issues with midi please help

Reaction score
Hi all,

• I've hooked my yamaha to my roland as a slave but I've got some questions and encountered some problems.
  • I don't get the same velocity response nor do I get separate volume with my recieving keyboard (yamaha)
  • Do I have to use only the GM voices specified in the Rolands Gm template performance set?
  • I also can't recieve layered performance voices - It will just transmit one of them.
The yamaha is an older model. The roland has both midi gm and midi gm2 capabilities. Also I'm new to the midi world and value your help.
Thanks!
:)
Steve

Roland di, Yamaha Sy85

The Y_man

Reaction score
  • I also can't recieve layered performance voices - It will just transmit one of them.

Hey Steve,

Are you talking about auto-harmony as opposed to layering? MIDI only transmits yur key movements, not the sound.

If it is the auto-harmony, many boards I looked at don't send this over the MIDI

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi all,

• I don't get the same velocity response nor do I get separate volume with my recieving keyboard (yamaha)

A few things to check - make sure the Roland is sending velocity data to the Yamaha (might be a MIDI setting) and that the Yamaha's MIDI receive setting is able to respond to the velocity.

The Y-man

Reaction score
A few things to check - make sure the Roland is sending velocity data to the Yamaha (might be a MIDI setting) and that the Yamaha's MIDI receive setting is able to respond to the velocity.

The Y-man

Thanks Y_man. I'm going to look into that and check to see if the Roland is sending the velocity data. I' m not sure I've saying this right but my example is - when I hit a note forcefully on the Roland, it gives me an expressive snap sound that isn't the same, when playing it the same way on the Yamaha.

In layering on the roland, I can choose to different tones (like grand piano and electric piano) and combine them, edit them and create a performance sound. I am not able to play that performance sound on the keyboard thats the slave.

Steve

The Y_man

Reaction score
Thanks Y_man. I'm going to look into that and check to see if the Roland is sending the velocity data. I' m not sure I've saying this right but my example is - when I hit a note forcefully on the Roland, it gives me an expressive snap sound that isn't the same, when playing it the same way on the Yamaha.

Steve

That's sounding like it could be a velocity "sensitivity" issue between the 2 boards. Not sure if you can adjust it....

The Y-man

Ask a Question