Is DAW a necessity or a Luxury?

Necessity or Luxury?

• Necessity

• Luxury

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Nice collect6ion of gear! For years before I bought a decent computer and Cubase, I used a Yamaha AW16G digital recorder. I still have it and occasionally use it but mainly I use Cubase. I also sometimes just set up some synths to play themselves, run therough my mixer and go straight into my camera for YouTube videos.

Reaction score
I try to compose DAW-Free on my MPC (also used as a full blown sampler/audio recorder). Only in the last phase of composing everything goes to my computer for the finishing touch. In my opinion everything is much more organic that way

Reaction score
I'm of 2 minds on that subject. It all depends of the kind of music that I'm writing. If I'm writing a song with vocals, guitars etc, then a DAW works better for me but if I'm writing a pure electronic piece, then no DAW works. I'm right now trying to get the clock on my Cubase program to control the sequencer of the Moog Grandmother. no luck yet but that's just because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. And I have the focus of a fly on acid!

Reaction score
I have a Moog Sub37 and it syncs very well with Bitwig-Studio/MPC-One. The Sub is in slave-mode Bitwig-Studio/MPC is in master-mode

There is a sync section in Bitwig Studio, where I can manage all the setting. I think that Cubase has the same.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have a Moog Sub37 and it syncs very well with Bitwig-Studio/MPC-One. The Sub is in slave-mode Bitwig-Studio/MPC is in master-mode

There is a sync section in Bitwig Studio, where I can manage all the setting. I think that Cubase has the same.

Is Bitwig Studio worth the $300 American they charge for it?

What if you need a 2 or 3 machine license?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have Bitwig Studio 3 (249,00 €) installed on just one computer. I think it is a 3 machine license but I am not sure.

And Yes it is a fantastic DAW. Bitwig Studio currently appeals to me more than Ableton or Cubase.

LI :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've downloaded the Linux demo version.

I'll try it out for a few days to see if I like it.

There's also the 16 track version for much less money.

And there's a Winter (Xmas) sale on right now as well.

My versions of cakewalk I run under Wine are getting old and long in the tooth.

I DO, however, absolutely despise paying for software. :p

Linus Torvalds, hallowed be they name... :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I despise having to pay for upgrades. I don't mind paying for software. The people who worked on it need to make a living I think. Only my opinion though. But of course, if I had things my way, I'd be filthy rich and wouldn't need to worry about money instead of still going to work at age 66.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I installed the demo yesterday and shelled out for the 16 track 2 site license version. The notion of paying an annual subscription for updates is bloody criminal. The free trial is pretty much useless since it won't save anything, including settings. The 16 track version also seems to be pretty badly crippled once it's been installed and paid for.

BUT, I'll tell you I'm still using Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 which I purchased 24 years ago and it still works like a charm under Linux Wine and also a copy of Cakewalk Music Creator 5 which is more like 10 years old.

Neither one works well with VST instruments, but that's why I own so much hardware for my productions.

Occasionally I'll fire up Cakewalk by Bandlab under a virtual machine with mixed results.

However, Cakewalk by Bandlab is FREE as in beer, with NO CHARGE AT ALL for the software or the updates.

So far I have to say it's not looking all that good for Bitwig in my studio, Like all modern DAWs it's 98% devoted to software instruments with ridiculously sketchy support for real keyboards, drum synths and modules.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Myself, I tend to prefer hardware gear even though a lot of soft synths sound amazing. As for cracked software. I tend to look at it like pirating music. It's up to the creator to decide if their product is free or not. Me, I buy my software and music except for the music I listen to oh YouTube.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Agreed on software piracy.

ALL my software is either open source or bought and paid for.

I simply do not believe in RENTING software from extortionists. :mad:

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And I'll tell you, I've probably invested over $20K in gear that I've kept for the past twenty years and they all behave beautifully with my decades old hardware and software sequencers.

Not to mention the learning curve of getting into sound creation and production over that time.

Regardless, I'm confident that my work will survive longer than most of the companies who built the gear or sold me the software.

That's the problem with renting a piece of software.

You never know if they will stick around til the end of the party.

Even Cakewalk has changed hands a half dozen times in the past 4 decades.

To be honest, I truly do prefer the relative simplicity of recording with the 90's version of Cakewalk.

If anyone ever tells you they use and understand every feature of a modern DAW call them a liar to their face.

I've bitched about software bloat ever since the days of Win 3.1 but modern DAWs are like some horrible joke gone too far these days.

Apparently nobody thinks MIDI sequencing involves more than hooking up one controller and running 32 simultaneous soft synths on a computer these days.

Some of us prefer to create music on multiple instruments and simply do some MIDI & Sound recording.

And that's another bitch I have about Bitwig. Apparently it can export a MID file just fine, but seems there's no way in hell that you can IMPORT one.

Everyone wants to lock you into their ecosystem.

I'm too old to jump from Cakewalk versions to Abelton or Cubase or Some other idiot's format if there's no interchangeability between the softwares.

I'm sticking with what I've got.!!!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
And I'll tell you, I've probably invested over $20K in gear that I've kept for the past twenty years and they all behave beautifully with my decades old hardware and software sequencers.

Not to mention the learning curve of getting into sound creation and production over that time.

Regardless, I'm confident that my work will survive longer than most of the companies who built the gear or sold me the software.

That's the problem with renting a piece of software.

Even Cakewalk has changed hands a half dozen times in the past 4 decades.

To be honest, I truly do prefer the relative simplicity of recording with the 90's version of Cakewalk.

If anyone ever tells you they use and understand every feature of a modern DAW call them a liar to their face.

I've bitched about software bloat ever since the days of Win 3.1 but modern DAWs are like some horrible joke gone too far these days.

Apparently nobody thinks MIDI sequencing involves more than hooking up one controller and running 32 simultaneous soft synths on a computer these days.

Some of us prefer to create music on multiple instruments and simply do some MIDI & Sound recording.

And that's another bitch I have about Bitwig. Apparently it can export a MID file just fine, but seems there's no way in hell that you can IMPORT one.

Everyone wants to lock you into their ecosystem.

I'm too old to jump from Cakewalk versions to Abelton or Cubase or Some other idiot's format if there's no interchangeability between the softwares.

I'm sticking with what I've got.!!!

Gary ;)
I don't blame you at all for sticking with what works. I'm pretty much the exact same way. I use Cubase because I know it. I first started using it way back when it came with the Atari 1040 ST. It was just a MIDI sequencer then. I've looked at other DAWs but I'm too old to try learning a whole new system. I got a free version of Studio One with my new mixer and I"ve poked around with it but holy crap! It's confusing. The only thing I wanted to use it for was because my mixer had motorized faders and I wanted to incorporate them into my workflow. Fancy toys. Ya know? I like having a mixer as my interface because I don't want to keep reconnecting my various synths. Plus I have a cable for my guitars/bass and I use the amp sims in the DAW. I also have 2 dedicated mic channels. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought the next size up with more inputs but as it is, this one cost me a lot.

Reaction score

That is totaly True !!. I bought Emulator x3 that was a perfect software sampler from EMU. Unfortunately Emu was taken over by Creative in 2009 and some times later Creative stopt supporting Emulator X3 software. When I switched to a new computer in 2017 I could not authorize online anymore = > so I had to trash the software (and the money I payed for it :().

Luckily I still have massive packs of the samples that I developed over a long period at that time. I am currently loading them into my MPC-One (also my main sequencer). It even sounds better :)

Reaction score
I never use midifiles but I think it should be just a matter of dropping your midi file in the arranger. Bitwig should automatically create as many tracks as needed, with one long clip in each track containing all the notes/velocity/cc.

Reaction score
I first started using it way back when it came with the Atari 1040 ST

Me too ....and very reliable..... until better computers made their appearance wither other operating systems that were not compatible. I lost a lot of music by switching computers and instruments (I changed hardware quite often). Now I only record in midi, transfer it to audio as soon as possible, save that to external drives and place the final result on youtube (my archive). That way I hope to never lose anything again:).

Ask a Question