Juno DS Pattern Seq no midi out?

Reaction score
Is there a setting to have the pattern sequencer output midi?

I suppose it might conflict with live playing over a recorded pattern (which does send midi), but sheesh. It's fairly limiting to work on a pattern sequence and not be able to record the midi out to your DAW.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
According to the manual, there's an "SMF EXPORT" function that lets you export a pattern to a MIDI file.

Some keyboards (e.g., my Yamahas) have MIDI settings that let you specify the types of parts you want to transmit via MIDI-- e.g., "Keyboard Out" on/off for the Main, Dual, and Split parts; "Style Out" on/off for the auto-accompaniment parts; and "Song Out" on/off for the sequencer parts. However, I don't see anything like that listed in the manual under the MIDI settings.

Furthermore, at the bottom of page 18 of the MIDI implementation guide it says "4. Data transmission (Sequencer Section)"-- "There are no messages to be transmitted." That does seem to imply that there's no option to transmit the pattern sequencer.

If there are no other options, you can create your patterns in the DS's sequencer, export to SMFs, and import the SMFs into your DAW.

Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough answer. I spent tonight setting everything up in my DAW so I have a template to start a somg with all 16 parts setup.

I was planning on doing as you said (in the opposite direction) to import a pattern because in the keys pattern sequencer you can only lock to one groove in pattern sequence mode, once selected you are locked into it. This is going to be my cheat.

The DAW is way more flexible of course and not limited to 8 measures (or 16 cheated at half tempo). But it means I won't be creating too much on the keyboard away from my DAW or have to recreate from scratch any ideas. Not the end of the world. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Export / Import to DAW was stupid simple. But the articulations have lost something. Going to do some more experimentation. Thanks.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
What's your DAW? Some of them don't let you use SysEx messages, and will strip out any SysEx messages from incoming MIDI data streams or when importing a MIDI file. I'm not sure whether SysEx messages are used by the DS for articulations, but if they are, and if your DAW is removing them, you could try using a different DAW to see how it goes.

Reaction score
It's Cubase Artist (latest).
As a test, in the morning, I'm going to import the export back to the DS to see if it's intact. The main difference in the DAW is the portamento is smoothed out. That's not the only problem but the most noticeable.

Reaction score
Prefs -> Midi -> Chase Events -> Sys-Ex = On
That fixed it! Thanks for all the advice.
Cheers.

Reaction score
Correction - it works once through and after loop it smooths out. Hmmmmmmmm? Perhaps that wasn't it.

Reaction score
It's like a note stuck on sustain I think.
That actually fixed it. There was a hanging controller for sustain.
When it looped it smoothed it all out.
Goes to show you at some point you have to get some sleep.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, Cubase DOES allow SysEx. But unbelievably (to me, anyway), Ableton Live, PreSonus Studio One, and Acoustica Mixcraft (which is my favorite) do NOT allow SysEx.

And yes, sleep is good! :) I'm glad you were able to figure out what was causing the problem, and correct it.

Ask a Question