how to roll with the punches and handle a joke as a joke. (?)

There is a lot of truth in my flippant comment about daring where angels fear to tread.

A keyboard is not like a guitar. You don't just pick one up at Costco and assume that you will sound like Rick Wakeman.

I started out relatively older as well and I will assure you that it can be done.

But it takes the dedication of a Saint Bernard to the craft to be able to make progress instead of leaving it to gather dust in the attic.

And for all my years I started a good deal younger than you are currently.

I do occasionally assist seniors with their computer problems and have done so quite extensively in the past.

But before you start to dig a hole for a swimming pool you gotta be goldang sure you aren't going to end up with a sinkhole.

In my experience self-confessed "technophobes" require several orders of magnitude more hand holding and dissection of every detail, I no longer even try to keep up with all of them any longer.

So, as a forthright initial contact in our pending relationship, exactly how needy are you?

Peace :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Oh how I wished I had picked up on Gary’s gaff before he did himself :cool:

Louis, you will learn that Gary punches straight and true and can be well a bit sharp in his responses but he is very helpful and knowledgable and this forum would not be the fun place to hang out without him so just smile and accept that he his probably high on Spliff. :eek:

I to am a septuagenarian and things take longer to learn than when I was but a mere slip of a lad. Learning a DAW is not for the faint hearted which is why I asked if you had a Tablet, for an iPad and Garage Band and Music Studio gives you two DAWs that are far easier to learn and to use than on on a PC.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Louis, you will learn that Gary punches straight and true and can be well a bit sharp in his responses but he is very helpful and knowledgable and this forum would not be the fun place to hang out without him so just smile and accept that he his probably high on Spliff. :eek:

I to am a septuagenarian and things take longer to learn than when I was but a mere slip of a lad. Learning a DAW is not for the faint hearted which is why I asked if you had a Tablet, for an iPad and Garage Band and Music Studio gives you two DAWs that are far easier to learn and to use than on on a PC.

Proper spelling is "Gaffe"

"Gaff" is a fisherman's landing tool.

:p

And now to meditate myself into my own navel and disappear forever! :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you're a surviving septagenarian then you must have figured out by now how to roll with the punches and handle a joke as a joke. (?)

There is a lot of truth in my flippant comment about daring where angels fear to tread.

A keyboard is not like a guitar. You don't just pick one up at Costco and assume that you will sound like Rick Wakeman.

I started out relatively older as well and I will assure you that it can be done.

But it takes the dedication of a Saint Bernard to the craft to be able to make progress instead of leaving it to gather dust in the attic.

And for all my years I started a good deal younger than you are currently.

I do occasionally assist seniors with their computer problems and have done so quite extensively in the past.

But before you start to dig a hole for a swimming pool you gotta be goldang sure you aren't going to end up with a sinkhole.

In my experience self-confessed "technophobes" require several orders of magnitude more hand holding and dissection of every detail, I no longer even try to keep up with all of them any longer.

So, as a forthright initial contact in our pending relationship, exactly how needy are you?

Peace :)

Gary ;)
I do not NEED anything, Gary. I have fun making music just for personal pleasure. Note: I've had my keyboard now for seven years. I also play a little guitar for the same reason but, unlike you, I find guitar much harder to learn. BTW, I did not go to Costco to buy my Strat. So there's something else to criticize me for. Perhaps you are a PRS fan? Gibson? If I bother you for some reason (lack of computer skills) then it seems simple. Don't bother answering my questions. I would like very much to be friends but that is up to you.

Reaction score

I know the feeling about learning new things when we age. Sadly I have a PC. I like to smoke ganja myself and have done it all my adult life.

Reaction score
Good catch, Gary! Reminds me of a joke. There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can count and, ummm.

As for the DAW question. Reaper is also supposed to be pretty good. I myself use Cubase but it's not for the feint of heart. I think that in some ways, they are all kind of similar in that there is a somewhat steep learning curve. At least there are a lot of people who are willing to keep. As far as I know, there are online forums fro pretty much every DAW out there.
Another route to go is a dedicated recorder. There are quite a few of them out there too. I have an old Yamaha AW16G but it predates USB. I can record up to 16 tracks on it and then mix them down and burn the song that I recorded onto a CD. The advantage to a gadget like this is that it comes ready to record onto. You still have to learn all the ins and outs and don't forget, the terminology can be daunting too.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. We're here to help!

Best of Luck
Jeremykeys
Thanks for your advice, Jeremy!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm feeling apologetic today and wish to express my regrets at my earlier verbal outbursts.

I spent most of my adult, working life doing tech support and nothing strikes deeper terror into our hearts than the phrase "Senior Technophobe."

You caught me on a day I was off my meds man. :)

No hard feelings buddy.

Now I'm going to light up a spliff and attempt to play along with Renaissance's Prologue Album :D :D :D

If they never find my body tell them I went down swinging. Not faking my own death for tax reasons :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm feeling apologetic today and wish to express my regrets at my earlier verbal outbursts.

I spent most of my adult, working life doing tech support and nothing strikes deeper terror into our hearts than the phrase "Senior Technophobe."

You caught me on a day I was off my meds man. :)

No hard feelings buddy.

Now I'm going to light up a spliff and attempt to play along with Renaissance's Prologue Album :D :D :D

If they never find my body tell them I went down swinging. Not faking my own death for tax reasons :D :D :D

Gary ;)
Thanks so much, man. I feel better now. I hate having stress and this is really a relief to me. I'm really not a "Senior Technophobe" but I am a self-admitted "Senior Techno-idiot." I spent my working career as a commercial construction electrician. I enjoy comping chords to Steely Dan. I love their complex music. May I ask who your favorite keyboard player is? I'm really fond of the late Jon Lord. I have some eclectic likes. Top five bands are Steely Dan, The Kinks, Frank Zappa, Deep Purple, and Kansas. Also love electric blues like Savoy Brown, Tinsley Ellis, etc. Thanks again for this message. As Seasick Steve says "what's the matter with love and peace"? No hard feelings, happyrat1.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You smell OK. We can be friends now. :)

Next we swap spit in the shower :D :D :D

As for discussing favorite bands there are a dozen other threads on the board.

Surf to your heart's content and learn what we're all about (and maybe pick up some jargon along the way) and jump in when you feel comfortable.

We can bite but we rarely devour our prey. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I use the MPC-one a lot. It is the center piece for all connected gear:

* Acces Virus TI2 Keys (masterkeyboard)
* Behringer 2600
* Moog Sub 37
* Wavestate
* Doepher Dark time
* Behringer Crave
* Waldorf rocket
* Roland D110
* Roland JV80