is Korg Kross 2 live sample recording possible?

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble putting this in to words, but I was messing around with my Kross 2 and I wanted to use the sampling pads + looper to create music in realtime.
For instance, I'd like to record a basic drum beat and put it on loop to say, pad 1, and then while the drum beat is playing, I'd like to record another instrument and assign it to pad 2 so I can play it whenever I want over the beat.
The problem I encountered with this is that when I try to record another instrument to pad 2, the looped pad 1 drum beat gets recorded and added/mixed in to pad 2 aswell.

Is there any way to tell the looper/pad sampler to only record whats being played on the keys, instead of everything that's being played globally? Is there any way to do this at all with the Kross, Or does everything need to be prepared beforehand? I'd love to be able to create music live in realtime somehow, and would like to know more infomation about it for the future if it's not possible with the Kross 2, thanks!

Reaction score
Thank Biggles, I've been through the video manuals but couldn't quite find what I was after. When you record an audio sample, it records EVERYTHING currently being played through the Kross, whereas I only want it to record the currently selected program/instrument played on the keys and ignore everything else the Kross is playing (Pads, Drum Track, Arp, etc).

I'd like to record a drum sample and put it on loop on pad 1 for example
Then I'd like to record a second instrument while the drum sample plays and assign it to pad 2 WITHOUT the drum sample being recorded in to the mix too (keeping the two instruments/recordings on seperate pads, instead of having them merge in to one, and without having to pause/mute the Kross's performance first)
Does that make sense?

I'm assuming it's not possible as the audio recording settings are quite limited and doesn't seem to let you specify to ignore the Pads/Drums/ARP, but it does seem like it should be a fundamental thing to be able to do. All the components are there to allow for realtime music making, but this one thing is preventing it from happening, as it forces you to prepare everything you want beforehand, removing any sense of flow.

I did see that you can record from a seperate input source without recording the Kross's current performance with it, but then I'd need another Kross to connect to the current Kross in order to achieve what I want, which would be illogical.

I did wonder what would happen if I connected the output of the Kross to the input of the same Kross, and recorded it like that, but that seems like a stupid idea, curious to know what would happen though. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you find a way to make this work?

I don't believe it's possible, I think the closest workaround I found was loading up the Sequencer, setting it to loop after however many measures, and assigning a program/instrument to a specific section of the keyboard (all assigned to the same MIDI track), hit record, and control which instrument is selected in real-time via the octave switches. Lowering the octave would give me bass, no octave would give me piano, and the higher octave would be, say, drums. You have to adjust each programs pitch so that it counteracts the Octave buttons octave change though, so that when you assign a program to a higher/lower section of the keyboard, it keeps the same octave as if it were being played at the center of a keyboard.

This allows you to continuously play on loop, and add different instruments individually during each loop, thus creating live-layering.

Not sure if that makes sense, or if it's of any relevance, but that's about the best I've got right now.
It's a bit finicky, and might not be ideal for you, but I don't think using the pads in this way is possible, sadly, and this is about the closest alternative.

Ask a Question