JUNO DS 88 issue

Reaction score
Lisa

I would install one of the Tuner Apps on your phone and see what results
I didn’t think to look for a tuner app but what do ya know there are several. I will try that.
thanks
I only know compared to my acoustic piano it sounds kinda dull.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Gary
I have an issue I think with my Juno. The e flat 6th octave sounds a little dead when in the default piano. Sounds good in everything else.
I recorded flat keys c e f to see if Ucan listen if yours sounds like that. My husband said it’s fine but what does he know lol. Maybe it’s just me.

I think it's just you dear. :)

Top octaves on a piano always sound a little tinny.

BTW, I run mine thru a Zoom MS70CDR FX pedal which really opens up the piano sounds as well as the others.

I highly recommend adding one of these effects pedals and you'll hear a 100% improvement in tones.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes it is just me. I tried the tuner app and it’s spot on.
I wear hearing aids (I’m not old!, lol) for a mild hearing loss and sometimes I have to tweak them to adjust the sounds.
I find when I play without them in it is actually better.

Reaction score
I think it's just you dear. :)

Top octaves on a piano always sound a little tinny.

BTW, I run mine thru a Zoom MS70CDR FX pedal which really opens up the piano sounds as well as the others.

I highly recommend adding one of these effects pedals and you'll hear a 100% improvement in tones.

Gary ;)
I will have a look at that. Thank you.
I also realize that i have to elevate my monitors. They are on the floor on foam pads. I think i'll get some stands to raise them.

Reaction score
Sorry to go back to the first post, post I’ve started having this issue to but only on one performance I have created. I’ve layered 4 patches and adjusted the volume of each but that’s all - I have other performances with much more going on and have no issues.

The problem I have feels to me like the keyboard can’t process too many keys being played at once so decides to cut out some of the sounds. For example, I have 2 pianos, strings and a pad layered. If I play a chord with low octaves the low octaves pad sound cuts out after a few seconds when I want them to sustain.

Tried reprogramming under a new performance, have tried initialising unused performances to reduce memory but still having the same issue.

I have tried each individual patch and fine when on their own. Full factory reset will be tried later but not sure this will fix it - any other solutions found?

Reaction score
Update, factory reset didn’t work. Still getting popping and sustain issues on this one performance. I might have to give up and find new sounds ☹️

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, tried this too. Initially had 2 piano patches, a soft pad and strings with no MFX apart from some reverb on one patch which I took out to try and solve the issue. My second thought was piano patches had higher sample rates or whatever so tried dropping one of the 2 piano patches out - didn't work. It seems to be the soft pad I was using (prst: 0968: Soft OB Pad) on the Juno DS88 that was having the issues of dropping out and popping when playing lots of keys. I've now changed to 2 patches in the performance, one which duals piano and pad in one patch and a second piano (Rock Piano) to make it full, cheesy and 80s :D. This seems to have resolved the problem.

It's a shame I had to do this, up until now I have been singing the praises of the DS. Maybe I was just simply asking too much from it for whatever reason on this performance.

Thanks for your suggestions and help :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're welcome.

The Juno DS is a great little board, but it was originally marketed as a Performance Keyboard, not a Workstation.

It has a few little quirks but with a few workarounds it makes a decent poor man's workstation as well.

Still, people sometimes expect too much from a Sub $1000 keyboard.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Absolutely. The DS has been my introduction keyboard, got it second hand for £500 in pretty good nick so was quite chuffed. Had my first gig on keys booked then Covid happened :( So yet to experience a gig on keys (I'm a drummer - bring on the jokes)

Once I get settled with this live and earn some ££ with it I may explore some alternative options. I'm sure this forum will come in handy when the day comes!

Reaction score
Hey all! I’m the keyboard player for the worship team at church. We just purchased the Roland Juno ds88. Today during service the keyboard starting cutting in and out. It literally sounded like a mic does when the batteries are going out. The sound would be fine and then would be gone. We checked the wires heading to the sound board and all is well with them. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem? Hopefully it’s something with the sound board and not the synthesizer. Thanks!

Chad
Its gotta be something with the sound board,,,,but do as I did.... I got so frustrated, that the Holy Spirit showed me why my Keytouch button was staying lit.... I had to chng a setting..... so I'll pray according to James that God gives you all wisdom on how to fix this temporary problem.... Its a great board!!! Please pray for me that I will allow God to use me to bring Glory to Him as I play it,,,, that He will give me songs to lift Him up!!! God bless!!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Its gotta be something with the sound board,,,,but do as I did.... I got so frustrated, that the Holy Spirit showed me why my Keytouch button was staying lit.... I had to chng a setting..... so I'll pray according to James that God gives you all wisdom on how to fix this temporary problem.... Its a great board!!! Please pray for me that I will allow God to use me to bring Glory to Him as I play it,,,, that He will give me songs to lift Him up!!! God bless!!!!

Satan Loves you too brother :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got a new Juno DS-88, and it seems like there is a latency when I play the keyboard. I don't have it hooked to anything... I don't feel like there should be even a slight latency with this board. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? should I try a system reset?? thanks in advance for any direction.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's brand new check the firmware version and if you update the firmware definitely do a factory reset afterwards.

You have nothing to lose with a reset in any case.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you know how to troubleshoot electronics?

OTherwise, try swapping out the power supply.

Failing that, it will have to go to the shop.

Reaction score
Hey Chad, did you figure out what was the problem?

My juno ds88 also is having similar issues. When I play for a couple of songs, it starts to sound choppy. You mostly notice it on piano patches. Like every key stroke will cut off and it won't sustain.
Hey All! I'm having the same issues. When I use the keyboard on Dual mode (Upper/Lower) the sustain gives out. I usually use pads on upper and piano on lower and out of no where in the middle of a song, the sustain cuts out.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I apologize for falling off here. Our issue was the cord from the piano to the input jack on stage. I’ve not had any issues since then.

Reaction score
I have a Roland Juno 88 keyboard. Most all of the piano sounds have quite working for sure and many of the other sounds. Some have of the organ sounds work like they should but some are very soft or can’t be heard at all. I tried unplugging it and turning it off and back on, no change. Any ideas

Reaction score
Hey all! I’m the keyboard player for the worship team at church. We just purchased the Roland Juno ds88. Today during service the keyboard starting cutting in and out. It literally sounded like a mic does when the batteries are going out. The sound would be fine and then would be gone. We checked the wires heading to the sound board and all is well with them. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem? Hopefully it’s something with the sound board and not the synthesizer. Thanks!

Chad
I have the same issue with my own. I guess it's just a shitty board.

Ask a Question