JUNO DS 88 issue

Reaction score
Hey all! I’m the keyboard player for the worship team at church. We just purchased the Roland Juno ds88. Today during service the keyboard starting cutting in and out. It literally sounded like a mic does when the batteries are going out. The sound would be fine and then would be gone. We checked the wires heading to the sound board and all is well with them. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem? Hopefully it’s something with the sound board and not the synthesizer. Thanks!

Chad

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hook something else up to the sound board to eliminate it as the cause.

If it's not the soundboard then it's the keyboard. Exchange it for a new one.

Infant mortality does happen in the best of families sometimes.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey all! I’m the keyboard player for the worship team at church. We just purchased the Roland Juno ds88. Today during service the keyboard starting cutting in and out. It literally sounded like a mic does when the batteries are going out. The sound would be fine and then would be gone. We checked the wires heading to the sound board and all is well with them. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem? Hopefully it’s something with the sound board and not the synthesizer. Thanks!

Chad
Hey Chad, did you figure out what was the problem?

My juno ds88 also is having similar issues. When I play for a couple of songs, it starts to sound choppy. You mostly notice it on piano patches. Like every key stroke will cut off and it won't sustain.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chad never did get back to us so I guess he successfully eliminated the problem.

How does it sound on continuous sounds like strings and winds and synth and organs?

Is the problem isolated to only piano and clav sounds or does it occur regardless of what tone you are using?

Does it occur only on certain notes or octaves or does it range across the board?

Do you have batteries installed or are you running it solely on line power?

Is the keyboard still under warranty?

Any chance you could post a clip of what it sounds like?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Chad never did get back to us so I guess he successfully eliminated the problem.

How does it sound on continuous sounds like strings and winds and synth and organs?

Is the problem isolated to only piano and clav sounds or does it occur regardless of what tone you are using?

Does it occur only on certain notes or octaves or does it range across the board?

Do you have batteries installed or are you running it solely on line power?

Is the keyboard still under warranty?

Any chance you could post a clip of what it sounds like?

Gary ;)
It's hard to tell on strings and pad sounds, but sometimes I can tell something is not right. It occurs across the board. I don't have batteries installed...unless they come installed from factory and I didn't realize it. I'll get a video and post it. Thank you for your help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what are your Attack and Release knobs set to? Try setting them to Midway Position.

If that doesn't fix it, the next step in troubleshooting is to perform a factory reset on the keyboard.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's not the attack and release because if it was it would happen all the time and it only happens after I've been playing for about 10 minutes. How do you do a factory reset?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Back up any important data on your keyboard before proceeding.
  1. Press MENU.
  2. Cursor to "UTILITY" and press ENTER.
  3. Cursor to "FACTORY RESET" and press ENTER.
  4. Cursor to "OK" and press ENTER.
  5. When the reset is completed, power the Juno-DS off and then back on.

If that doesn't fix it I'm fresh out of ideas. Possibly a cold solder joint or a loose wire. Either way it would require surgery.

Does it happen if using headphones?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, Roland's warranty on the Juno is 90 days on labor and 1 year on parts.

Chances are if it needs repair it's gonna cost ya.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
i have the exact problem! anyone fix this, i saw on another forum he had this problem too
I realized the issue I was having stopped once I changed my USER patch. It's weird but if you start to hear that just make a new user patch and see if it goes away.

Reaction score
I realized the issue I was having stopped once I changed my USER patch. It's weird but if you start to hear that just make a new user patch and see if it goes away.
do you also experience the sound like its dying as if the battery or power is not enough and it will start to muffle/distort?

Reaction score
It's hard to tell on strings and pad sounds, but sometimes I can tell something is not right. It occurs across the board. I don't have batteries installed...unless they come installed from factory and I didn't realize it. I'll get a video and post it. Thank you for your help!

my issue was caused when connecting up to a workstation via usb... it grabs the keyboards processor and causes a delay. Prob a set-up or sync issue somewhere, but the keyboard is prostine when disconnected... go figure

Reaction score
my issue was caused when connecting up to a workstation via usb... it grabs the keyboards processor and causes a delay. Prob a set-up or sync issue somewhere, but the keyboard is prostine when disconnected... go figure
Same problem here... I could partly fix it by setting my laptop's settings so that I can't hear the sound from my Juno-DS / via my headphones, but it's pretty stupid to change between those two when you want to actually hear what you've played from your headphones. This wasn't an issue before. Hope there would be a proper way to fix this.

Reaction score
BTW, Roland's warranty on the Juno is 90 days on labor and 1 year on parts.

Chances are if it needs repair it's gonna cost ya.

Gary ;)
only 1 year on parts? I thought Roland gave a longer warranty than that.
That's why I like Sweetwater. You get an extra year from them. I have heard they are very good at covering warrantee work.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
only 1 year on parts? I thought Roland gave a longer warranty than that.
That's why I like Sweetwater. You get an extra year from them. I have heard they are very good at covering warrantee work.

Warranty terms vary according to consumer laws in different countries.

Terms may be different in other sh*thole countries which Trump offended during his reign of terror.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary
I have an issue I think with my Juno. The e flat 6th octave sounds a little dead when in the default piano. Sounds good in everything else.
I recorded flat keys c e f to see if Ucan listen if yours sounds like that. My husband said it’s fine but what does he know lol. Maybe it’s just me.

Ask a Question