Wifi COmputer issues

Reaction score
Since this is the Off Topic area, I thought that maybe, just maybe somebody could help me or at least, offer me some advice.

Here's the scenario. I've recently moved with my wife. We've moved from a 3 bedroom apartment to the top half of a bungalow house.
In our old place we had the wireless modem pretty much in the middle of the apartment and had absolute glitch free wifi all of the time. Except for when there was an external problem of course. But in our home, it worked perfectly. The signal was strong everywhere.

Now here in our house, wifi is pathetically weak. The problem is two fold. First, the landlord, a friend of ours is ot the idea that wifi is unnecessary. Whe he used to live here with his wife the didn't use any wifi at all. He ran cables throughout some of the house except to the living room, and the 2 back bedrooms. He had an office set up in the kitchen. Don't ask why. So he had a cable ran to the kitchen.

He has an old modem connected to 2 hubs and a wireless device. A Linksys 3200. This stuff is all in the basement. Getting a wireless signal upstairs is difficult at best. We can get a signal but it's weak. We're wireless people. Our most used computer is our iPad or our iPhones.

What I want to know is, is there such a device as something that I can plug one of the ethernet cables into that transmits wifi?

I went out and bought a Dlink wifi booster but his Linksys box does not have a WSP button on it so I cna't press it and the one on the Dlink so that the 2 devices can connect to each other.

He's not about to upgrade. He's still running Windows XP for crying out loud. He told me to just go out and buy a booster. He can't wrap his head around the fact that the world is mostly wireless. It's very very frustrating.

Anyway, forgive my rant but if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance as always!

Jeremykeys, the sad poor tethered to a cable guy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
EDIT>>> Fixed broken amazon link...

First of all there should be some method of accessing both the Linksys Wifi Access Point and the Wireless Booster thru a wired connection so you can configure passwords manually.

Secondly, if he's using an 802.11 B/G access point he's still in the stone age. At the very least he should upgrade to an N class device.

Thirdly what's the deal that he controls the wifi? Is he living in your basement?

Fourth. What's stopping you from contacting Rogers or Bell and getting your own cable or fibe hookup in the living room?

Fifth. There's always ethernet over powerlines.

I have an N-Class Wifi router in my living room and getting a signal to the master bedroom means competing with 200 other wifi routers in the building and driving the signal thru two solid concrete walls.

My solution was to install a couple of these to handle my IPTV reception in the bedroom.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU/

There are 1, 2 and 3 port models available and they can be set up all over the house in every room if necessary.

You need a minimum of two of these modules since one acts as a transmitter and the others can be set to receive.

Those handle my Roku and Android boxes while my laptop has a powerful enough radio to connect with my N-Class router in the living room without too much trouble,

My Studio computer is in a bedroom adjoining the living room and therefore only has one wall to bust thru. Furthermore, I was very careful about selecting a good wifi card for that particular desktop computer. No real reception problems there.

Also, look at google and see if there are any software tweaks you can apply to your tablets and computers to improve reception. A lot of operating systems activate power management on wifi by default and reduce power to like 30% of full power.

Just google "slow internet (insert operating system name here) " and you may find a whole bunch of tips for improving performance.

By turning off power management on my linux laptop and desktop I managed to triple my wireless speed.

Any or all of these steps should make your internet bearable in the future.

But I really don't understand why you don't just open your own Rogers or Bell or third party account and have them run wire to an access point at your current legal address.

I recently upgraded to a Worldline account and now have a 50/10 MBPS DSL connection and I cut the cord with Rogers and Bell years ago. My TV comes from an antenna and two Roku and Android boxes, my phone and fax are with Ooma and my total telecom bill these days is under $140 a month including Netflix, Filmon TV and a basic Fido cellphone plan.

The Worldline connection costs me about $63 a month out of that total.

I haven't had a Bell account in almost three years now and I dropped Rogers decades ago.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Plus one more perc for cutting the cord. When I ported my phone number to Ooma I am now able to take my phone number with me no matter where I might move to in the future.

If I'd stayed with Bell I would have lost my 905 number when I moved and would now be stuck with some sh***y 289 nnumber :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That's far easier said than done. We don't pay for internet and I'm good with that. I'm just looking for a gadget that will connect to one of the Ethernet lines and transmits wifi. If I can setk it up with a password, all the better. We don't need I internet in the bedroom because we don't want a tv in the bedroom. Our landline is a VoIP line with Magicjack.
Don't know what a Roku box is. We only have the one tv and it's in the living room.

Reaction score
The only problem you might encounter with WiFi repeaters is that the speed halves at each repeater. This can be a problem if you've got slow speed to start with, but if you've got a fast connection it may not be too bad. If you want a more comprehensive system you want to look at mesh WiFi, but it can be expensive. It works great though.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's far easier said than done. We don't pay for internet and I'm good with that. I'm just looking for a gadget that will connect to one of the Ethernet lines and transmits wifi. If I can setk it up with a password, all the better. We don't need I internet in the bedroom because we don't want a tv in the bedroom. Our landline is a VoIP line with Magicjack.
Don't know what a Roku box is. We only have the one tv and it's in the living room.

In that case, your complaint is "My free internet that I leech off my landlord is neither quick nor reliable enough." :p

Sorry man. No sympathy here.

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I understand completely. My thing with my landlord is the fact that it's part of the package.
Oh well. Not your worry. Just because it's free doesn't mean it's gonna be any good. The people that do pay for it actually somehow pipe it up to their big house 2 hours north of the city because they say they can't get high speed internet yet in the town they live in. Not sure how they're doing it but once I convince them that they don't actually have high speed here either, well, fingers crossed.

No need to reply.

And thanks again! Let's get back to the music and my internet problems can piss off and not be anybody elses worry!
I've got songs to write just like you all do!

Ask a Question