JUNO DS 88 issue

Reaction score
Chad never did get back to us so I guess he successfully eliminated the problem.

How does it sound on continuous sounds like strings and winds and synth and organs?

Is the problem isolated to only piano and clav sounds or does it occur regardless of what tone you are using?

Does it occur only on certain notes or octaves or does it range across the board?

Do you have batteries installed or are you running it solely on line power?

Is the keyboard still under warranty?

Any chance you could post a clip of what it sounds like?

Gary ;)
I have the same issue and it occurs once you play more than a few notes together. Worse if you have two patches or more layered together.
I've not noticed if it happens across all octaves but I think so.
It's not noticeable if you use tones like strings or pad only because you will most likely be playing soft and not jamming

Reaction score
Hey all! I’m the keyboard player for the worship team at church. We just purchased the Roland Juno ds88. Today during service the keyboard starting cutting in and out. It literally sounded like a mic does when the batteries are going out. The sound would be fine and then would be gone. We checked the wires heading to the sound board and all is well with them. Any suggestions on what could be causing the problem? Hopefully it’s something with the sound board and not the synthesizer. Thanks!

Chad
Hi Chad. I also had the same board. I also had the same problems and could never figure out what the deal was. As much as I liked the sounds of the board head, and some of the features that are offered, I ultimately had to make the decision to trade the board for something that was more reliable. I really believe it has to do with the polyphony and the processing power of that board and it's just a sad design flaw that they need to fix. It would be my recommendation that you guys check out some of the privia I really believe it has to do with the polyphony and the processing power of that board and it's just a sad design flaw that they need to fix. It would be my recommendation that you guys check out some of the previa boards keyboards as they are becoming very popular, especially with worship people. if you're still in the first 30 days of owning that board, I would tell your people to send it back as fast as you can and get something else.

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a shitty board at all. I’ve had mine for 3 years or so now. Not one issue. It’s plenty capable.
Maybe check all your inputs and wires.
Of course the board itself could be a faulty one- like in anything you buy there’s always a few that don’t meet the standard.

Reaction score
I've had my DS 88 for 5 years. I've noticed 2 things.

When gigging outdoors during summer months, make sure there is a fan blowing on the board.

Mine has shut off due to overheating while gigging in the sun.

Also, I had drop outs when the power at stage was suspect or uneven. When possible, run through a power conditioner

Other than that, it's a Fabulous Keyboard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a shitty board at all. I’ve had mine for 3 years or so now. Not one issue. It’s plenty capable.
Maybe check all your inputs and wires.
Of course the board itself could be a faulty one- like in anything you buy there’s always a few that don’t meet the standard.
There are a lot of people on different forums complaining of a similar set of issues. It's not suitable for someone who plays in church. I'm really disappointed

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just now read back to the begiining of this thread 4 years ago.

Most of said issues were answered and fixed along the way.

4 years after its release people are complaining "it's a crappy board?"

The overheat issues are usually the power brick. Keep it cool and everything's hunky dory.

As for polyphony issues? Of course if you are layering multiple instruments with long decay envelopes, you are working the DSP to death. It's only 128 notes.

You want better polyphony, buy a Fantom 08 or a Nautilus.

Can people please READ the whole thing, and try some of the fixes before sharing their experiences?

Reaction score
There are a lot of people on different forums complaining of a similar set of issues. It's not suitable for someone who plays in church. I'm really disappointed
Oh well if there are people complaining about the same thing then I guess it is an issue. Maybe contact Roland for a future update addressing it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering the DS is coming on 6 years old now, it's extremely unlikely Roland will supply any upgrades ever again and much more likely they will be releasing an entirely new model in that price range at the upcoming Winter NAMM 2024.

So moaning about perceived issues is pretty much a waste of time.

Reaction score
Hey Chad, did you figure out what was the problem?

My juno ds88 also is having similar issues. When I play for a couple of songs, it starts to sound choppy. You mostly notice it on piano patches. Like every key stroke will cut off and it won't sustain.

Mine too. It’s only 2 years old. I guess it’s a lemon

Reaction score
I encountered a similar issue today, where the sound would cut out after playing a few chords. I realized I accidentally plugged in my damper pedal into the Hold port rather than Control. Seems like this would cause polyphony issues since it is holding onto every key press. Swapping to the correct port fixed the issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I encountered a similar issue today, where the sound would cut out after playing a few chords. I realized I accidentally plugged in my damper pedal into the Hold port rather than Control. Seems like this would cause polyphony issues since it is holding onto every key press. Swapping to the correct port fixed the issue.

Sounds like you had a senior "moment." :)

Ask a Question